Winglock calls

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Winglock calls

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:57 pm

Ok, I was thinking of get myself a Zink sr-1 or a pc-1, but I was looking back at old posts about favorite goose calls and you guys have just about talked me into going with a Winglock call. Being from Illinois I like to support guys here and this isn't a call I've heard anyone else using and I like to be different. So, looking at the Winglock website there are quite a few choices. So here come the questions:
1) What are the differences between the different materials? Acrylic, walnut, delrin, and so on. Tonal? Pitch? What?
2) I read some guys love the Sudden Impact, why?
3) Anyone tried the long neck call? Any comments?
4) How about cusomter service and such? Anyone deal with em much?
Now this will be my first short reed call and I don't plan on using it this season, unless for some reason I can learn it quickly. I have blown a Grounds super mag and didn't have much luck with it, but it was a buddies and I didn't give it much of a try to be honest. I'm currently blowing a Illusion call. It was supposed to be a snow call but it makes a great canada call. Easy to cluck on and halfway decent moans and doesn't take much air to get it going.
Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:01 am

hey foiles is from Il. and that would be your way to go over winglock, very good call and easy call. i would buy it in acrylic
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby easternshorehunter » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:14 pm

there were some winglock calls at the waterfowl festival today that i was blowing. i could only blow the whisperer and i wasnt great on it. ended up going home with a zink sr-1 in birdseye maple which fit me so much better. blow all kinds of calls and get what you are most comfortable with. you will know in 5 seconds if you like the call or not.
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby plainsman » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:40 pm

I use a Winglock delrin and really like it. Deep and goosey. I prefer delrin over the other materials because the tone doesn't change with the weather like wood will and it's pretty much indestructable.
The sudden impact is a higher pitched call than most of Rick's calls....some will tell you it's more of a comp. type call.
The longneck lineup is supposed to be louder, a little deeper pitched and very easy to operate.I haven't got a longneck.....yet.
Customer service is as good as I've seen from anybody and better that most. E-mailed Rick to ask about getting a couple of spare reeds for the delrin and he sent me 5 reeds for it along with 4 sets of reeds for the double duck call he also knew I had....all at no charge :thumbsup:
The delrin was my first real short reed and I found it very easy to learn with.Buy a Winglock and you won't be dissappointed
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:06 am

I have Ricks calls in all the materials listed. Maple, Acrylic, & Delrin. My choices are the maple or delrin. Ricks calls, produce some of the most realistic goose sounds out there, not to say others don't. My next purchase will be his longneck. :salude:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby doane25 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:54 am

i don want to turn this into some personal issue but i have had some really bad experinces with winglock. they make a pretty decent call, but it is no where close to a zink or a foiles.
doane25
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:39 pm

doane25 wrote:i don want to turn this into some personal issue but i have had some really bad experinces with winglock. they make a pretty decent call, but it is no where close to a zink or a foiles.

Plz elaborate?? :umm:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby fishless » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:43 pm

I just got a Lews goose call the other day it looks good its real loud sounds like a goose and its easy to blow it would be worth checking into also.
fishless
hunter

Postby duckhntr82 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:11 pm

I had a Sudden Impact......great call.......takes a little more air to run but great call.

If you want to kill dem geese.........i would say go with a delrin or acrylic Short reed or Long neck.

I have both and love them both... very easy to blow and pure goose.... the long nect is a little deeper and louder.

Thous two calls take very little air to operate and are my choice in the blind.
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum