Cackler calls

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Cackler calls

Postby wjarrell » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:49 pm

I'm toying around with the idea of getting a cackler call. I have a zink money maker and love it but I want something that sounds like a smaller younger bird, or sub species, rather than a giant mature honker. I don't mind spending a little money as long as it's a good sounding, quality made call. Any suggestions?
wjarrell
hunter

Re: Cackler calls

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Saunders I5
GK Calls Canuck tuned high
Field Proven Matrix tuned high
Any of these calls will do the job,the Saunders and GK have worked great for me in the past on our chickens,or all sub species around here very well,going to try the Matrix as soon as they start pushing through here.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby garret schukis » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:18 pm

i live in oregon and the cacklers we have here are like the snow geese in the east and south it is all you can do to keep them out of decoys you dont even need a call
2011-2012
114 ducks
68 geese
3 bands
1 collar
garret schukis
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:12 am

garret schukis wrote:i live in oregon and the cacklers we have here are like the snow geese in the east and south it is all you can do to keep them out of decoys you dont even need a call

If they're like snows in the South, a call is helpful, but what you really need is a thousand or so decoys in a place they've been using for several days prior. Folks may bad mouth 'em, but that's largely 'cause they can't work 'em.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Had quite a few cacklers respond very well to the Zink Little Man last weekend. Also, check out Basin Calls, Dave has a great little cackler call that is very easy to run and sounds great.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby garret schukis » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:54 pm

i have never had to use a call we are allowed 4 geese and within that limt 3 can be cakclers so you shot three out of a flock of 1000 and those sit in on there own if you have a big spread
2011-2012
114 ducks
68 geese
3 bands
1 collar
garret schukis
hunter

Postby Cobb2014 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:08 pm

wjarrell, have you ever heard of Toxic Calls? I prostaff for them, and they have a cackler call called the LYC. Not just telling you this to promote the calls but honestly because I have one and I love it. If you tune it just right it sounds fantastic, and it's not very hard to tune. It has a great high pitch and will spit out clucks and moans as fast as you can blow into it.
Cobb2014
Newb

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:03 pm

There's a difference in a real cackler and a call that just sounds like a lesser or immature bird, for that the zink little man is a great call, any grounds call tuned a tad high Is good to. If your lookin for a real west coast cackler I know of two great ones in the Aleutian call that basin calls has and the minima by Saunders. Have both love both. If I had to choose one I'd go with the basin. Little easier to run for me. Also if you go with the Saunders get it straight from bill, call him and tell him you want it to be a true cackler not a lesser call and he will tune it that way for ya.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Death Row Calls Delrin Short Drop!! PERIOD!!! You will have them sittin' on your lap...literally!!!
Ben
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:00 pm

I tuned my XXX up a little stiffer than the way it was sent out. I use it for western cacklers and have had great success with it. We get all varieties of geese where I hunt/guide and the tiny geese sure eat up the fast sharp clucks. nice thing is the call still has the smooth natural goose on the bottom even after i tuned it higher. Love this little call!! Gander Valley hit this one out of the park!
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby ahicksrn » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:50 pm

mayhem96 wrote:Death Row Calls Delrin Short Drop!! PERIOD!!! You will have them sittin' on your lap...literally!!!
Ben

x2
ahicksrn
hunter

Postby Buffalard Whacker » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:29 am

Cacklers have no value. Shoot specks.
Buffalard Whacker
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby halfscoop » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:13 am

Basin's Aleutian/Cackler call comes with a short CD that is great. The pitch/tone(whatever we call it) is high just like the aleutians here in Ca. Check it out since he lives in Oregon Klamath Valley, I believe. He is at most shows here in Ca and you just might find him and his calls. Check out his other CDs as well. Local boy who knows and hunts the birds. Use to repair Maytag washing machines but business was slow so he started carving goose calls.
halfscoop
hunter

Postby greyson1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:08 am

Haven't tried the Basin yet but this is about the best sounding Cackler http://www.billsaunderscalls.com/soundf ... nima_1.mp3 call I've used so far . As for the lesser call i like my Saunders 15-klr :beer:
"Can't never did anything! So don't listen to them... They wouldn't know good owl manure if they were standing in it!"
Arthur J. VerStraete (1920-2009)
greyson1
hunter

Postby Meatss » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:35 am

mayhem96 wrote:Death Row Calls Delrin Short Drop!! PERIOD!!! You will have them sittin' on your lap...literally!!!
Ben

You have a lot of experiance with cacklers there in NC :huh:
Lord forgive me for I shoot hens.
Meatss
hunter

Postby duaney2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:44 am

Buffalard Whacker wrote:Cacklers have no value. Shoot specks.

:huh: if we followed your logic here in Oregon there wouldn't be a reason to leave the house.
duaney2
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum