What call to get

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

What call to get

Postby wingwacker365 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:22 pm

i'm looking at getting a goose call and was wondering what my best option is. Should i get a short reed and what kind?
Last edited by wingwacker365 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wingwacker365
hunter

Re: What call to get

Postby Normmcclean » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:46 pm

if you are just adding a goose call to your arsenal you cant beat a winglock wood calls anything in their line up is a great starting point and with only 1 goose call on the lanyard you need the versatility of wood u can go super soft over water on up to medium volume range for fields. Winglock is step 1 in just about every good goose hunters life.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby njgoosekiller » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Field Proven Matrix or Adrenaline. Two of the best goose calls on the market.
njgoosekiller
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:46 am

I would look at a Ground's Poly Super Mag or a LCC Mayhem. The main thing is try different ones and see which ones you can run. Some real easy blowing guts are Zink's Easy Blow Guts System. Check them out!
Ben
mayhem96
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:47 am

wingwacker365 wrote:i'm looking at getting a goose call and was wondering what my best option is. Should i get a short reed and what kind?

Go to your nearest sporting goods store that carries a good selection of calls and try them all until you find the one that fits you best.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:27 am

ColoradoGooser wrote:
wingwacker365 wrote:i'm looking at getting a goose call and was wondering what my best option is. Should i get a short reed and what kind?

Go to your nearest sporting goods store that carries a good selection of calls and try them all until you find the one that fits you best.

X2 everyone has a personal preference find what call you like and go from there.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby diesel79 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Definitley try a bunch first. I myself really like the GK Canuck. You can find great deals if you check teh classifieds on the forums as well. How much you want to spend?
diesel79
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:44 pm

Sorry guys, but the Foils strait meat honker is one of the easiest call to run there is that has good goose sound. And with all that has gone on with Foils you can find some really good deals on his calls.
BigAL64
hunter

Postby skinfan21 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:05 am

I would go with the zink money maker best call on the market that's the only call I take in the field with me
Born to hunt forced to work
skinfan21
hunter

Postby Rajah » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:20 am

All depends on what you are willing to spend and what you are looking for. If you can try some out, go that route, otherwise, Winglock is good for the price, the GK Giant Slayer in Delrin is a fantastic call (my personal favorite right now), and there are many other more affordable ones.
Bazinga!!
Rajah
hunter

Postby skinfan21 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:47 am

And there is a nice starter call for around 20 bucks its the quack zilla
Born to hunt forced to work
skinfan21
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Lynch mob call slipknot great call easy to work look them up great to work with
mojo coot
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Gander Valley Hybrid or Powerhouse....these are two great calls fro guys that are just getting into goose hunting. Great in hand feel and the insert is very forgiving. Best part is you will grow INTO this not not out of it as you get better. Give Mark a shout and he will hook you up, one of the nicest guys to deal with and the boy can call and he offers free lessons.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:07 am

Id get a GK call. Theyre a great call company located in Ferndale, MI. A Derlin GK Giant Slayer for $70 bucks to start out with and then move up to a GK Canuck when you mastered that. For the beginner a longer call is the way to go as they require less back pressure and are easier to run. Be warned short reed calling takes work, so be prepared for that if thats the route you go. Bad Grammar is a great video to help you with short reeds if your unfamiliar with running them. Good luck with your decision.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:54 pm

I have a GK Canuck and a Hayes bad azz goose cant ask for better calls. Only downside is they do require more back pressure but i feel to get the good goosey sound you almost need more back pressure JMO.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:40 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:I have a GK Canuck and a Hayes bad azz goose cant ask for better calls. Only downside is they do require more back pressure but i feel to get the good goosey sound you almost need more back pressure JMO.

Agreed...The canuck is a short length short reed and requires more advanced hands, but at the same time you get allot of range outta this call because you can manipulate it so much. You can be high pitched and loud or deep and soft, contended or fast and excited. Its a great call. When i was researching GK's line of calls this was a fav amongst hunters. Once i got to know the ins and outs of this call i can see why. Really happy with my purchase.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby OrangeFeet7 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:53 pm

As far as what call to get while hunting specks, i would highly recomend the sean mann acrylic guide series call. the express series sound just as realistic it is just a cheaper call and sticks alot when wet. ive tried various calls from haydel, basin, jj lares,chein calley, zinks power speck and even the infamous redbone speck. the most realistic from my experience is sean mann hands down. but honestly its not all about the call. alot of people say calls are bad but they never give them a chance because they dont mess with the reeds. the only way to tell is by experimenting.
OrangeFeet7
Newb

Postby bluegreenteal » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:23 pm

Tim Grounds Super Mag. Easy call to blow. While you're at it, buy the Bad Grammer DVD.
bluegreenteal
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum