Tim Grounds Calls

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Tim Grounds Calls

Postby love2eatducks » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:50 am

I'm going to transition from a flute to a short reed and I want a Tim Grounds Call; what call would you guys suggest. I'd like to hear opinions; thanks in advance!
love2eatducks
hunter

Re: Tim Grounds Calls

Postby Bull Can » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:38 pm

A poly superman would be a great call to start on. The superman is a fantastic call that is used by many, could be one of the more popular calls. Great tones and extremely versatile. Also, the poly version won't break your bank.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:17 am

Bull Can wrote:A poly superman would be a great call to start on. The superman is a fantastic call that is used by many, could be one of the more popular calls. Great tones and extremely versatile. Also, the poly version won't break your bank.

I'm pretty sure you mean the poly carbonate "Super Mag". I've seen them as low as about $30 in orange plastic. Might want to paint that one before hunting with it, though.
tripleb
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:16 am

Got with a Super Mag...whether it be wood, acrylic or poly carbonate. Very good beginner call. Once you get going get a Triple Thang outstanding! :thumbsup:
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:22 pm

tripleb wrote:
Bull Can wrote:A poly superman would be a great call to start on. The superman is a fantastic call that is used by many, could be one of the more popular calls. Great tones and extremely versatile. Also, the poly version won't break your bank.

I'm pretty sure you mean the poly carbonate "Super Mag". I've seen them as low as about $30 in orange plastic. Might want to paint that one before hunting with it, though.

yes i mean the supermag, my damn laptop has auto correct.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Tim Grounds Calls

Postby gooseman07 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:33 pm

The super mag is a great call to start with but I've found that the real thang and super thang are way more versatile than the triple thang. I personally have two real thang's, one of which I'm trying to sell and have basically had them since I transitioned to acrylic calls. if you want to just hunt, I would recommend a hedge/wooden call of his. I cannot get my acrylic ones quiet enough when the geese have almost landed.
gooseman07
hunter

Postby jwoodcock » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:00 am

triple crown. It is worth the money. Get bad grammer to go with it.
People from the hunting industry let you down. I have no idols in this sport.
jwoodcock
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:56 am

Bull Can wrote:yes i mean the supermag, my damn laptop has auto correct.

:lol: Wait till you use an automobile GPS and have a woman's voice try to get you back on the computer calculated course every block or two on a deviation you chose to make.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:31 pm

tripleb wrote:
Bull Can wrote:yes i mean the supermag, my damn laptop has auto correct.

:lol: Wait till you use an automobile GPS and have a woman's voice try to get you back on the computer calculated course every block or two on a deviation you chose to make.

classic!
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:32 am

since it sounds like this will be your first short reed, I would say start with a cocobolo or hedge super mag. Nice wooden calls that wont cost you an arm and a leg, and easy to learn on that have good sound and range. After you become proficient..??..you can swap out the guts, and put a set of tripple crown guts in there. Tripple crown guts are the Grounds company's top of the line guts that have won lottsa contests and money.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby ashtoncvsg » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:25 am

My first goose call was a triple crown and haven't looked back since. Prob a little harder to run than some of the others, but once you learn it it's amazing. Def suggest bad grammer as well!
Calls (All Duck are RNT):
MVP Bourbon/Carmel Acrylic
Original Carmel Acrylic
Short Barrel Bois d'arc
Timbre Cocobolo
Microhen Bourbon Acrylic
Born On Blue Acrylic

TG TC Pearl/Black Acrylic
ashtoncvsg
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:14 am

I am a huge grounds fan, amazing customer service from those guys, and one helluva product...championships dont lie. But if you are switching from a flute might want to check out the Field Proven Aftershock, made exactly for guys switching from a flute. I personally run a super thang, Had a TC but just wasnt using it enough, great call however. Probably wouldnt suggest a super thang or real thang right out of the gate, Pro Super mag would probably be more your speed, if you are wanting to spend some money get some triple crown guts thrown in there. Might actually be switch to a Matrix in the near future however.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby BigAL64 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:25 pm

I have a super mag poly. A guy set it up and gave it to me. It has a sharp crack the way he tuned it and I really like it allot!!
BigAL64
hunter

Postby the cashman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:18 am

Polycarb SuperMag with TC guts is a seriously under-rated call. You can do anything you'll ever need to kill geese on that horn (course that could be said about just about any call!) and still have room to grow. Wish mine hadn't frozen and cracked earlier this year, but I will be replacing it during the off season! Great call.
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum