New to goose calling, hunting

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

New to goose calling, hunting

Postby Abzack » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:46 pm

Happy new year guys!

Whats a good goose call to start out with for hunting?
Abzack
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:23 pm

the million dollar question. I started with an old old goose call it never did sound very good. I picked up a big river flute. They are easy to use they have great sound and with practice you can cluck and do a feed groan with them. I have called alot of geese with them and when you get better there are some other flutes and short reeds that are totally awesome!
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:10 pm

If you're willing to spend the money and want to start out with a short reed, I recommend Tim Grounds HG 007. Easy blowing mellow little call. If you want acrylic it'll cost you about $110 if you want wood it will cost you about $80. I hated the tone of the wood call, but thats just personally preference. The difference in a wood call and an acrylic, if you don't know yet, is tone and volume. Wood tends to absorb some of your calling a bit, where acrylic will not and other plastics will not as much as wood. I had never used a short reed before other than just messing around with a buddies and when I picked up the 007 it didn't take any getting used to. Now back pressure is needed and if you can grunt into a call it sounds sweet. My buddy got a decent sounding snow call out of it, but I haven't quite mastered that. One last piece of advice, DO NOT buy a call without blowing it. Try before you buy!
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:10 pm

A flute is ok but almost everyone is going to short reeds. If you are just starting out I would go with a moderstly priced short reed. I started out with a Primos just to get the hang of it and after some choice bad words I figured it out. When I felt comfortable with the cheap call I got something better (RNT). For a modertly priced decent sounding call I would try a Mick Lacey, sound decent and not to pricey. Hoped that helped.
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:22 pm

foiles, lynch, or zink short reed all the way
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby green head2 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:24 pm

I have a Zink SR-1 I think is awsome it is wood I blew the acrylic and liked the wood better (personal preference) its easy to blow Just a real nice call Folies is another great call maker I have had several in the past I also blew the money maker the other day it is a sweet call also I must admit I am a zink fan i also own several duck calls from zink also Flutes are blown different than a short reed I personaly would stay away from a flute and go right to a short reed Get some CDs on blowing them and with alot of practice you will be bringing the birds in Good luck
green head2
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:55 pm

HEY!!!! :salude: for us old guys that are using flutes... quit it were gettin ideas. Actually, I am learning how to use a short reed. Bottom line practicin is for places where the geese don't care....hunting is puttin it to practice and makin it work...thanks for the info...I am playing with short reeds and maybe I can make flutes and short reeds work on my lanyard.

:salude: :thumbsup:
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum