wet behind the ears

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

wet behind the ears

Postby side-slippin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:41 am

i am a fairly experienced duck hunter, but this year i would like to get into goose hunting. but i know absoluting nothing about it. i have read a couple of books, and looked online, but still have some questions.

1. what is the difference in a flute and a short reed call?

2. what is a good call(s) i should get to get started?

i have permission to hunt some good fields and they are always there season after season, and that is what got me interested in "broadining my hunting horizons". thanx in advance for any advise
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:01 am

the difference between a short reed and a flute is endless first off the flute is a longer call like 10" long and has a longer reed. some flutes have reed and guts just like a short reed does but it has the the long barrel to help the caller out with back pressure. the flute is a call that the majority of people learn on and thats what i learned with my first year and the end of my first year i got a short reed. The short reed has a very large range of sounds you can get very loud on most acrylic calls and also very soft giving you a better range compared to a flute. Also with the short reed it takes a little more but to me since i learned basicly to call with one i think that the short reeds are easier to blow. When learning the short reed may be something that might take a bit longer to learn but IMO i think you will kill more geese if you master a short reed. The speed, volume and range of a short reed is unmatched by a flute. great starter call would be a foiles str8t meat honker, Lynch mob Goose Noose or a zink sr-1 or if you want a cheaper call i would say that i have heard alot of good things about the goozila by rnt and the Buck gardner canadian hammerII. If you really want to keep calling and want a call to start i think that the higher price calls are alot better made and take little back pressure but you will spend 140 to 150. Also to learn i would say get Honker talk by Shawn stahl great video and will teach you every thing you need to know
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Oregon Honker » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:22 pm

Well lets see a short reed is the way to go but i will help you out abit. first thing you need to get is the video honker talk this video helps you A to Z!
it will tell you how to choose your first call and explane the diffrernces in the calls. Somthing to keep in mind is boar size of the call the larger the diamater the more air you have to push through the call obviously harder to blow!!! the main thing when blowing a goose call is back pressure!!!
as for what calls to buy I cant tell you what to buy but the Zink sr 1 is a good choice but way to spendy for a beginier so it's your choice

I PM'ed you :thumbsup:
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NickCies80 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:40 pm

When I started out I got a cheap short reed. It was a Primos I think. But that is besides the point. I would start with a short reed just for the fact that it has better range. It is also easy to get decent with some practice. If you do start with a flute you will eventually try a short reed and will want to change due to the reasons in the above posts.
NickCies80
State Moderator

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum