moneymaker

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

moneymaker

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 pm

whats the key to gettin' this thing to sound like a goose instead of a strangled cat??? I'm using very little pressure. short reeds ,should have known better .Think I'll stick to my flute!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Re: moneymaker

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:00 pm

One key is not blowing into it like you do a flute. You push the air from your diaphragm. Pick up a good instructional dvd like Bad Grammar, 100% Goose, Honker Talk, etc. and go from there.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:23 pm

ok thanks the flute is really easy and sounds good especially the low moan ,and clucks. I'll give it another go.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:44 pm

also, there are a lot of instructional video clips on youtube. just type in short reed goose call and see what comes up.

transition from flute to short reed can be hard. I sucked at learning a short reed until I got one on one instruction from a good caller. Some pick it up right away though.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:19 am

Try blowing the short reed like you blow a duck call, from the diaphragm ... and do not puff out your cheeks in the process. Don't try to get fancy on it. Just work on getting that first honk. Then work on repeating the honk. Then work on making a couple honks in succession. Then, start working on making honks of different pitches. You may go for several weeks to get that first honk and being able to repeat it. But, don't give up. This is the perfect time of the year to start your practicing.

if you have any friends or acquaintances in the area who blow short reeds, maybe they can help you make the transition. But, stay with it. For most people, blowing a short reed and blowing a flute are two things sufficiently different that you do better sticking with one or the other. I stuck with the short reed as it's easier for me and more versatile.

Once you get past that first honk, the rest (for goose hunting purposes) is easy if you practice.
tripleb
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:22 pm

One other thing ...... if you picked up the call in used condition, or from a store, it may be out of tune. If you're close to Port Clinton, OH, which is where Zink's business is located, they will help you personally if you go there ..... though I'd call first, of course. A minor retuning might be all that it takes. Also, Zink's pro staffers, at least in this state, will often put on calling demonstrations at various large retail sporting goods outlets. Perhaps there will be one near you, where your call can be checked out. And, finally, you may have a Zink Pro staffer near you who will help you out. You might contact Zink Calls and ask if that's possible.

The Money Maker is not a hard call to run if it's tuned properly, but the larger bell on the insert does make it more difficult to run if you have small hands.
tripleb
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum