When to call, When not to call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

When to call, When not to call

Postby TheBigTim » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:23 pm

When hunting Geese on a small pond should you call when the Geese are comming into the pond or should you not call and see if they come in to your decoys?

When should you call and what call should you make?
2012/2013 Season

Black Ducks 5
Goldeneye 0
Teal 0
Ring Necks 2
Geese 0
Long Tailed Ducks 0
Scoters 0
Ruffed Grouse 0
Spruce Grouse 0
Coyote 0
TheBigTim
hunter

Re: When to call, When not to call

Postby waterfowl1030 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:52 pm

most the time when i call if there coming ill do a couple moans and some soft clucks then pick it up a little when they're turning away
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
waterfowl1030
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:49 am

When to call, when you have their wing tips or tail pointed at you is a common saying...What sounds, clucks, moans, double clucks hiccups are all very common to hear on the water. Because most times(at least around here) water is a place where they congregate and competition for real estate(sand bar real estate) is an ongoing battle. So, IMO, a hiccup sequence is a killer sequence. Just dont get too loud as the sound will really echo on the water if you do. Often times why wood calls are so popular for this type of situation. The wood produces a more mellow sound.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby cattleman10 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:22 pm

In my experience in hunting and watching geese, I have noticed that when there are geese on the water, they are pretty quiet until they are getting ready to leave or another flock approaches. When another flock does approach, at least one goose starts to cluck and gets louder and faster as the geese get closer, then once the other geese touch down, all heck breaks loose for a while until they get their real estate disputes settled. So I would say start calling when the geese are within hearing distance and get quicker and more aggressive as they get closer. Just my opinion, but its worked for me and I've seen and heard live geese do it. :smile:
cattleman10
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:34 pm

Try to just moan, and do a half cluck as i call it; almost break it over for a cluck but stop and go back to the moan. Over water I also direct my calling toward my feet so the sound doesn't echo as bad.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby 1diverdown » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:36 am

if they were in there already I would go with less is more. light clucks and moans unless they lose interest.
''Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.''
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum