How do you call?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

How do you call?

Postby FowlMouth19 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:49 pm

This is my first yr blowing a short reed and I'm not used to having so much versatility with a call. Just wondering how u guys call from when you first hear or see a flock right up until u pull the trigger. I can do most basic calls I just don't know when to use them. Right now I've been doing Alot of different pitched clucks to sound like Alot of birds then when they start to circle I drop down into some real soft double clucks and moans. If the flock starts to go away I really hammer on the call and pick up the speed and volume and try and get them to turn. Just wondering if I'm doing it right and also curious as to other guys calling techniques.
FowlMouth19
hunter

Re: How do you call?

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:30 pm

FowlMouth19 wrote:This is my first yr blowing a short reed and I'm not used to having so much versatility with a call. Just wondering how u guys call from when you first hear or see a flock right up until u pull the trigger. I can do most basic calls I just don't know when to use them. Right now I've been doing Alot of different pitched clucks to sound like Alot of birds then when they start to circle I drop down into some real soft double clucks and moans. If the flock starts to go away I really hammer on the call and pick up the speed and volume and try and get them to turn. Just wondering if I'm doing it right and also curious as to other guys calling techniques.

At a long distance I will start by just making a couple loud screeches and drawn out honks, when they turn and start coming my way I go to straight honks with clucks and double clucks mixed in. Once they start circling I do clucks, grunts, moans, and the second they turn away I do a real quick fast 5-6 clucks. Usually they turn and start coming back, then I go right back to the moans, clucks, and grunts... then finish them with grunts.

Any time the bird(s) is within 70 yards I do just moans and grunts.

I never stop calling, I'm the last one to pop up because I'm still calling when the first guy pulls the trigger.. this usually avoids flair ups and 40-50 yard shots by the time everyone is up. I've even had times where the first shots go off and the birds are still coming in, when you stop calling it alerts them that something isnt right.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:29 am

One of the best ways to explain it is BAD GRAMMAR!!! Spend the $20 bucks on the DVD. It will help show you when and what calls to make, plus tells you how to make the diferent sounds.
Every situation is different. I try to talk to the geese as little as possible. Think of it like this. Competition calling is for humans. Hunting is for geese. Geese don't tend to talk as much as humans want to call. I prefer to flag at distant birds. Once they are coming in, listen to what the birds are saying and follow their rythm. They will tell you what they want to hear and how much of it. Don't blow them away like you are on stage.
Think of it like you are duck hunting. How many times have you slipped out the back of a blind to take a leak and as you are walking back to the blind, you watch ducks pile in. Now think of how many times they have flared or simply not comitted when you are calling. Geese are no different. I remember one time hunting, several years ago, I fell asleep after staying out to late. The sun made my blind warm as toast. I woke up to about 80 geese walking around my spread and blind. I just watched them for at least 20 minutes before I doubled up the two slowest birds to fly off when I sprang out of my blind...
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:38 am

I suggest practicing double clucks ( high to low and low to high). I also think that the cluck moan sequence is Money!! You can get more intense cadences as your skill level grows. Moans and murmurs are nice to mix in once the birds get closer go slow and don't rush it. Bad grammer is a good choice like mentioned above. Good luck !
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:49 am

i use my cell phone to call

:hammer: :fingerhead:
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby FowlMouth19 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks guys. I'll definitely take a look at that bad grammar DVD I hear alot of good things about it
FowlMouth19
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:42 pm

I sound like geese on the ground. Just a bunch of geese bouncing around. Sometimes no sound at all, other times excited 5-6 geese stepping on top of each other
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby R. Toker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:13 pm

As stated above, I've found the best sequence to start with some greeting honks and clucks. Once the geese turn and start to come toward us it seems some real low growls, like rrrrp, rrrp, rrrp, rrrp, mixed with some clucks works best. When they are turning away or on the edges we let them have it with some fast double clucks and moans. Once they circle back around facing back toward us we switch back to the low finishing calls. That low growl seems to calm them down or makes them feel at ease, at least in my experience.
Lynch Mob Calls
Gander Valley Custom Calls
Beretta AL 391 Urika2 28"
Carlson's LM Choke
Kent Fasteel
Beretta SV10 Prevail III 32"
WATERFOWL AND SPORTING CLAYS!!!
R. Toker
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Here is an example of how I work birds from a distance, lose them, get them back, and finish them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d42ECkT6VKk

You can see in the video some louder calling, but still staying in goose rhythm for getting their attention. These birds were a mile high, most of my birds aren't, but that's what makes this video a great example because it gives an example of everything. Also, a flag gets attention much better than a call 99% of the time. That is why I always have one.

After they turn I keep on them but slower. When they get closer I lay off, actually too much because I lose them. I hit them with some faster stuff and they turn back. This time I stay on them, but quieter and finish them to the decoys. 2 shots later I have my 2 bird limit. My buddy on my right.... Well let's just say his shooting extends some hunts sometimes :yes:

As you can see there is really no competition hails or comebacks needed, just sounding like real geese feeding.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Rajah » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:Here is an example of how I work birds from a distance, lose them, get them back, and finish them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d42ECkT6VKk

So at 3:08, did you have to clean up after yourself? :wink: :biggrin:
Bazinga!!
Rajah
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:27 pm

Another great video that is just a little older is Honker Talk from Shawn Stahl. He shows some birds reacting in different hunting situations and how they respond to calling. It may be an oldr video, but it is a damned good video, too.
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum