zink's call guts

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

zink's call guts

Postby vt duck » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:36 pm

I bought a zink's custom hunter pc-1 from ebay for $45 old syle I think and I would like to get new guts for it . but i'm not sure if I can enter change other types of zink guts in the call or do I need to get the pc-1 guts in it? I have never used a goose call before and i'm just starting to goose hunt.
vt duck
hunter

Re: zink's call guts

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:57 pm

Any of the Zink guts will fit your PC-1 Custom Hunter.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby vt duck » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:49 pm

is the pc-1 a good set of guts to put back in or is there a better set ? i'll be hunting canadaian geese
vt duck
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:30 pm

vt duck wrote:is the pc-1 a good set of guts to put back in or is there a better set ? i'll be hunting canadaian geese

PC-1 gut would work well. :thumbsup:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:56 am

Be aware that Zink has two basic sets of guts. They indicate on their website that their "custom" set will not work in poly carbonate calls. So, order the set for the poly calls for your call.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:18 am

I have switched out all kinds of call guts. Before you switch them out, try tuning it or sending it in to get tuned. After a call has been blown for 300-500 hours, grooves start to develope on the tone board. That allows the call to sound better because the tip of the reed breaks better into the tone channel. If you swap guts, move the whole set to another call. With short reed guts, new is not better! If there is a broken component, that is a different story....
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:14 am

Zink has the BIG guts and the Easy Blow guts. The BIG guts are what they put in their high end acrylic calls. The PC-1 has the Easy Blow guts in it. My favorite set(s) of guts are: Flyway X and X Factors. The Flyways are a little difficult to run, because you really have to have the right call.
Ben
mayhem96
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:50 pm

Blackfoot down wrote:I have switched out all kinds of call guts. Before you switch them out, try tuning it or sending it in to get tuned. After a call has been blown for 300-500 hours, grooves start to develope on the tone board. That allows the call to sound better because the tip of the reed breaks better into the tone channel. If you swap guts, move the whole set to another call. With short reed guts, new is not better! If there is a broken component, that is a different story....

Not to disagree, because "broken in" is often a matter of "degree" rather than a clearly defined point. I find in my short calls (4", or so), it takes about 1 hour of running the call hard to limber up the reed and get the first bit of deformation of the tone board which makes the call easier to run ... to get low notes and faster note changes on pressure notes without the reed sticking. In some calls, my GVCC Triple X with the KOD toneboard and wedge, but the wide end of an E4 reed, it takes very little time to "start" the break in process to feel and hear the benefit. In my longer calls, it may take about 4 hours of running the call hard to achieve a similar effect as I see in 1 hour on my short calls.

But, when we're talking about "broken in" guts which are broken in to the extent that contest callers consider them to be broken in .... that does take hundreds of hours of running a call to accomplish. If you have ever seen the advertisement in Cabelas catalog for Field Proven Calls, they show a pic. of a set of broken in guts they use in at least one of their calls which has been run just under 200 hours, if I recall correctly. That's the sort of "broken in", and more, that I think Blackfoot down was describing in his post.
tripleb
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:37 pm

What kind of guts does the money maker come with?
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:27 am

shootable Goose wrote:What kind of guts does the money maker come with?

http://www.zinkcalls.com/products/AC_ZCGGA
The Custom Call guts

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:31 pm

vt duck wrote:I bought a zink's custom hunter pc-1 from ebay for $45 old syle I think and I would like to get new guts for it . but i'm not sure if I can enter change other types of zink guts in the call or do I need to get the pc-1 guts in it? I have never used a goose call before and i'm just starting to goose hunt.

If you've never used a goose call before, you'd be much better off investing in some how-to dvd's before you invest in different guts. Become a better archer, and the arrow isn't as important.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:08 pm

tripleb,
Thanks for pointing out that I was referring to competion worn guts! I guess I did not mention that in the response. Hunting guts can be "broken in" a a few hours. The main point is that since he was wanting to switch guts, he should move the whole guts, not just a tone board, wedge, or reed by itself. It can be done, but that can get really tricky for a guy just learning about how the actual air moves through a call to produce sound and prevent sticking or making New Year's horn sounds!!!!!!!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:21 am

Blackfoot down wrote:tripleb,
Thanks for pointing out that I was referring to competion worn guts! I guess I did not mention that in the response. Hunting guts can be "broken in" a a few hours. The main point is that since he was wanting to switch guts, he should move the whole guts, not just a tone board, wedge, or reed by itself. It can be done, but that can get really tricky for a guy just learning about how the actual air moves through a call to produce sound and prevent sticking or making New Year's horn sounds!!!!!!!!!

I agree.

I've found it easier for me to simply do my own break in .... though it is time consuming. While I've not tried a lot of different broken in guts, those that I have tried seemed tougher to get "just right" for the way I like to set up a call .... which is one which uses relatively little air.
tripleb
hunter

Postby jhow1990 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:11 pm

for my money maker goose call i know to get custom guts for it, but there is so many options for guts in the custom guts section, any help?
jhow1990
Newb

Postby tripleb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:40 pm

jhow1990 wrote:for my money maker goose call i know to get custom guts for it, but there is so many options for guts in the custom guts section, any help?

There are so many variables that the best you can do is buy some at a show, where you don't have to pay shipping. Guts, except for broken in guts, are usually quite inexpensive. The shipping is often 1/2 the cost of the guts.

Some guts might fit you or work in the call and another might not. It's going to be different for every person. At least that's what I've found in the calls and guts I've tried. KOD's worked well in a call which was longer ... and in the Triple X, which is a shorter (4.4") call. Saunders worked in most of my calls, though I modified them to drop the angle of the reed closer to the tone board. Edge worked in most calls ..... using the wide end of the E4 with some and the narrow end with others. And, they worked with the E3 reed too, again, some better or worse than others. I've not tried any of the newer Zink calls so I can't say how the Zink guts compare.
tripleb
hunter

Postby jhow1990 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:50 pm

i was just going to buy some off the zink web site, but when i go to custom guts there is alot of options and i dont know which one i need for my money maker, i tried calling but no answer, and emailed them
jhow1990
Newb

Postby tripleb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:21 pm

jhow1990 wrote:i was just going to buy some off the zink web site, but when i go to custom guts there is alot of options and i dont know which one i need for my money maker, i tried calling but no answer, and emailed them

It looked to me that you only have two options if your call is not a polycarb call .... which a Money Maker is not. You can either get the custom guts for $5 or the broken in guts for $20. Personally, I've had better luck with guts I break in myself, but you're experience might be different. Broken in guts are a little trickier to fit since not only do you have to contend with getting a close fit at the reed tip, but you also have to get it to fit properly in the grooves in the side of the tone board. If "file and fit", is hard for you because you don't have patience, then the regular guts may be a better choice. At least if you screw them up, you're not out much money. Get a spare reed or two for either gut you choose.
tripleb
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum