Easy Blowing Call for Beginner?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Easy Blowing Call for Beginner?

Postby BBK » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 pm

I am looking to get serious about my goose calling now that the guys I will be hunting with this year have no clue about calling. I grabbed a cheap POS short reed and I can do some basic clucks and honks with it, enough to get a stupid goose to fly within range. But I honestly cant get the call do do anything else. I am going to pick up a copy of bad grammer in a couple days, and I want to pick up a good call also so I can start out right. I'm not looking to spend $200 on a custom high end call.. I just want a call that is easy to learn on that will call geese.. and of course I'm on a college budget- but I do not want a cheap POS. I will save some pennies for a good call if I need to... or maybe find a good deal on a used one. I've always been the guy that sits quietly with his hand on his gun while the others do the calling, time for that to change.

So what are your suggestions?
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Re: Easy Blowing Call for Beginner?

Postby tripleb » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:51 am

It's too bad you didn't put up this post two weeks ago. A friend of mine had a pristine C&S Prophet, identical to the one in the picture, which he sold for $50, simply because he had blown a flute for so long that he couldn't figure out how to run a short reed call .... and didn't want to practice at it because he didn't want to annoy his wife, daughters and neighbors with the calling.

As originally set up, the hedge C&S Prophet is very easy to run and sounds pretty decent for a hunting call. It's a deeper sounding call, but can be tuned fairly easy to deliver higher pitched notes. However, the C&S guts are not a good choice for someone who pushes a lot of air through a call. But, goose call guts are cheap and easy to install. As my air capacity improved, I put in GK Edge E3 and E4 guts and now am using KOD guts in the two Prophets I have.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Scotty2hotty » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:12 am

A few options to consider
1.Field Proven Aftershock 89$ at Cabelas
2.Tim Grounds Super Mag ploycarb 60$ at Cabelas
3.Call George Lynch at Lynch Mob Calls and see if he still has any discontinued Executioners last I heard they were selling them for 60$
Better, a good days catch of fish than a lifetime of crabs... Phil Robertson
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:40 pm

So should I get a poly carb or just go straight for acrylic?
BBK
hunter

Postby goosewhisperer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:52 pm

I would go acrylic lol...pm returned
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 pm

BBK wrote:So should I get a poly carb or just go straight for acrylic?

I would spend the extra cash and get an acrylic. It will last forever and also they sound amazing. Also you might consider a winglock wood call. Preferably the longneck. $40 and a great call. I have one on my lanyard. :thumbsup:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:35 am

BBK wrote:So should I get a poly carb or just go straight for acrylic?

While some guys like the sound of poly carbonate calls, the couple I've had didn't impress me, though being lower priced calls I can't say definitively that it was the material which made the difference. What guts are used in the call can make a big difference in how it sounds whether wood, polycarb, PVC or acrylic. I much prefer a wood call, such as the hedge pictured of the Prophet, if you want a "goosey" sound. Hedge is hard to beat for a goose call. But, if you want a bit more "crack" to the sound of the call, acrylics are the popular choice.
tripleb
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:50 am

Easiest call hands down has GOT to be a Winglock Whisperer. This call flat out sounds like a goose and is super easy to run. :bow: :bow: Rick is a great guy to deal with also. Never heard a bad word about his customer service.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:48 am

You might want to consider a delrin call. They have a good sound, better than poly, and are cheaper than acrylic. Delrin just doesn't come in the cool colors that acrylic does. lol. I learned how to call with a copy of Bad Grammar and a delrin Gander Valley Powerhouse. It was a good combo for me. Mark at GVCC is a great guy and can tune the call the way you want it. Just let him know you're a beginner and are looking for a call that takes less air. He can get you set up right.

I run a shorter, faster call now, but I still have the Powerhouse on my lanyard, especially for those big resident honkers.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby BBK » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up buying a call off goosewhisperer.. A freestyle acrylic.
BBK
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum