Best, Cheap Goose call for a beginner??

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Postby htaylor58 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:58 am

Need help in finding a good cheap call that is easy to use for a beginner. Also would like to know of any duck calls that are good. ive seen the Buck Gardner Double Nasty. Any Suggestions would help..
htaylor58
Newb

Re: Best, Cheap Goose call for a beginner??

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:11 am

Double Nasty is a great beginner call. A great goose call in general that is perfect for a beginner is the Buck Gardner "Canada Hammer II". I don't know how they can make such great sounding calls at a cheap price, but they do. Nothing else in their price range comes close IMO. Some may even argue they are comparable to a lot of custom acrylics...... but you won't hear that from me! HAHA
:beer:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby htaylor58 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks!!! Also is the double nasty a call meant for a specific type of duck or will it call in any type of duck?
htaylor58
Newb

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:54 am

htaylor58 wrote:Thanks!!! Also is the double nasty a call meant for a specific type of duck or will it call in any type of duck?

It's a mallard call. You can make some diver calls with it as well. Most puddlers will investigate a mallard call though. :beer:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Goose call= Winglock Whisperer. :thumbsup:
Duck call= pick'em
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:08 pm

The Buck Gardner goose call is easy to learn and sounds great
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:47 pm

I believe that the Big River Long Honker is one of the easiest goose calls to learn to blow. You can be sounding good on a long honker in a matter of minutes instead of days or weeks. If you can get a copy of Mick Lacys cassette tape on how to blow the long honker you will learn in no time at all. I have seen people learn to blow them in 15 minutes. I have an old flute that has been killing geese for 23 years. It has had many 100+ bird seasons with no one else in the group calling and a majority of the birds we kill are under 25 yards.

You can buy a camo long honker at Midway USA on clearance for $15.00 and change plus shipping. There are also a number of duck calls on clearance on the site and a short reed Big River goose call.

In the closeout closet at Wing Supply there is a HS Slammer short reed with an instructional cd for $7.95 plus shipping. Wing also has some HS duck calls for $5.95 and a good sounding whistle/drake call for $2.95. I would recommend one of the double reed duck calls. With the whisle you can do a drake mallard, pintail, and wigeon.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby htaylor58 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:34 am

Also (another rookie question). I will be hunting a heavly wooded swamp/creek. Are decoys needed to hunt ducks and if so how many would you need?
htaylor58
Newb

Postby WI River Widow Maker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:09 am

htaylor58 wrote:Also (another rookie question). I will be hunting a heavly wooded swamp/creek. Are decoys needed to hunt ducks and if so how many would you need?

Decoys are not needed to KILL ducks. Decoys, however, are pretty much a necessity in DUCK HUNTING. Part of duck hunting is the whole experience..... bringing the ducks in close and watch them work and then finish. Two very huge components to this are calling and decoys. If you set up on a roost, or travel route (like deer hunting) you will be able to shoot, but it isn't the full experience.
If you are going to call, then you need decoys. All ducks have great eye sight and if they hear a half decent call they may come in just close enough to investigate, but will stay out of shooting range. to get them in closer, you need to give them what they are looking for.... the ducks that are making that call. That's where you need decoys. How many depends on the area, the type of duck, and the size of the boddy of water. I would go no fewer then 12. I mostly hunt over 100 and sometimes up to 200, but I hunt a bigger river system. In some cases that is overkill and I have to tone it down to 2 dozen. There is a fine line between having the optimal amount of decoys and having too many. Know where that line is by observing the ducks in your area, what the migrating birds do, and how they relate to eachother. That's what you want to duplicate with your decoys, and each situation can change throughout the season.
:beer:
WI River Widow Maker
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:12 pm

When you scout the area are ducks using it? If so, how many birds? Base your decoy spread on whats in the area. When we hunted flooded timber we used 6-12 drake decoys and would stand next to a tree, kick water and call. The calling and ripples were way more important than the decoys. We also liked bright sunny days in that much cover. I still hunt plenty of little potholes, sloughs, and back waters where 3-12 decoys are plenty. Make a jerk rig with a few decoys on it and throw a few other decoys out and hunt. If you cant call, dont. Use the jerk rig.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 pm

htaylor58 wrote:Also (another rookie question). I will be hunting a heavly wooded swamp/creek. Are decoys needed to hunt ducks and if so how many would you need?

buy a box of decoys, they don't have to be too fancy but a dozen will do to start with. for the goose call my first goose call is a buck gardner canada hammer II which i thought was pretty easy to use yet it still makes good notes and can spit em out pretty quick, too. i just started duck hunting this season so i don't know much either but for one thing i know it's really addicting!
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby honkeraddic » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Check out Hayes goose calls, the bad ass goose is an excellent beginner call, an easy on the wallet!
honkeraddic
hunter

Postby sweet talker » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:25 am

in my opinion you should get a call you will be able to advance on. i d go with the grounds poly super mag or any winglock. you can get either of these for about 40 to 50 bucks and they sounds great
sweet talker
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:45 pm

Actually my buddy just got a Honky Tonk from his friend and I tuned it up for him and actually sounds pretty darn good :lol: This was surprising with so many bad reviews on it :huh:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:19 am

mayhem96 wrote:Actually my buddy just got a Honky Tonk from his friend and I tuned it up for him and actually sounds pretty darn good :lol: This was surprising with so many bad reviews on it :huh:

It can be surprising how many goose calls can be "improved" by a good tuning job. Sometimes, a relatively easy and cheap modification .... by using different guts in the call will make a noticeable difference. Some guts are easier to run than others in the same call. I found, in a variety of calls I have had, that the GK Edge E3 guts, using the narrow end of the reed will work in nearly all calls and are easy to run .... though other guts may work better in certain calls and/or for different callers. They're only about $7, plus shipping, for a set. The downside is that you either have to be able to tune a goose call, or have someone close who can do it for you to switch the guts.
tripleb
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:06 am

Tim Grounds Super mag Polycarbonate
Addiction Intervention in Hedge
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:14 pm

tripleb wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:Actually my buddy just got a Honky Tonk from his friend and I tuned it up for him and actually sounds pretty darn good :lol: This was surprising with so many bad reviews on it :huh:

It can be surprising how many goose calls can be "improved" by a good tuning job. Sometimes, a relatively easy and cheap modification .... by using different guts in the call will make a noticeable difference. Some guts are easier to run than others in the same call. I found, in a variety of calls I have had, that the GK Edge E3 guts, using the narrow end of the reed will work in nearly all calls and are easy to run .... though other guts may work better in certain calls and/or for different callers. They're only about $7, plus shipping, for a set. The downside is that you either have to be able to tune a goose call, or have someone close who can do it for you to switch the guts.

The factory guts are "quick-tune", so I cut the tabs off and put a new wedge and reed in there. I usually just cut those tabs off for more range :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby sweet talker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:27 pm

i ve done that to a set of buck gardner guts
sweet talker
hunter

Postby peakegear » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:45 am

I have enjoyed the Zink Call's Poly Carb Calls.

They have a bunch of different options including some that come with a DVD that explains how to use them.

They also have some nice cocabola calls in the same pack
peakegear
hunter

Postby rpsank13 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:09 pm

my top 10 easiest calls would be
1:big river game calls long honker
2:sean mann polycarbonate eastern shoreman
3:tim grounds guides best
4:sean mann express shorty
5:tim grounds clearly the goose talk
6:tim grounds old school goose call
7:tim grounds half breed dhamphir
8:tim grounds variable tone honker
9:foiles strait meat honker
10:tim grounds half breed
rpsank13
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Field proven poly raptor. Like $20 on cabelas on sale. Sounds great takes no time to learn.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby 541-feet-down » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:30 am

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:Field proven poly raptor. Like $20 on cabelas on sale. Sounds great takes no time to learn.

x2 ill second that. can't beat it for the price.
When you come into a morning meeting and forget your lanyard around your neck you may have an addiction.
541-feet-down
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:05 pm

My first goose call was a Foiles straight meat honker. Great easy blowing beginner call I bet you can find an old beat up one in the classified for $60 or less if you really looked which isn't crap considering most acrylics are 100-130.

I
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby crumbe » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:42 am

The buck gardner is a decent inexpensive call....I have called in allot of geese with mine.

But....you should look at one of the C&S goose calls...very nice..and compared to others they are faily inexpensive.
The Die Hard Series start at 65$ and go up to 80$.
crumbe
hunter

Postby TheQuackThatKillz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Zinks pc-1 poly carb for $30
TheQuackThatKillz
hunter

Next

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum