Speck call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Speck call

Postby deaddux1312 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:48 pm

What is a good specklebelly call? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks
deaddux1312
hunter

Re: Speck call

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:01 am

As with other types of calls, what's "good" depends a lot on your individual physiology, methodology and tone preference. And, to a degree, what's in your wallet.

Having been a speck and speck call junkie since moving to Southwest Louisiana in '83, I'm certain the list of speck calls I've auditioned is over two dozen long, and I currently hunt with both a small-gutted acrylic RNT and a big-gutted hedge Riceland. But someone just starting out might find it easier to get a handle on speck calling with an inexpensive small-gutted call (takes less wind), and in that category, my picks would be the poly RNT and Haydel's SP-04. Both are about as easy to run as speck calls get, with the functional differences being the RNT's greater potential volume and tonal range vs the Haydel's inherent "scratch". (Some speck voices are clear as a bell, while others have rusty gate scratch that takes more effort to imitate with RNT.)

Or, if you you're anxious to try your hand at running big guts without breaking the bank, Riceland offers a $65 poly.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby anatidaephobic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:49 am

I too will be using an RNT and Riceland combo this fall. The Riceland wil be used for grabbing the attention of birds at a distance, while the RNT with a thin reed will be my go to for ground clucking and close in work.
anatidaephobic
hunter

Postby LAspeckiller » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:27 pm

I will be running a RNT and a Redbone. Must say that the Redbone has an incredible sound and I find it to be easier to run than my RNT, but both are great calls. If your looking for something cheap I would also recommend the Quackhead poly speck.
LAspeckiller
hunter

Postby quackaholic88 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:07 am

Which low cost RNT speck call do you guys like? I know there are a couple different ones on both Macks and Cabelas.
Smok'em if you got'em!!!
quackaholic88
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:55 am

Haven't tried the "Hunter" version, but the cheaper poly was more than good enough to make me sell the two acrylics from other makers that I was using when I got it. Now have a couple acrylic RNTs, but wouldn't be at all afraid to go back to the poly.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum