Feedback on compact calls...

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Feedback on compact calls...

Postby garza7585 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:19 am

Hey guys,

So, i've been bit by this waterfowling bug pretty hard and looking to fill up the lanyard with the calls I want. I see myself hunting ducks mostly so my emphasis has been on getting a duck call I want for the way I call and I think I found it in the RNT DC Diablo. So now my search has shifted to find a goosecall.

Since I don't do much goose hunting i'd like to find a good overall well rounded call that is short/compact that won't fill up too much space on my lanyard.

My question is, will I lose anything using a small call? Am I off by I guess limiting myself to smaller calls or do they pack a nice punch?

The calls i'm looking at are the LMC Reaper and the GK Canuck mostly because of how well they're spoken of, but also because they are local. I'm in the metro-Detroit area and both of these companies are a stonesthrow away from where I live.

Let me know what you guys think about these smaller calls.

Jose
garza7585
hunter

Re: Feedback on compact calls...

Postby Jake Steppe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:31 pm

smaller calls are typically associated with being responsive and higher pitched and are focused on smaller geese and migrators. being that they're so much shorter, there is less air to be presented which makes a call respond to different tonal and inflection changes faster than a call with a longer barrel. you are sacrificing an overall deeper sound for the responsiveness and your low end feeding sounds will require much more control of the all itself.

this being said, a just because its a small call, doesnt mean that you cannot get deep sounds or fancy low feeding sounds out it of it. in the right hands they can be made to do it all.
Jake Steppe
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Jake Steppe wrote:smaller calls are typically associated with being responsive and higher pitched and are focused on smaller geese and migrators. being that they're so much shorter, there is less air to be presented which makes a call respond to different tonal and inflection changes faster than a call with a longer barrel. you are sacrificing an overall deeper sound for the responsiveness and your low end feeding sounds will require much more control of the all itself.

this being said, a just because its a small call, doesnt mean that you cannot get deep sounds or fancy low feeding sounds out it of it. in the right hands they can be made to do it all.

What he said :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby garza7585 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Sounds like in the hands of a good caller, a smaller call has some advantages over the larger ones. I'm sure each has their place. I'll get one of the above mentioned calls to hang on the lanyard and practice a bunch before September.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jose
garza7585
hunter

Postby Jake Steppe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:41 pm

its not that small calls are advantageous to larger calls but in a good callers hands a short call can preform the same ways that are typically advantageous of longer calls. for the most part youve got it, the biggest thing you took away is that each call has its own place.

jake
Jake Steppe
hunter

Postby tripleb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:50 am

I like the short calls ..... some of them, anyway. I have 3 C&S Apostles (3.9", 4.1" and 4.2" long) and 2 GVCC Triple X's (4.4" long). We shoot giant Canadas around here and the short calls, when tuned properly, will make all the sounds that real geese make, though they make the moans and mid to high pitched notes the easiest. They require very little air and are extremely fast.

My favorite, the Apostle, only requires me to move a finger 1/8", or so, and increase or decrease air pressure to change note pitches. That makes it very fast, but also a little tricky to run unless you practice with it or have experience with other short calls. It's not a call most people can pick up and run with a few days of practice. I started out just getting my hand positioned to give me a good, basic honk, practicing bringing the call up to my mouth with my hands in exactly the same position each time to make that honk. Then, once I had the basic honk down on the call, I tried different movements of my hands and fingers to see what changes they would make. It's definitely not something that is easy to learn over night. The Triple X is a bit more forgiving, but does require a bit more air to run, so it runs a little slower. It also reaches the lower tones better, but at the price of requiring more air to get the high pitched notes.

This pic shows one Apostle (4.2" long) on the left and the Triple X on the right. I should add that I have Saunder's blue guts in 2 of my Apostles, including this one, and use the wide end of the GK E3 reed in them. For me, using the Saunders guts and E3 reed gives the call a better low end while still being able to get fast, loud and high pitched. It's surprising how loud this little call is.

Last edited by tripleb on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
tripleb
hunter

Postby tripleb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:58 am

garza7585 wrote:Sounds like in the hands of a good caller, a smaller call has some advantages over the larger ones. I'm sure each has their place. I'll get one of the above mentioned calls to hang on the lanyard and practice a bunch before September.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jose

Probably the only significant advantages that the shorter calls have is that if you don't have a lot of air, they're often easier to run than a longer call. And, if you prefer to use a high pitched call, as I do since that's what I hear our geese make most of the time, you can get high pitched notes faster and with less air than with a longer call. A very good caller, with a lot of air, can run a long call fast and high pitched. But, for those of us who aren't as gifted, there are advantages to using a shorter call.
tripleb
hunter

Postby goosewhisperer » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:23 pm

You can't go wrong with either of the 2 calls. I would go with the Reaper.
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:12 am

I have owned both calls you ask about and I suggest a XXX from Gander Valley Calls. The calls all had speed and good crack but the XXX drives a lot better on the real medium to low end sounds, without sacrificing the high end. These small calls are great, fun to run don't take much air and geese sure do eat them up.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby garza7585 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:20 pm

I snagged a Banded Wrecking Ball for 40% off at Cabela's in Dundee... Somewhat of an impulse buy, but I'm really enjoying it as of right now.

I've been running a few other calls and one thing i'm starting to notice is the amount of range some calls may/may not have. As of right now, i've been tinkering with the Wrecking Ball and maybe it's just me but I can't get super low with it like I can on some other calls that i've ran.

With that being said though, the more I blow the call, the better it sounds and the smoother it gets. I think this is a product of practice and the reed/toneboard breaking in as i've already started some grooves. So i'm going to keep running the call for now.

I plan on heading on down to see the guys at LMC whenever I get an open slot on my schedule. I've been swamped. I really want to run a Reaper and/or an X-Factor. I ran some of the bigger LMC calls recently and liked them so that makes me wanna try running some of the little guys.

If I come accross a GVCC XXX i'll give it a run as well.

My name is Jose... and i'm addicted to duck/goose calling.
garza7585
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:08 pm

garza7585 wrote:I snagged a Banded Wrecking Ball for 40% off at Cabela's in Dundee... Somewhat of an impulse buy, but I'm really enjoying it as of right now.

I've been running a few other calls and one thing i'm starting to notice is the amount of range some calls may/may not have. As of right now, i've been tinkering with the Wrecking Ball and maybe it's just me but I can't get super low with it like I can on some other calls that i've ran.

With that being said though, the more I blow the call, the better it sounds and the smoother it gets. I think this is a product of practice and the reed/toneboard breaking in as i've already started some grooves. So i'm going to keep running the call for now.

I plan on heading on down to see the guys at LMC whenever I get an open slot on my schedule. I've been swamped. I really want to run a Reaper and/or an X-Factor. I ran some of the bigger LMC calls recently and liked them so that makes me wanna try running some of the little guys.

If I come accross a GVCC XXX i'll give it a run as well.

My name is Jose... and i'm addicted to duck/goose calling.

I've tried a variety of tone board, reed combinations in my C&S Apostle to see what I liked best. I started with Edge E3 guts, narrow end of the reed. Used the the wide end of that reed, too. Used the Edge E4 guts, with both ends of the reed ..... and finally, Saunders blue guts, with the wide end of the E3 reed. All the Edge gut combinations played well, using fairly little air, but they seemed to lack the "low end" that I wanted. On the other hand, the Saunders guts, being the same tone channel depth, but .015" wider, using the wide end of the E3 reed, gives me a very good low end, yet is loud with a high end "crack". It just seems to be getting better and better the more I use it. It does require a bit more air to run, and I have to "pop" the air into the call a little harder to break the reed over, but it's still quite easy to run ..... and most importantly, the geese around here just seem to love it. At noon, while walking the dog around a large city pond, I pulled a pair of geese off a nearby river with the call. They seem to come out of no where and start following me around if I start making stalled clucks and murmurs on it.

So, stick with it if the call sounds good and is getting better with use. The Saunders guts in my call didn't have the "low end" they have now when I first put them it. It's taken about 10 - 15 hours of playing the call to get it to the point I'm certain it's the way I will keep it.
tripleb
hunter

Postby garza7585 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:32 pm

See, that kinda fascinates me... I guess its just my personality. I like to tinker with stuff and try different things out. But I think it's super cool to be able to "customize" the tuning on these things.

I've thrown some Edge guts with the narrow end and I think the call sounds cleaner and much easier to blow. I've taken them out though and have continued to break-in the X-Factors to see if I get better with it.

I've also ordered another set of Edge guts and the full line of LMC's guts to tinker with. I may have a hedge X-Factor on the way I think and I may tinker with the light blue guts in that call to have a mellow sounding call as well.

Overall, I appreciate your feedback and i'll continue to tinker and learn as I go.

Also, one more thing. I hear ya on what the birds like. The other day at one of the refuges here in Michigan, I went for a walk and I was trying out this Wrecking Ball for the first time and I managed to turn a few flocks of geese. Some flocks, would make a complete U-Turn and circle a couple times before realizing i'm not a goose. Now, I still don't have a clue if i'm doing half this stuff right, but that did make me feel like i'm heading in the right direction.

My next challenge overall, is putting together a decent string of notes.
garza7585
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:24 am

Here's another sequence by calling4life on an Apostle. It's not a hunting sequence, but the section from about the 17 second point to the 28 second point make a good one to practice to build up your speed. And, the pressure notes used in it will really help break in the call guts quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMH8HQPfcRE
tripleb
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:39 pm

garza7585 wrote:See, that kinda fascinates me... I guess its just my personality. I like to tinker with stuff and try different things out. But I think it's super cool to be able to "customize" the tuning on these things.

I've thrown some Edge guts with the narrow end and I think the call sounds cleaner and much easier to blow. I've taken them out though and have continued to break-in the X-Factors to see if I get better with it.

I've also ordered another set of Edge guts and the full line of LMC's guts to tinker with. I may have a hedge X-Factor on the way I think and I may tinker with the light blue guts in that call to have a mellow sounding call as well.

Overall, I appreciate your feedback and i'll continue to tinker and learn as I go.

Also, one more thing. I hear ya on what the birds like. The other day at one of the refuges here in Michigan, I went for a walk and I was trying out this Wrecking Ball for the first time and I managed to turn a few flocks of geese. Some flocks, would make a complete U-Turn and circle a couple times before realizing i'm not a goose. Now, I still don't have a clue if i'm doing half this stuff right, but that did make me feel like i'm heading in the right direction.

You touched on a very important part right there and by the sounds of itm you already have the hange of it. Knowing how to tune a call corectly plays a major roll of how you call is goin to respond. deep, high, fast, slower. And i feel the most over looked thing in a callers repitiure is his/her hands. I think you get the most sound change from using your hands. Sure calls have range from A to B but the hands enhance that sound even more...I also praise you for wanting to support your local call makers, A+ for that!

My next challenge overall, is putting together a decent string of notes.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby garza7585 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:01 pm

tripleb,

Hey thanks for those sound files, Trever and C4L's videos have been a big help in learning new notes and hearing how a good string of notes sounds.

huntfish,

I'm glad you brought up the use of hands. I agree about the handwork being one of if not the most important thing to add diversity of notes. I've been messing with 4-5 different hands positions and working real slow, clucking and double clucking and switching positions in between notes. With time, I think speed can/will get faster.

I just recieve a hedge X-Factor in the mail that I bought from the classifieds section, can't wait to run it.

Thanks again for the tips and the help!!

Jose
garza7585
hunter

Postby wvgeese » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:02 am

just picked up a :thumbsup: Saunders Atomic-G, sweet little call
wvgeese
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum