foiles meatgrinder

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

foiles meatgrinder

Postby decoy23 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:33 pm

does anyone have the foiles meatgrinder. if so how do you like it ... also does it make all the pitch and tones type thing.. thanks for any input
decoy23
hunter

Re: foiles meatgrinder

Postby tripleb » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:42 am

I tried a friend's Meat Grinder a few years after they came on the market. At the time I had an acrylic Power Clucker, which was set up less easy to run than the current poly carb versions of the Power Clucker. The Meat Grinder sounded very much and ran like the acrylic Power Clucker to my ear. It would make all the pitches you need to call geese, though not all those you would need on a contest stage. I can't say how the current versions compare, though.
tripleb
hunter

Postby decoy23 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:43 am

did it require alot of back pressure?
decoy23
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:09 am

decoy23 wrote:did it require alot of back pressure?

No, it was quite easy to operate. But, back pressure really isn't an issue in most calls, unless you're trying to run it with one hand .... perhaps while you use the other to work a flag. The issue normally is how much air pressure and how much air volume do you need to run the call. If the Meat Grinder is properly tuned, it's an easy call to run. But, if it's not tuned properly, like any other short reed, it will be more difficult than necessary. If I were interested in getting one, I'd probably get it straight from the shop rather than from a mail order or other retailer, unless you have a chance to get it in hand and run it yourself. If you contact the shop, you can tell them exactly what you need it to do and they can check it before sending it out if you request them to do so.
tripleb
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:29 pm

Meatgrinder is a great entry level call. very easy to run, very similar to the smh. These calls are back pressure machines. When people talk to me about wanting to get started with goose calling this is always one of the calls I suggest. You wont go wrong with learning on that call. I know Cabela's also offers this call with an instructional dvd. I killed quite a few geese with that call as well :thumbsup: .
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby QuackerWhacker13069 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:16 am

I have a Meatgrinder and have spent many hours of practice with it. I bought it last year and have had great success with it. On a hunt last year during a time I thought was going to be slow I was eating a granola bar and over the horizon come a huge V of geese I promptly picked up my call and started in well granola going through a call does not work to well, in a hurry I took my call apart cleared the granola and tried to put the call back together quick I jammed the two parts together and cracked it!! so much for calling the rest of the day!! a little super glue when I got home and it is as good as new. still in operation today with hours of practice all summer in preperation of early goose season opening Sept. 1st here!! I would buy another without hesitation!!!
QuackerWhacker13069
hunter

Postby Matt Hogan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:30 pm

The Meatgrinder was the first call I started out with. Very good to learn on.
Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.
Matt Hogan
hunter

Postby benellinate » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Our Meat Grinder has the same setup as our Strait Meat Honker just in poly. It requires very little to no backpressure and is a great all around call. Has a nice deep sound compared to the higher pitched Coles Carnage in poly.
Foiles Migrators Inc. Field Staff
benellinate
Newb

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Hey guys, I got the meat grinder in a trade. So it isn't brand new. Anyway I can't figure out how to blow it. No matter how much voice I put into it the call won't get low. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:32 am

How does the call sound? Is it tuned high pitched, medium or low pitched? If it's high pitched, I find it easiest to drop my lower jaw and make a low pitched throaty growl into the call, sort of like the chant "ooooooooommmmmmm", or the way a dog sounds when it makes a low volume growl. That seems to get the reed vibrating at a lower pitch for a moan. If you have problems with your moans sliding into clucks, sometimes opening your hands will reduce the back pressure enough to keep that from happening. As back pressure is reduced, it becomes harder to make a cluck, so that may help you moan. Your moans will be a little higher pitched when you open your hands, but it may make the difference between getting a moan and not.

Then there's the option of retuning the call. If you still have a problem getting a moan, I'd let a more experienced caller try it. If he can get a moan, it may be your technique. But if he can't then the call may need to be retuned. But, recently, I've noticed that newbies who have a little higher pitched voices seem to have more problems getting a moan than I have. That may require some tuning adjustments.
tripleb
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:26 am

Is there a way for me to tune it myself? Make the reed shorter or longer?
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby fsulaxer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:47 pm

The meat grinder is fairly easy to tune just like all the foiles calls, you can wait til the season is over and send it to the shop, or call the shop, 1-866-83-geese find out if there is a staffer near you and try and meet up with them. i know the crew is at a show out west right now so stop by the site, i am east coast so i have no clue where they may be but if ya catch them they will work it out for ya
Adam Sultenfuss
Foiles Migrators
Centreville Md
fsulaxer
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Ya they were at a smotsman show and I wet to it.... But I didn't even think to bring my call!!!! I'm probably just gunna send it I them. Do you know how much it is?
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby fsulaxer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:44 pm

Ya know i am not 100% sure not more than a couple bucks and postage, def give the shop a call 1-866-83-geese and lisa or drew will get ya strait turn around usually a day. I would ask if they know of any staffers close by cause if so it will save you some postage and wait time. if ya got one close just meet up with them they will def help ya out
Adam Sultenfuss
Foiles Migrators
Centreville Md
fsulaxer
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum