Pitch on a goose call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Pitch on a goose call

Postby Tipsntails7 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:17 pm

I've heard from several people that you want a lower pitch early in the season for locals and early migrates, and then higher in the late season. I've always stayed somewhere in the middle but made sure to have that crack in there to get their attention, what do you guys think
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Re: Pitch on a goose call

Postby tripleb » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:32 am

I've almost always had better luck in attracting geese with high pitched calls than with lower pitched calls. Most calls will allow you to make high pitched notes, but often those which are tuned to favor the lower pitched require a lot of air to make the high pitched notes. So, I carry two calls on the lanyard, one tuned high pitched to make the high pitched notes easy and another tuned to deliver a lower pitch easily.

Generally, I've noticed that if you're trying to simulate calm resting or feeding geese, that's easier with a lower pitched call, while simulating excited geese is easier with a high pitched call. If you have a lot of air, you may be able to make one call work perfectly well from one end of the spectrum to the other. But, if you have an air volume issue, as I do, it's simply easier to carry two calls, tuned differently and give them whatever they seem to prefer.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:23 pm

High works for them all
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:02 pm

High pitched call is what I use most, from august to January.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:56 pm

Yes, a high pitched call is really what attracts the birds. Me and my friend were just talking about this. It is not a "goosey" call, it is a high pitched call, so yes go with the higher pitched!!
Ben
mayhem96
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum