Zink COD, NBN, or NOS!?!?!?! QUICK

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Zink COD, NBN, or NOS!?!?!?! QUICK

Postby TCNwaterfowlers » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:01 pm

I am currently thrown on which call i should purchase and need to make a decision quickly. which call would be the best for strictly hunting, the COD (call of death), the NBN (naughty by nature) or the NOS (nightmare on stage)?
TCNwaterfowlers
Newb

Re: Zink COD, NBN, or NOS!?!?!?! QUICK

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:06 pm

I like the COD personally. Not really a fan of the NBN and the NOS handles the same as the Power Clucker to me.
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby TCNwaterfowlers » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:12 pm

have u blown all of these calls? i have not had a chance to blow the COD or the NBN but i guess what i am looking for, is just which of the two calls is the most raspy? i like all zink calls but fear sometimes that they have too high of a pitch for hunting....
TCNwaterfowlers
Newb

Postby tripleb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:26 pm

TCNwaterfowlers wrote:have u blown all of these calls? i have not had a chance to blow the COD or the NBN but i guess what i am looking for, is just which of the two calls is the most raspy? i like all zink calls but fear sometimes that they have too high of a pitch for hunting....

It's funny that you should make such a remark about the pitch being too high for hunting. If you listen to excited geese, those which are about to land, and those which are on the ground, waiting for others to land, what you hear are almost all high pitched. Listen to a few goose hunting videos where you can actually hear the geese without their calling being drowned out by the music. Listen to the geese, rather than just to the callers. Other than moans, the geese usually quite high pitched.

Here's a link to some video's and audio files put up by calling4life. You'll see some for a variety of Zink calls, including one for one of the 3 you asked about. One of his favorite calls, if not THE favorite is the Little Man. If I were inclined to buy a Zink call for goose hunting, it's probably the one I'd choose, as well. If you click on the "more" message, you will get a bit more information on the calls. You can contact him by PM on the Fuge. He's very honest about what he likes about a call and what he does not.

http://www.youtube.com/user/calling4life#p/u
tripleb
hunter

Postby TCNwaterfowlers » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:37 pm

i appreciate the input but what does it say in the description of the little man? "produce the most raspy realistic clucks and barks". i know all about the little man. i know a high pitch can be a good thing, so i guess maybe i should rephrase my question. out of the two calls, the cod or the nbn, which of the calls can get down lower for close encounters?
TCNwaterfowlers
Newb

Postby tripleb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:14 pm

TCNwaterfowlers wrote:i appreciate the input but what does it say in the description of the little man? "produce the most raspy realistic clucks and barks". i know all about the little man. i know a high pitch can be a good thing, so i guess maybe i should rephrase my question. out of the two calls, the cod or the nbn, which of the calls can get down lower for close encounters?

I don't know if he's made an audio or video of the cod, but here's a link to an audio of the nbn, with some lower pitched notes and some comments on the call. If you're a member of the Fuge, I'd suggest you send him a PM. He's usually very helpful. And, he's tested enough different calls that he's a much more reliable source of information for a comparison than a pro staffer or someone who's not tried many different calls.

http://www.youtube.com/user/calling4lif ... gSGyNfM2HI
tripleb
hunter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Yes, I have blown all three. And to me, the COD is the easiest to use. I feel like it takes very little air so you can get kind of soft when they get up close. Its probably going to be my next call.
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby cargodoyle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 pm

The COD will get deeper and you will get a more mellow tone. It is slightly easier to blow than the NBN, and it really sounds amazing. I would try both, but you really can't go wrong with either. I really like how high, sharp, and fast my NBN is, but I just ordered the COD after blowing on them all weekend at a Cabelas Classic. I think it might be my go-to call :thumbsup:
Quartz Mountain DU Co-Chairmen
Eternal Outdoor Films
Zink Calls Z-Unit
“Above all else, cherish that most solemn pride which must be yours to be willing to lay so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.”
– Abraham Lincoln 1863
cargodoyle
hunter

Postby pahunter22 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:12 pm

I like the COD. It would be my choice for hunting because it has a little deeper sound than the other two. I can get good murmurs and moans with mine.
Zink Calls Pro-Staff
pahunter22
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum