A good short reed goose call!

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

A good short reed goose call!

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 pm

I own a flute now but I want a short reed call for this season coming. I just wanted some input of what you guys think would be a good goose call. I mostly hunt over water not many fields around that geese are in that don't have houses 50 feet away. I am willing to spend up to $125 I like having good gear!!
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:00 pm

My favorite call is the GK Giant Killer. They have a website and a few different calls. These are some great goose calls and it is what I will use 99% of the time. I highly recommend trying one out if you can.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:58 pm

Zink hand down. The SR-1 is one of the best calls out there and if you are new to a short reed they give you a video that will help you learn to use the call.
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:39 pm

You can pay 100+ dollars if you want but the Canada Hammer II is the best short reed goose call i have ever blown. Go try one out youll probably like it.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby NickCies80 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:52 am

The Canda Hammer is an ok call. It would be OK for your first short reed but it does not sound that great. It sounds good for a cheap call. I might try it out to start but once you get better and use some higher quality calls you will understand why most people get something better once they improve.
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby thaner » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:07 pm

I am still in the transition to the short reed and have tried a couple of the low dollar ones. I really like the Quackzilla. It's the best sounding of the budget calls I have tried. As soon as I save up a little I plan to get the Foiles straight meat honker. I have tried a couple and that is the sweetest call I have ever blown. It is very easy to use. I also like the Zink but the SMH suits me just a little better. I had a Canadian Hammer but didn't like it. I love Buck's single reed duck calls but the Hammer just didn't blow very good or sound right for me.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:53 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I'm not new to the short reed i've blown one the passed 2 seasons b/c my buddy owns on and he can't use it at all so it was up to me to try and learn how to use it and I'm doing pretty good. I just want a real good call for myself.
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby nvgoosehntr » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:32 pm

My first high end call was a Zink SR-1, and it sounds great. My current go to call is a Zink LM-1, and I cant say enough about it. Fred Zinks video was a big help, but I learned quicker from Shawn Stahls "Honker Talk". If I added up all the money spent on cheap calls that are just laying around unused I could get a couple good acrylics. I like to go to Sportsmans and blow a new call if Im looking at one. Good Luck

:salude:
Kevin
nvgoosehntr
hunter

Postby weedsnager » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:00 am

winglock.
weedsnager
hunter

Postby plainsman » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:46 pm

Winglock, GK and Grounds are all very good calls. For calling over water, I use a GK Slayer tuned light and a Winglock delrin longneck.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby kms399 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:04 pm

i use a canada hammer 2 and a zinc sr-1 cocobola. and i must say it was alot easier to learn on the canada hammer than the sr-1. and the funny thing is i switched the guts on the two calls and they both sound better than when originally set. :eek:
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby cinrds » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:51 am

Have you look at RNT goose calls they have three different short reeds. I really like the sound they have and when I up grade my call I will be getting one of them.
Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst. John 6:35
cinrds
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:15 am

now is there really that much difference in sound from the poly to the acrylic? there is diference in sound from call to call, so whats the difference?
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:58 am

There is a difference in sound between the different materials. I have the same exact call in poly, cocabola, and acyrilic. They are tuned differently but there is a difference in sound. Is it really neccesary to pay the extra money for acyrilic? probably not, but I got them for real cheap so it doesnt matter.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:05 pm

of those 3, which one sounds the goosiest? like a real goose. i really like wood calls, but with goose calls, im a beginner.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby plainsman » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:20 pm

Wood calls sound the most mellow, with delrin coming close behind and acrylic having a "cleaner", sharper sound.If you do most of your hunting over water,I suggest delrin.....great tone and very durable.Wood can change tone due to moisture.I only use wood and acrylic calls for field hunting.Sound carries very far over water, so a real loud call isn't needed and might blow them away.Since your a beginner with SR's, it might be difficult for you to really quiet down until you've had alot more practice. As I stated above, I use the Winglock longneck and a GK Slayer for water hunting and both are made of delrin.....both have ended many migration flight plans :yes:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:04 pm

get a basin abomination iceman. best call ive blown. sr-1 is also pretty good along witht the SMH. im not a big fan of the kelly powers rnt call because of the mouth peice design but would love to get my hands on one of their new goose calls. the goozilla is an awesome cheap call but overall i would get a BA iceman!
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby Randy Loker » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:53 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that high pitch kills more geese hands down. Having said that, I personally don't like the SR-1. Call me crazy, I just don't like the way it sounds. I do however, like the Littleman but have only tried it out once. A polycarb supermag from Grounds would be a more inexpensive option, and it sounds great. Scott Threinen can attest to that.

My personal choice is the Michigander from Lewis Custom Calls. It is easy to blow and slightly higher pitched. It also has a constricted, straight bore mouth piece which makes the call more responsive in my oppinion. Plus you can get one for $75. :thumbsup:
Pile 'em up

Team Michigander 08-09
Geese:288 Bands:5, 1 collar
Ducks:367 Bands:0
Randy Loker
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum