Lets see pics of YOUR broke in guts

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Lets see pics of YOUR broke in guts

Postby goosewhisperer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:09 pm

I know a lot of people on here are using the broke in guts that you can buy. I am looking to see the progress of breaking in your own set. I don't want to see the ones that you purchased, just the ones that you spent the time on. Here is the set that I am working on right now in my Reaper.
Attachments
my big's.jpg
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Re: Lets see pics of YOUR broke in guts

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:43 pm

Won't be long before you have those puppies broke in :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Question: I don't know a whole lot about the whole broke in gut thing, other than that over time the sound gets better and better. But does the actual physical appearance change?
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby goosewhisperer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:36 am

Yeah the gut gets grooves where the reed continuously slaps against the tone channel. In this picture you can see that there arent any grooves since it is a brand new tone channel. But on the first set you see 2 grooves starting to wear into both sides of the sound channel.
Attachments
new guts.jpg
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:26 am

Oh I see it now. Thanks for the info. I'll see if any of my calls are broke In enough to have grooves. :thumbsup:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:54 am

shootable Goose wrote:Oh I see it now. Thanks for the info. I'll see if any of my calls are broke In enough to have grooves. :thumbsup:

I'd suggest you leave them as is, unless you're absolutely certain you can get the call set up the same way when you reassemble it. I have some guts made from softer plastic which are well broken in .... and I have guts in my calls made from harder plastic which are still in the process of being broken in. Though I know I can get them back close to what they are set now, it can be a real PITA doing so. I'll wait until I have some reason to take the call apart before I get a close look at the tone board now in the calls.

Usually, the first thing you see is a very slight rounding of the edges of the tone channel, then the grooves start to appear. How fast depends on a variety of factors: Hardness of the tone board plastic .... width of the reed ...... how hard you run the call ...... length of the call.

I find the shorter the call, the more spit notes and quick spits you run, the narrower the reed and the softer the plastic in the tone board, the faster the call guts will break in.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Take a look at the white DRC broke in guts. Those are molded from my originals.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum