whats your best call ever??

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Re: whats your best call ever??

Postby pahunter22 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:35 am

My personal favorite is the Zink MoneyMaker because of the wide range of tones I can get with that one call.
Zink Calls Pro-Staff
pahunter22
hunter

Postby Matt Hogan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:44 am

SR-1 with Zinks bigs in it
Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.
Matt Hogan
hunter

Postby bobalong » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:49 pm

Gk Giant Slayer and Lynch Mob Lawmaker
bobalong
hunter

Postby diesel79 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:07 am

I have two favorites. A DRC Mod and GK Canuck.
diesel79
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Foiles SMH...unfortunately I am too embraced to have the guys call on my lanyard now. So, this year the RNT g3 and the Zink Money Maker will be trying out for the duties of top call. Of course one of them may have got that spot regardless of Jeff's actions.
mccree79
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Gander Valley's new XXX is my go to call now, early season gas been fun and this call is a good part of the reason why. For a small fast call is is just goosey... Very natural sound and the big honks ate it up. Great in hand feel and runs very smooth will be nice for lay out hunts.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby quack-n-stack » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Best call for geese for me is the super mag and redbone speck. For ducks the refuge nvictus.
quack-n-stack
hunter

Postby WiHonker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:20 am

Right now, my 2 favorites are my Canuck and Little Giant in bocote.
WiHonker
hunter

Postby Bgold » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:51 am

My favorite is my committed custom and my 5 in 1 whistle.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Another vote for GK Canuck. They were loving the sweet quick spits from it today!
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby littletom » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Death By Design - Leathel Persusian in hedge the acrylic is great but i like the hedge better. With flyway x broke in guts clear reed. This is a shorter call but not a tiny one. Tad longer than a real thang. My all time favorite out of a bunch i have tried.
You can learn something from everyone, even if what not to do
littletom
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:16 am

I think calling skills as being necessary to successfully hunt geese are often over rated. Take a look at the following videos. Certainly calling was the least important of the variables to killing geese where these guys were hunting. That's one of the reasons I think a newbie should start with a decent inexpensive call ..... so he can move up in quality if he has the inclination to improve his skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muTejbAY9DY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_KXHq4y ... re=related
tripleb
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:30 am

fountain valley 053.jpg

P.S. Olt
Pekin, Illinois
CANADIAN HONKER CALL
Model No. A-50

I was a goose-hunting guide at a fairly large club near Canton, Illinois.
The owner preached to me about calling. He said we had over 10k invested in decoys and I have a $20 call. (over and over)

Decoys are more important than calling imo. I get geese to land in my spread with very, very little calling. I'm really picky about what bunches I try to call. It's wasting your effort to try and call in large flocks because you can only shoot 2 (I hunt alone). I focus on small groups of 2-4 birds and can call a pair over any day when they are "lost" so to speak.

Flock shooting is bad bad bad!

You have to pick your battles is what I'm saying.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:38 pm

I agree...Calling is a tool. Its only a small part of goose hunting. More important is being where the birds wanna be and concealment. You get those two right and your likely in for a great hunt......The problem with most peoples calling is they call constantly from the moment they see the geese. And it doesnt matter if your a good caller or not, that is not goose rhythms and doesnt sound like a geese. Geese have rises and falls in their sequences. In my observations of geese they are generally pretty quiet on the ground and only make a few sounds and only get really excited when they have a dispute or when birds in the air are about to land NEAR them...not when theyre a mile off on their approach.

Both of those you tube videos were brutal. I could not finish them the calling was so hideous. In the second one the big flock at the beginning was wanting to land but the calling was spooking them off IMO. Not only was it unrealistic sounding, the rhythm was way off as well....Probably what tipped them off. No calling or being realistic and they probably would have finished.

In all honesty, you see this all over the net, but get the bad grammar DVD and really watch and listen to what Scott says. If you do you will learn a ton about Canada Geese and their vocalizations. Youll find that when your out in the marsh watching/listening to geese your gonna say to yourself, oh wow yeah, i remember him saying that...His advise truly is spot on so pay attention. If you do it will help make you a better hunter and caller because youll then know when to call and why you are calling to add that extra element of realism to finish geese.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:04 pm

If we're talking hunting, the DRC Short Drop. No doubt in my mind that has upped my goose count. I've had it for 3 seasons now and my guts are money.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby pahunter22 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:44 pm

For me its the Zink Moneymaker.
Zink Calls Pro-Staff
pahunter22
hunter

Postby Bgold » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:16 pm

I have a new favorite.

I like my wing lock!
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:50 am

I have two favorites....My Hedge HYBRID from Gander Valley Custom Calls and my Triplex in Acrylic. This combo gives me everything I need for the small guys and the big locals that hang around. I agree your actual calling style is as important as is the call you prefer to use. I run a lot of calls new offerings from companies and lots from the classifieds to see what works best in certain situations. Both of these calls will run top to bottom flawlessly and feel nice in hand which makes them easier to run IMO. The guy running the company is a real hunter that just gets it, that shows in his service and in his calls.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby NEgander81 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:46 pm

Modified spare parts.....but it's all GK. You only need one call if it has the range, right tune, and volume..... :hammer:
NEgander81
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:27 am

Gander Valley TripleX...One call that does it all!! Range,tone and volume oh yeah :beer: :hammer:
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Fowl-Attitude wrote:Gander Valley TripleX...One call that does it all!! Range,tone and volume oh yeah :beer: :hammer:

Mark owes you goose-boarders a sale, as I finally heard the above often enough to be brainwashed into calling to order a hedge XXX yesterday. Well, that, and I favor short calls with the insert design he uses and think it looks thin enough to take advantage of hedge's resonance. We'll see...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Fowl-Attitude wrote:Gander Valley TripleX...One call that does it all!! Range,tone and volume oh yeah :beer: :hammer:

Mark owes you goose-boarders a sale, as I finally heard the above often enough to be brainwashed into calling to order a hedge XXX yesterday. Well, that, and I favor short calls with the insert design he uses and think it looks thin enough to take advantage of hedge's resonance. We'll see...

I have a Triple X in acrylic and in hedge. Surprisingly, the sound on both was pretty close to the same. There was enough that you'd be able to tell the hedge from the acrylic, but not so much as you might get from other calls. That's not a knock on the hedge call .... just that the acrylic sounds really good, too.

While the calls were pretty easy to run as originally set up ..... I switched out the GVCC reed for an E4 type reed, using the wide end. You lose a bit on the low end, but gain some high end .... which I prefer to have, anyway. My favorite call is a C&S Apostle with the Edge guts, now using the narrow end of the E3 reed, and there was just enough difference in the two calls, Triple X and the Apostle, that if I practiced a lot with the Triple X, I found myself overblowing the Apostle. So, I sanded about .003" off the tuning line end of the tone board, which changed the reed angle and dropped the reed closer to the tone channel, making it easier to blow .... much like the Apostle, but with a bit lower pitch.

The change wasn't necessary, just made for my own personal preference. They compliment each other well now, the Triple X being a little lower in pitch, and are both very easy to run.
tripleb
hunter

Postby wvugunner92 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:25 pm

:hammer: Woah Woah Woahhh .......

I could give a damn whether old Jeffy and his crew are behind bars right now or not, the SMH has got to be the best, followed closely behind by the showtime. I know its kinda of a love or hate with the foiles brand, but thats all that hanging on my lanyard and ive tried just about all of them.

Aside from foiles i do like the John Taylor "shorethings" not sure if any of you guys use them or not...
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

whats your best call ever??

Postby gooseman07 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:33 am

I cant believe no one uses any Tim Grounds. I've used a Real Thang for many years now and I just traded another call for a Super Thang. Haven't hunted with it yet but I can't wait. It sounds super goosey, no pun intended. Three days and I hopefully will be able to try it out.
gooseman07
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:50 pm

I've only ever had two goose calls. A delrin Gander Valley Powerhouse and a Wingnutz Wingmann. The Gander Valley sounds awesome and it was a great call to learn on, but I prefer my Wingmann. I have really small hands and it just fits me so much better. Also, it was tuned just the way I like it, by the prostaffer working the both at Cabela's when I bought it.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum