beginner speck calling tip

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

beginner speck calling tip

Postby tako1972 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:50 am

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they say into the call when doing a two note for specks. I am a beginner and cant get the call to break over right. To me the tone I'm getting is off as well. I am using a Haydels SP-04. Any thoughts on this call as well? Thanks in advance fellas.
tako1972
hunter

Re: beginner speck calling tip

Postby LAspeckiller » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Check out this link below of a video by Bill Daniels over at Riceland Calls. He does a pretty good demo on the basics of speck calling. As for the Haydel call that is what I started out on and it is not a bad call for that. When you start to learn how to manipulate the call well, you can upgrade to some higher end calls like Riceland, Redbone, or RNT.

But here is the link and if you have some more questions feel free to pm me. But I am by no means an expert at running a speck call and don't claim to be, but will help anyway I can. Good luck!

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... ccZPynyN-0
"You can get a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butchers word for it?"
LAspeckiller
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:29 am

Hi tako'. Try Just hu-hu in the call with more emphasis on the first hu. When you get the feel for it, you'll learn to modify it more into an almost whistle and smooth it out. Kinda hard to explain. I use both hands for back pressure and really choke it down. Never was coordinated enough to do it with one hand. Also prefer to tune it a tad higher than it comes out o the box.

Used an SP yesterday (the RedBone had a little accident) and had a good time...

Good luck!
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks Fellas! I am beginning to get the sound I relate to the demos on the net. It was hard for me to get the second note to be softer than the first(if that makes any sense) and I can see what you mean about tuning it higher and the almost whistle like sound.Hand position seems to be less forgiving than calling ducks also. I appreciate the help. I am going to hold myself to getting down the two note first so that I have a solid foundation. Good hunting to y'all. And that speck on the right there is a tarbelly for sure! Nice.
tako1972
hunter

Postby Buffalard Whacker » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:39 am

The key to calling specks is dont sound like an idiot, on a more helpful note, dont do that hu hu crap either unless its your first time using the call. You want to break the reed over and let it back slowly by letting of the air and then blow gradually harder break it again to get the whip. The key with speck calling is all air, not hand placement like a honker call. And when in doubt just cluck specks in, yodels if your feeling confident and can keep your 2 notes consistent being a begginner. Cut off the end of the whip and you'll sound like a speck. That california style grunt calling is terrible. Go on youtube and watch lousiana whistling style and sound like an ACTUAL SPECK. Dont break up your "hu hu" notes, try and combine them and cut off air at the end of the second yodel. Hope this helps. Heres a California boy doing it lousiana style, this my friend is how speck calling should be. 27-31 seconds is what you need to try and replicate. He doesnt break up his notes or sequence, combine that ^#$^$%&!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCW3WmTkDRE
Buffalard Whacker
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Klondike » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:23 pm

That is Nathan Wright doing the calling in that little video,unargueably the best speck caller on planet earth.

That is James Rathjen who recorded the video on his phone,California,fall 2007,redbone prototype call used.

I agree with the statement about trying to stay away from,hu-hu,ha-ha,lu-lu, and all the such diaphragmatic burst of air approaches,although can still kill geese.

The air like one would use to blow out a candle,a sustained air stream over time that can be shaped that has no break in the sound. Must be learned very slowly over time,not easy to do,but much more realistic once gotten a hold of. Is it easy,no,there would be speck calling aces all over if that were the case.
Klondike
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:24 pm

Uh, do believe he said he was new and couldn't get it to break over. He's gonna hafta learn to feel the break before he can learn to whistle into it, fellas.

You boys are in for a bit of a surprise if you think blowin' a call like that is some well kept secret any more. Even in my little area, you can walk into the local outdoor store and hear someone runnin' a speck call pretty darn good fairly often. As for cluckin' every bird to the gun, fear everyone must be usin' the same method, because too often here it just won't work. I blow a RedBone when it's not broke as well, but he doesn't hafta have one and be able to blow pretty sequences to kill a bird. Sometimes less is more.

Oh, and hand placement isn't important? Do believe you're the only fella I've ever heard of that could blow one with no hands. If you believe hands aren't important, I'd love to watch yours while you call. Funny stuff right there!
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum