Tim Grounds super mag acrylic

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Tim Grounds super mag acrylic

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm new to goose calling (I've been doing it for about 2 weeks now) and made the mistake of buying a 35$ call.. I wound up with the bill saunders refuge series HP and let me tell you... what a piece of crap. It does not matter what you do, this call will not make any noises except extremely loud ones. It does not matter how you push air into it, it will not make a low note. Anyhow, got to surfing around ebay and found a supermag acrylic for a reasonable price and snatched it up (83$). I've got until september to figure out how to call geese and need to start out with the right call. Am I going to be disappointed with it?
I got the bad grammer DVD set and CD set... those are top notch instructionals, so I think I'm on the right track there, just need to figure out the calling thing..
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter

Re: Tim Grounds super mag acrylic

Postby dduckman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:01 pm

tim grounds calls are great, make sure it is not beat to chit.
dduckman
hunter

Postby the cashman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:15 pm

I love my SuperMag. First high dollar call I bought and it's still on the lanyard. Many have come and gone but still the SuperMag remains. Great range, good low-end, loud and soft, all around great call!
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 am

vertical_edge_800 wrote:I'm new to goose calling (I've been doing it for about 2 weeks now) and made the mistake of buying a 35$ call.. I wound up with the bill saunders refuge series HP and let me tell you... what a piece of crap. It does not matter what you do, this call will not make any noises except extremely loud ones. It does not matter how you push air into it, it will not make a low note. Anyhow, got to surfing around ebay and found a supermag acrylic for a reasonable price and snatched it up (83$). I've got until september to figure out how to call geese and need to start out with the right call. Am I going to be disappointed with it?
I got the bad grammer DVD set and CD set... those are top notch instructionals, so I think I'm on the right track there, just need to figure out the calling thing..

Not familiar with that particular call, but with most calls, the more you blow the call to break in the guts, the easier it is to get the low pitched notes out of even a high pitched call. If, instead of the pitch being too high, the problem is that the call is too loud, choking the call down with your hands will reduce the volume. Reducing the volume is a much easier problem to solve for a new caller than reducing the pitch of the call. Reducing the pitch will require spending time breaking it in .... and/or retuning it.
tripleb
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum