Short Reed ?????

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Short Reed ?????

Postby b c g s » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:04 pm

I went to a sporting goods store and tryed a lot of the short reeds and couldn't get them to make a sound ,, the sound that came out sounded like a snow goose not a canadian ,,, I have always used a flute call . I have heard a lot of talk about the short reeds and would like to get one but I didn't like alot of the call that I have tried ( Foiles, Zink , RnT, and another ) I would like to get one for the fact that u can make more sounds ,,, as in being one caller I do alot of calling .

Thanks for all your help

TOM
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

Postby Keith S. » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:57 pm

What ever call you get, get Shawn Stahl's Honker Talk. Best short reed instructional video, IMO. :thumbsup:
Keith S.
hunter

Postby Goosehunter04 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:42 pm

Foiles Strait Meat Honker :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Goosehunter04
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:36 pm

Get Zink's SR-1 Paralyzer, it sounds awesome. Comes with 75 min. instructional video and it will teach you everything you need to know to get all those great sounds out of that call. It's very easy to blow compared to a lot of other short reeds I have blown
quackkiller
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:16 pm

some peopel a shot reed comes nartal but others it takes a lot of pratice on them to make them sound good at all i have a friend that has tryed about half doz "high dollar" shot reeds and jsut couldn;t make them work aways goes back to his 20 dollar big river flute
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Drew Willemsen » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:37 pm

Try getting a short reed that is inexpenisve and practice, practice, practice. I would recommend the echo or the mick lacy short reeds that are around 30 dollars, once you feel confident on those, you can get picky and choose a more expensive acrylic call that suits you well...my.02
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby ken h » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:06 pm

Definately get Stahl video and maybe Zink's. I would kinda disagree with getting a cheapo call to learn on. Contact a call maker and they can turn you a call to fit your style. There are a good number of small time call makers that can turn you a call for lots less than the BIG TIME guys. The call maker should also be able to help you even if it means giving lessons on the phone. Also another option is to go to a game fair and try out several different calls. Hope this helps

Ken
ken h
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:18 am

I used a flute at first, it was a hard transition to go to a short reed, but once you "tune in" which really isn't in the call, but probably more into the type of reed or the adjusting of the reed, (and lots of practice) you'll cringe the next time you here someone blow a flute! Just my opinion but it sounds too "old school"! If I was to make my choice on a low priced, good sounding short reed, Southern Game Calls is the way to go. Once you master a low cost call you'll sound only that much sweeter when you spend the big bucks on a nice acrylic. Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:50 am

I have a meat grinder that is a pretty good call. :thumbsup:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

short reed

Postby sawdoff1972 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:32 am

Go try the Canada Hammer, walmart for 14.00........... great call for killing geese. I have the acrilic version of it , but i blow the policarb when i am out in the field wacking um.
Ram Man
sawdoff1972
Newb

Postby remslider » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:20 pm

The Winglock Delrin and Zink pc-1 are good calls along with the Honker Talk video
remslider
Newb

Postby duckbuster » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:58 pm

go with the meatgrinder, its cheaper plus its rather easy to blow, it will take a lil work but im sure youd be satisfied with it. i know i was
duckbuster
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:45 pm

BCGS and others wanting to learn to call a Short Reed.

The important thing right off is that using a SR is not at all like using a flute call. Most flute callers picking up a SR will fail miserably--as it does not call at all the same method. Many Fute callers have a hard time to cross over to a SR (myself included). Hand positioning is crucial. So the #1 thing is to get a video instructional tape so you can get to see the hands and also professional help to guide you to learn much easier. Zink's is real good, I have not seen Stahls though. From much more experienced SR callers than I, they say Zinks SR-1 is one of the easiest to learn on.

Also consider attending a calling seminar or contest this year. For example, in Iowa, there is the Burlington in Feb. There are seminars and contests all year long. It is good place to learn and to meet like minded people too. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum