GK or Grounds for a Short Reed Newbie

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

GK or Grounds for a Short Reed Newbie

Postby love2eatducks » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:33 pm

I am bound and determined to learn to call on a short reed. I have the Bad Grammar dvd to teach me, but now I need a short reed call. The two companies I have picked to purchase from are Tim Grounds or GK. I've read a lot of good things about both companies, but I want to know which models would be the best for a short reed virgin. I would also like to know if I should get an acrylic (I'm leaning on this one) or a wood call. Thanks in advance!
love2eatducks
hunter

Re: GK or Grounds for a Short Reed Newbie

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Both great call companies without a doubt. I just got a GK this year and it has become my favorite call. Absolutely love the Canuck, and the folks from GK. Theyre first class. Canuck is a shorter short reed call and requires more hands, but if your a commited caller and you sound like you are, youll get it down with practice. I would highly recommend this call. Amazing versatility.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:28 am

i own 2 grounds real thangs..the shortest call he makes. good hands are a must with these calls. They have great speed and response. I will say, it is my opinion that the calls with the tripple crown guts take a little more air to run correctly compared to some other call makers. BUT..if you can learn to run those calls, then you wont have any problems picking up any other call and getting it to sing. I had a GK comp slayer and didnt think it was a bad call at all. alotta people speek good about gk calls and coustomer service. It seams that it takes a certain kinda caller to run grounds calls. kinda like aquiring a certain knack for his brand.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:36 am

Huntfish12 wrote:i own 2 grounds real thangs..the shortest call he makes. good hands are a must with these calls. They have great speed and response. I will say, it is my opinion that the calls with the tripple crown guts take a little more air to run correctly compared to some other call makers. BUT..if you can learn to run those calls, then you wont have any problems picking up any other call and getting it to sing. I had a GK comp slayer and didnt think it was a bad call at all. alotta people speek good about gk calls and coustomer service. It seams that it takes a certain kinda caller to run grounds calls. kinda like aquiring a certain knack for his brand.

I have a grounds call also and i would completely agree with your assessment. Great post guy.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Ahh, Thank you, Thank you very much! :thumbsup:
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:25 pm

love2eatducks.......since you consider yourself a "short reed virgin" I can recommend the delrin Slayer from GK. for the low cost of $69, hard to beat. and mine came sooo easy to run......used it this morning an "Slayed" a few.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:12 pm

Don't sell yourself on a brand before you try them all. They are both great companies have earned their respect! I suggest you go to a store that lets you try them all out. What one guy may say is his go to call may not work well for another guy. Try as many calls as you can and go from there. Some calls are easier to blow, some sound deeper, sound sound higher, some look nicer, ... Whatever the reason you pick it for should be how it sounds to you when you blow it and how good it feels. All they big named calls work, but they are all designed to the specs of their competion callers. Plus they also blow a little differently after you tune them to you... Most calls are preset to a middle ground for most callers. I prefer slightly higher pitched calls because I hunt a lot of lessers in the earlier part of the season. Later on, we start getting some greaters come in and I switch calls to a deeper tone. I prefer the mellow tone of wood for greaters, but that time of the year is harder on wood calls because of the temperature. Acrylic tend not to swell and shrink as much so the tone stays more even.
Try them all, find one you like, and blow the hell out of it!!! Good luck...
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:10 pm

i have only blown the tim grounds poly super mag but i own a set of the standard edge guts by GK and i put them in my punisher, i love my super mag it was a great low end call and have a very deep tone, but with the combo i set up with the punisher and GK guts i think i have my go to call. Like said before both are great call companies but you need to blow all of the calls to see which one really fits your needs and which feels best to you. If i was to choose a new call to get it would be the Giant Slayer in Delrin just because of the price i will find one and try it out to see if i am going to get it. Listen to the guys on here they are full of advice and will help with anything you need. Be safe and welcome to the short reed world.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby klist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Im a grounds guy myself....

the pro mag is a great deal for an acrylic call. it takes air to blow it, but it also is fairly forgiving. its a call that you can start with and end with. pure goose, nice and tight low end with a good crack.

just my opinion but it kills geese for me
klist
hunter

Postby R. Toker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:08 pm

I have a brand new GK Giant Slayer in black delrin for sale in the classified section. Brand new in box shipped for $60.00 FYI
Lynch Mob Calls
Gander Valley Custom Calls
Beretta AL 391 Urika2 28"
Carlson's LM Choke
Kent Fasteel
Beretta SV10 Prevail III 32"
WATERFOWL AND SPORTING CLAYS!!!
R. Toker
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum