Help with Foiles Straight Meat Honker : Spit note.

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Help with Foiles Straight Meat Honker : Spit note.

Postby WingBreaker » Mon May 01, 2006 8:18 pm

Can any kind soul help me out with this problem I'm having?

I just got a Foiles SMH and I cannot for the life of me make this thing "stick".

I can do it with my RNT Hunter.

Is there something different that must be done with this call, or is it not designed for it or what?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA.
WingBreaker
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon May 01, 2006 9:09 pm

:welcome: to DHC. Im sure one of the goose hunters will chime in soon and help you with your question. Hope you get all the info. you are looking for.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby plainsman » Mon May 01, 2006 10:56 pm

Tuning plays a huge role on if you can do the spit-note or not. The call has to be tuned with the ability to do it. Since you can do it on the rnt, I'd say a tune-up might be needed for the SMH.
I, personally don't stick my call when doing it....although it's close. I start with my tongue between my lips....like I'm going to spit a hair off the tip. After the initial burst, I then drop down to the "Awww" part of the note,dropping my jaw as I do.
Check your PM's, I sent you some info on how some of the pro's do it. They can probably explain it better that I can
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Thanks.

Postby WingBreaker » Tue May 02, 2006 8:05 am

Thanks for that information.

The call probably is out of tune.

Does anyone have any info on tuning?
WingBreaker
hunter

Postby quackhunter » Tue May 02, 2006 8:54 am

Tuning a SMH isn't as hard to do as one would think. Most can tune them but only a very few (myself NOT included) can tune them to perfection. Take the insert out of the barrel. Look at the reed assembly. There is the trough under the reed, the reed, and finally the wedge on top. Take a pen and pop the wedge out from the front of the insert. Be careful not to bend or break the reed. Now you have a bunch of stuff in your hands. Be forewarned, tuning is more and art than a science. Factors such as age and condition of reed and trough, wedge positioning and how far the guts are stuffed in the insert will all affect how a call sounds. The reed has two sides to it. A shaved and an unshaved. Shaving makes a call break easier (from low to high notes). It also to an extent gives the call a sharper and cleaner sound. The SMH's have factory shaved reeds. Take the side that is shaved and place it on the trough's closed end. Make sure the shaving is up on the reed or the call will sound bad.Now take the wedge and place it on the reed so that the taper goes into the insert. Place it close to the point on the reed where the taper ends and goes to straight on the side. This is my starting point for tuning. Now take and slide the whole rig into the insert. Do not stuff it in so you cannot adjust. Now look at the tip of the reed where it meets the trough. Ideally you want the tip of the reed to just fit into the depression that makes the trough. If you have to much over the lip, it won't break. If you have it to far away from the edge, it will have no tone and will sound bad. SMH's seem to need just a little space between the trough and the reed to sound right. The second point of adjustment is where the wedge sits ont he reed. This will affect how deep or high the call is. A high pitch call is produced by shortening the amount of visible reed. Making a call deeper results from making the reed longer. The longer the reed the harder it becomes to make it break. Shortening the reed to much will make your canada call into a snow call of sorts. You need to experiment and make it sound good to you. I personally like higher pitched calls so my reed is shorter from edge to wedge. The third area of adjustment on an SMH is how far the guts are stuck in the insert. The farther out they are, the harder the call will be to make pop or break. Personally I stuff the guts in so that the wedge is flush with the insert. My own call responds well to this setup but yours may like a different position. Don't get frusterated with your call. Tuning can take some time to get it right. If all else fails send it back to foiles to have them tune it.
quackhunter
hunter

Postby plainsman » Tue May 02, 2006 9:20 am

Once again, check your mail.
quackhunter, good info :thumbsup:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Thanks again.

Postby WingBreaker » Tue May 02, 2006 11:10 am

Some great info here.

Thanks for the explicit tuning instructions and the link to performance calls' instructions as well.

Looks Like I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks so much.
WingBreaker
hunter

Postby quackhunter » Tue May 02, 2006 9:01 pm

Man, that post came out so well I may have to bookmark it. Hope it helps ya out.
quackhunter
hunter

Postby FoilesProStafferMattOwens » Wed May 03, 2006 11:27 pm

on that spit note your gonna need some back pressure to get the call to pop. try a faster spit note to get your reed to pop alot faster.
FoilesProStafferMattOwens
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum