Good Flute?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Good Flute?

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:40 pm

Hey guys anybody know of a good flute that is easy to make multiple clucks with really fast? Thanks.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:14 pm

Ive blown two different flutes: the big river, its a big river not much more to be said. And I have blown a Guides best by Grounds. I really liked the guides best. At a fund raiser tim tuned it up real nice for me and it blew almost like a short reed Clucks Double clucks you name it, it did it. Those are the only two flutes I have blown.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:45 pm

Thanks. Common guys i know more of you blow flutes, Oh yeah i dont want to spend over a 100 bucks.

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby side-slippin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:43 pm

hey kp...loadn, what did you mean by the big river flutes? just wondering, never used or even heard one, but was thinkin about buying one to test it out, anyone it particualar?
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby kms399 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:35 pm

my first call was a big river flute. i have found i to be a great call. i did eventually go with a short reed because i felt i could do more with it. i never could cluck very fast or very long as it took a bit more air pressure to make it work. But it comes with a tape which is pretty good. so my advice would be if you are a total newbie to goose calling get it, but if you are really serious about calling and want to do everything you see in the videos go with a short reed. but thats just my experience. good luck
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:51 pm

yeah, a big river flute is a big river flute, i think there are different camo patterns. But like was said before, if you wanna make all the sounds go with a short reed.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:19 pm

It bothers me when people say that a flute is below a short reed because i can do more on a flute than most can do on a short reed. and especially when most people are blowing shorts its nice to have a flute in the field also. but if you want a fast easy blowing flute look into and eastern shoreman but if you want a fast flute with alot of crack look into a meatcutter flute. one hting you have to realize is that its more expensive to make a flute than it is to make a short reed so you will have to pay more for a good one. i would look into a guides best or a eastern shoreman express if budget is a problem
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:19 pm

There is no such monster.....LOL.
I think Sean Mann and Big River make a pretty darn good flute. Chris Faulkner also makes a darn good flute as well.
http://www.qualityhunter.com/
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:42 am

stigmatism wrote:It bothers me when people say that a flute is below a short reed because i can do more on a flute than most can do on a short reed. and especially when most people are blowing shorts its nice to have a flute in the field also. but if you want a fast easy blowing flute look into and eastern shoreman but if you want a fast flute with alot of crack look into a meatcutter flute. one hting you have to realize is that its more expensive to make a flute than it is to make a short reed so you will have to pay more for a good one. i would look into a guides best or a eastern shoreman express if budget is a problem

:thumbsup: Good all around flute is the eastern shoreman. I have not decided if I will upgrade from the express to acrylic or diamond wood, if I do someone on here will get a deal. It sounds to goosy to upgrade tho.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby labman45 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Do not waste your time with a flute. Take the time to learn a short reed u will never go back. :thumbsup: :salude:
labman45
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:29 pm

now im a short reed guy and i would like to know why a short reed is God compared to a flute. anyone out there think they can tell me shoot i just think its getting old when people want help with flutes and guys tell them ahh you dont want one anyways.
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby honkershooter » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:59 pm

i have a lohamn flute it can blow real quick clucks and is cheap
honk..honk..honk..get readyget ready...CUT EM!
honkershooter
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:25 pm

K I'm kind of confused. Everyone says don't go with a goose flute, just get a short reed..... Is there such thing as a short reed goose flute? I have like a $20 goose flute my sister got me for a gift, it's a Buck Gardner, and I'm pretty sure it's short reed.

Say what you will about my cheap crappy call, but I will admit, I'm gettin pretty good with that thing!
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby HonkShooter » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:32 am

RNT flute. Dont' know name or anything of it. Has yellow guts in the one my dad has. Great call. If you find it. Get it. This call almost kept me from learning how to blow a SR cause it's just darn good. My $.02 Joe
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:05 am

HS Bad Medicine, and WingLock LongNeck are the only "Quote on Quote"
Flute/short reeds that I can think of at this time. I'm sure there are a few other manufacturers...can someone else chime in??
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:09 pm

Gooseboy........

Did you buy a flute yet?????
If so what did you buy.

If not and you still want one, I would go with a Grounds Guide's Best.
mccree79
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:10 pm

Nah i havnt bought one yet simply because i dont do much goose hunting other than going duck hunting and shooting a goose if i see it. But i carry my buck gardner canada hammer II on my lanyard.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby mccree79 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:21 pm

Well....your name is Gooseboy. So I would say it is time to learn. I wouldn't buy a flute until you master a short reed. Learning to use a flute and a short reed at the same time could be challenging. I love Goose hunting....bigger spreads(I don't hunt open water for ducks), more calling, the flagging. OH......how fun it is....
mccree79
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum