Help Identifying a Goose Call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Help Identifying a Goose Call

Postby Dan M » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:16 pm

Hello,
I am new this this forum.

I purchased a home and estate from a Doctor's family several years ago. I recently found a bunch of calls in a closet. There are a couple PS Olt calls, a Cajun call, a Mallardtone call, and a Green Head call.

The call that I am having trouble identifying is a larger goose call. There is no markings on it. I looked on the web, and the closest call that I could find to mine was one posted on ebay. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-nice-OLD-KEN-M ... dZViewItem

The only difference between the one in the link above and that the one that I have is that mine has less of a taper on the end that holds the red reed.

Is there a site with pictures of Goose calls that I could use as a reference?

I am thinking of selling all the calls, along with a pack of reeds, and an old 78rpm record "Wild Duck Calling" by True Calls, Hopkins MN. There is slso a small book that goes with the record; Wild Suck Calling J.R. System by Jimmy Robinson and Watl Bush (True Calls, Hopkins, Minn).

My second question is, am I better off selling all of the calls and related items seperatly, or as a lot?

Thnaks in advance for the help.
Dan
Dan M
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:36 am

if i was to guess you already got it id'ed just a newer style just make sure you let they people know that it is unmarked and you should be good ... i would sell seperatly from what i have done will get a little more but if you want to save time bulk will take the profit down about 15 to 20%
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Help Identifying a Goose Call

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:49 am

Dan M wrote:I am thinking of selling all the calls, along with a pack of reeds, and an old 78rpm record "Wild Duck Calling" by True Calls, Hopkins MN. There is slso a small book that goes with the record; Wild Suck Calling J.R. System by Jimmy Robinson and Watl Bush (True Calls, Hopkins, Minn).

I've heard he is really good, and wouldn't be surprised if he could lead you to the right answer. I'm not familiar enough with goose calls to give you a good asnwer beyond that.
As far as seperating the calls or selling the whole "set" generally you can stand to make more money by selling a collection. There are however, many people who may be interested in one call, and would give you good money for them.

Best of luck, and :welcome: to DHC!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Dan M » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:30 pm

Thanks for the help.

I've been having a lot of fun doing the research on all the old game calls. As it turns out, the most rare call in the collection is the Olt Crow call. It is a 1925 Shur Shot model. Apparently, it was only made for one year because PS Olt infringed upon the Shur Shot tradmark (Remington I presume).

Funny, the more research that I do, the less interested I am in selling the calls. The last time that I went duck or goose hunting was back in the early 70's with my doctor friend. (He was an interesting guy...state trap shooting champion, many first place trophies for goose calling, and a licensened airplane stunt pilot. He also had the nicest collection of Browning shotguns that I've ever seen.) Lately, I am more interested in upland bird and turkey hunting. Maybe it is time to use the old calls, and get back in a blind.

On the other hand, if I decide to sell the calls, will I be considered a spammer if I post the ebay link on this forum?
Dan M
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:03 pm

I'm not surprised to hear that you are becoming more attatched to them. I would hold onto them if I had 'em.
However, if you do decide to sell them, no ebay links are allowed here for an Item you are selling. You are however free to post in the classifieds at DHC, the Items you are selling. Be sure to read all the rules pertaining to the classifieds and note F/S (for sale), or F/T (for trade). You must list the price with the tiems you plan to sell.
And of course, if you do sell...be sure to give us MN guys the first crack at it :toofunny:
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum