Goose Call Opinions

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Goose Call Opinions

Postby RugerandMe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:30 pm

Hey fellas:

Cabelas has a few really great calls for sale right now and wanted to get opinions on some of them. Looking at the TG Triple Thang, TG Super Mag, Zink NOS, and the Lynch Mob Slipknot and Law Maker. I am looking for one with a little more volumn to complement my GVCC. Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks for the help!
RugerandMe
hunter

Re: Goose Call Opinions

Postby RugerandMe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:32 pm

I would go try them all out and decide but we dont have a store around here that will let you just walk in and start blowing calls.
RugerandMe
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:03 pm

I haven't any of the calls listed, but do have two GVCC Triple X's and three C&S Custom Calls Apostles. I have one Triple X (chartreuse) and one Apostle (blue) on my lanyard. Each does things a little differently. The Triple X uses a bit more air, is a bit more "goosey" and works better at the lower pitched notes. The Apostle is .2" of an inch shorter, has a smaller bore and uses the GK Edge E3 guts, with the narrow end of the reed. It is a "screamer", a very loud call with very little air required to do so. But, it's not a call I would recommend to anyone who pushes a lot of air through a call. You'll lock it up doing so.

You might try, on one of your GVCC calls, using the wide end of the GK Edge E4 reed. It will allow you to push more air through the call and that usually translates into a louder call. You may need some new guts, though. GVCC uses KOD tone board and wedge, with the call maker's special reed, which is a bit narrower than the E4 reed. Another option is that if your GVCC call has a shaved reed, you can get an unshaved reed from the call maker and that usually will allow you to push a bit more air through the call, too.

First and foremost, though, a change in reed or guts is a lot cheaper than buying an entirely new call. I'd call the call maker (GVCC) and ask him what he would suggest doing with the GVCC calls you currently own to make them louder.

Of course, if you simply want to get another call ..... I'd first try one you've tried and liked. And, in default of that opportunity, if you like the GVCC calls, you might get another one, which is set up to be louder.
tripleb
hunter

Postby j. t. thomas » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:33 am

I am not competition caller by any means, but I am a goose hunter. I would highly recommend the Ground's Super Mag. I use a Gander Valley Power House with the Super Mag, and I would not hunt without either one. John

I am not a competition caller, but I love goose hunting. I would, of the calls you mentioned recommend the Grounds Pro Super Mag. It has become my "go to call" complementing my Gander Valley Power House. John
j. t. thomas
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:56 pm

I suggest another Gander Valley set up to be louder.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby apg36820 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 pm

lynchmob slipknot is awesome
apg36820
hunter

Postby erp10 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:35 pm

I just got the NOS about three weeks ago it was on sale at macks for 120 and free shipping. It is very easy to run and can get really load or get low and nasty.
erp10
hunter

Goose Call Opinions

Postby honkeraddic » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:22 pm

I would go with the zink nos! Great sounding call, another call to look into would be the zink cod, I just purchased a cod an it's amazing! Great volume range on both calls
Good luck
honkeraddic
hunter

Postby the cashman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:06 pm

SuperMag. First acrylic call I got and despite many attempts to find a partner to that call, it remains one of my absolute favorite calls. It's not flashy, or super fast, but it's just an all around great call. I've thrown several different sets of guts in it and each gut sounds great in its own way. Fantastic call.
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum