Decisions, decisions...

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Decisions, decisions...

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:12 pm

I've been squirreling away my spending money and have it in my head that I want a new call or two. Now, it's deciding what to go with.

I currently run a delrin GVCC Powerhouse and a Wingnutz Wingmann for geese, and I really like both. I'm really leaning towards a Gander Valley XXX and thinking maybe I'll get a Homewrecker duck call along with it. But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind trying a C&S call, I know he has some new stuff coming out real soon. I've also been tossing around the thought of trying out a Cold Front Call or maybe check out Quacker Attacker calls (he's local enough I can drive to the shop and try a few things and pick something out). From what I've heard, they all make great calls. So many choices and not enough spending money. :lol3: Any input and suggestions on something that would be a good complement to what I already have on the lanyard?
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Re: Decisions, decisions...

Postby Dep6 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:54 am

Quacker Attacker seem to take ALOT of air to run the call, had one of his for a long time.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:05 am

Outdoor Gal wrote:I'm really leaning towards a Gander Valley XXX...

I don't have the breadth of Canada call experience some here do, but currently own Saunder's Traffic, GK's Canuck, Heartland's Pipsqueek, RNT's Dirty Bird and GV's XXX. They're all relatively short, quick calls with good tone, but as it stands, everything but the Dirty Bird and XXX will eventually find other homes. The XXX is my favorite of that pair, in part because the shape of its insert is a better fit for my small hand, which may be a consideration for you, as well.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:12 am

Outdoor Gal wrote:I've been squirreling away my spending money and have it in my head that I want a new call or two. Now, it's deciding what to go with.

I currently run a delrin GVCC Powerhouse and a Wingnutz Wingmann for geese, and I really like both. I'm really leaning towards a Gander Valley XXX and thinking maybe I'll get a Homewrecker duck call along with it. But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind trying a C&S call, I know he has some new stuff coming out real soon. I've also been tossing around the thought of trying out a Cold Front Call or maybe check out Quacker Attacker calls (he's local enough I can drive to the shop and try a few things and pick something out). From what I've heard, they all make great calls. So many choices and not enough spending money. :lol3: Any input and suggestions on something that would be a good complement to what I already have on the lanyard?

I have owned many goose calls. Nothing wrong with what you are after...BUT!

The BEST call I have now for geese is a $20 Buck Gardner Canada Hammer. It sounds good, is LOUD, and does not take a lot of air to run or a lot of money to buy.

I grab my Hammer and bypass a box full of name brand and custom goose calls...
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:31 am

Just find one you really like and remember, you don't have to but just one :biggrin:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:36 am

I don't have the ability to push a lot of air through a goose call, so that tends to restrict me to calls which don't require a lot of air to run. I like higher pitched calls, since they seem to be more attractive to the geese I hunt (most of the time), and find the Gander Valley Triple X and the C&S Apostle to be my favorites. Of the two, the GVCC Triple X is probably the easiest to run as set up from the call maker, but it does require a little more air to run than the Apostle. I preferred to switch out the guts of my Apostles, first to GK Edge E3, then to Saunders blue guts with the wide end of the E3 reed.

As modified, the Apostle is faster and louder than the Triple X, but it's also harder to control as it requires very little hand/finger movement to change notes. The way I learned to run it, was to find a hand position that gave me a good "cluck" and was easily repeatable without looking at my hands. Then, I started making slight movements of my fingers to see what changes they would make to the notes. After several months of using it, I can pick up the call in the dark and make the notes I want based on muscle memory. It's not hard to run, but it's not a call most people can run in a week or so of practicing, because of how little hand/finger movement is required. It's sort of like a sports car .... it changes directions with very little effort. It's the call I use most of the time. If you're willing to practice with the calls, I'd recommend either of those two calls. If you're not going to practice very much, I'd get the Triple X, since it's easier to control.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:59 am

What in the world? I've posted twice now and they're not showing up? Weird.

Anyway, thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I'm still really thinking about a XXX. I lurk a lot in the classifieds and I can't remember the last time I saw a used one for sale. I figure that's a good sign. Those with the call, keep it. :thumbsup:

TomKat, my sensible side tells me to stick with the calls I have, because they totally work for me. However, that little stash of "my cash" is burning a hole in my pocket. I tend to be the saver in the family, but I'm finally getting the urge to spend. And my girly side is screaming, "YAY! Accessorizing!" :lol3: My hubby used to have a Cananda Hammer, but he didn't like it, and gave it away. This was when I was just learning how to run a call, so I never really tried it. He and I like our calls set up differently so there's a good chance I would have liked it.

Another question for you guys. Does hedge or other wood calls, really have that different of a sound than acrylic? I've never had the opportunity to run a wood call.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Any wood is going to have a much "hollower" sound. They can be a little finicky to tune, but once you get them right on they are awesome. I love Hedge personally.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Maybe a head thing, but I think hedge has a bit of resonance I particularly like in a goose call. My XXX (and one of the two speck calls I hunt with) is hedge.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:02 am

Rick Hall wrote:Maybe a head thing, but I think hedge has a bit of resonance I particularly like in a goose call. My XXX (and one of the two speck calls I hunt with) is hedge.

I have two Triple X's., one in hedge and the other in acrylic. The hedge definitely gives you a more "goosey" sound, but surprisingly, it's not as much difference in the Triple X as I'm seen in some other calls. If you don't mind dealing with the issues of sealing the surface, inside and out, and drying out the call after use, hedge is a good choice. But, if getting a "maintenance free" call is important, acrylic is the way to go. Remember, wood will expand and contract over time and with use and that can lead to checking of the finish or cracking of the wood itself.

BTW, I used a heavy coat of a good carnauba paste wax on the inside and outside of the call, then rather than buffing off the white residue, I melted all the wax with a blow dryer ... call guts having been removed first, of course. Then, I buffed out the wax with a wool sock. It's left a pretty thick wax coat which ought to seal the finish pretty well.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:26 am

tripleb wrote:BTW, I used a heavy coat of a good carnauba paste wax on the inside and outside of the call, then rather than buffing off the white residue, I melted all the wax with a blow dryer ... call guts having been removed first, of course. Then, I buffed out the wax with a wool sock. It's left a pretty thick wax coat which ought to seal the finish pretty well.

I took a different route after looking into what's used on frequently washed woods like spoons, salad bowls and cutting boards. Now if a hedge call is a keeper, I treat it with Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner: a combination of food grade mineral oil, beeswax, carnauba wax and vitamin E that soaks into the wood. So far, so good for durability and alleviating swelling when wet. I've quit taking my old hedge Short Barrel apart between uses and like the finish it leaves well enough to have asked that the hedge insert I had made for my New Old Style be shipped unfinished, and been glad I did.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 am

Rick Hall wrote:
tripleb wrote:BTW, I used a heavy coat of a good carnauba paste wax on the inside and outside of the call, then rather than buffing off the white residue, I melted all the wax with a blow dryer ... call guts having been removed first, of course. Then, I buffed out the wax with a wool sock. It's left a pretty thick wax coat which ought to seal the finish pretty well.

I took a different route after looking into what's used on frequently washed woods like spoons, salad bowls and cutting boards. Now if a hedge call is a keeper, I treat it with Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner: a combination of food grade mineral oil, beeswax, carnauba wax and vitamin E that soaks into the wood. So far, so good for durability and alleviating swelling when wet. I've quit taking my old hedge Short Barrel apart between uses and like the finish it leaves well enough to have asked that the hedge insert I had made for my New Old Style be shipped unfinished, and been glad I did.

That's the only real problem with a wood call. Whatever method you use to seal the wood surface, you gamble on the wood being sufficiently stable to withstand the repeated exposure to large amounts of moisture, followed by the drying effects of forced air heating (at least in the north during hunting seasons). That's why I bought a spare Triple X in acrylic .... and I've used it on my lanyard in preference to the hedge call because of durability considerations.
tripleb
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 pm

I like hedge calls, pretty to look at and sound great
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby muskyduck » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:03 pm

TomKat wrote:I have owned many goose calls. Nothing wrong with what you are after...BUT!

The BEST call I have now for geese is a $20 Buck Gardner Canada Hammer. It sounds good, is LOUD, and does not take a lot of air to run or a lot of money to buy.

I grab my Hammer and bypass a box full of name brand and custom goose calls...

No Doubt that the Canada Hammer is the best bang for your buck! I ran it for a long time and haven't seen any calls that can be that forgiving for the cost. It is even better then alot of calls I've tried that cost over $100!

However, I also ran across calls that can make sounds the Canada Hammer can't. Also, calls that are just plain sharper and spot on! I am a huge LMC Reaper fan. I've tried a few of their other calls as well and really like them, but that Reaper flat out does it all and is worth every penny! The Foiles High Plains Honker would be my second pick, for what it's worth.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Outdoor gal..... Follow your feelings on the XXX goose call, Mark will make sure it is what you want. I can not be happier with my XXX collection, they run so easy and smooth and they sound better than most short calls I have ran. It sounds like a goose....not a goose call. My 2 cents on the subject. Oh and you will love the Homewrecker duck call to. Good stuff at the GVCC shop!
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:14 am

Just to complicate the decision making process, here's a link to C&S website showing the differences between the two cast acrylic goose calls MIke makes. The calls without a metal band are $65,with a metal band they're $80. The video is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.cscustomcalls.com/Goose-Calls.html
tripleb
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out for the new C&S stuff. It's a great price too, which was really tempting, but I decided to stick with my first choice and I'm going to get the XXX. I still may try something from C&S in the future.

Thanks guys for the info on hedge. I think I'm leaning towards acrylic due to the Michigan weather we get, but it's tempting to pick up a hedge call and give it a try. No one I hunt with runs a wood call and a bit of a different sound might be nice on some days. Just another fun decision to make. :thumbsup:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Marcus Riley » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:34 pm

I think you made a great choice. I personally run more Gander Valley calls than another brand. They have a great fit in hand, I like their tone (very realistic) and they run easy. You ever need service they are the best I have dealt with to date. That is saying something as there is a lot of good companies to choose from. Mark is a call maker that guides, he hunts a lot so he uses the calls in the field and needs them to perform...this is evident in his calls. I went out to hunt with them on a 2 day hunt and all I can say is that guy can play the birds like no one else I have hunted with. I was sold after that guided trip.

Make sure to let us know how the call works out for you, very cool to see a female out doors enjoying some of wonder of waterfowling. :beer:
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks! I've always loved the outdoors, grew up deer hunting with my dad, and then married a guy who hunts pretty much everything. It worked out for me, I got the opportunity to try a few things I'd always wanted to, like waterfowling, and now I'm hooked. :thumbsup:

And you're right, Mark's a great guy! He was so helpful on the phone. I recently sent my Powerhouse and my husband's PCS to him for a retune and he'll be putting a couple new calls in the box when he send them back. :yes: I ended up picking out an acrylic XXX (blue pearl barrel, ivory insert) and we talked for a while about duck calls. I've never used a single reed but would really like to give it a try, so he offered to send me both the single and double reed setup tuned for my call. I thought that was awesome! Ended up with going with ivory on the Homewrecker. Can't wait to get my new toys to try them out!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 am

Sounds like you got a couple new calls headed your way, very nice. I really enjoy the Homewrecker to, one sweet duck call. Hard to beat that set up ,congrats and we need pictures! :thumbsup:
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon May 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Got my calls today! :yes: That XXX is a sick little call! :thumbsup: I'm going to have fun with it for sure. And I really like the Homewrecker too. I think I'll play with it as a single for a few days and then try the double-reed setup Mark sent along with it too. I can't wait to do some more practicing with both.

They are pretty little things too! This picture doesn't do them justice. I was almost second-guessing my color choice, but now that I have them in hand, I'm really digging the blue.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby tripleb » Tue May 08, 2012 6:49 am

Outdoor Gal wrote:Got my calls today! :yes: That XXX is a sick little call! :thumbsup: I'm going to have fun with it for sure. And I really like the Homewrecker too. I think I'll play with it as a single for a few days and then try the double-reed setup Mark sent along with it too. I can't wait to do some more practicing with both.

They are pretty little things too! This picture doesn't do them justice. I was almost second-guessing my color choice, but now that I have them in hand, I'm really digging the blue.

Very nice looking calls. :thumbsup: If you want to make the Triple X even easier to blow, you can substitute some Saunders standard red guts for the KOD's which come in the call, but continue to use the GVCC reed. The Saunders guts are a little shallower than the KOD's, but with the same width. I swapped out the guts on my two Triple X's and like them better with the Saunders. But ...... I like an easy blowing call that I can run fast. I used the unshaved reed when I made the switch. I never tried the shaved reed with the Saunders guts.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Wed May 09, 2012 7:12 am

I think that color combo looks sweet!! I think you will only like that XXX more and more. I had a few of the newer short calls and this new XXX had them all beat with the sounds I can get out of it. The Homewrecker .....well lets just say it has been very good to me in the field and is just a fun call to run on. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Outdoor Gal wrote:Got my calls today! :yes: That XXX is a sick little call! :thumbsup: I'm going to have fun with it for sure. And I really like the Homewrecker too. I think I'll play with it as a single for a few days and then try the double-reed setup Mark sent along with it too. I can't wait to do some more practicing with both.

Beautiful calls! I tried a Powerhouse one time and it was very hard to blow which discouraged me from buying a Gander Valley. However, short calls are my kinda call and I plan on getting a XXX. Great color combo!
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby viskey » Wed May 09, 2012 1:09 pm

I know this wasn't in your first post as far as descisions go but you should give Lynch Mob a try. I have the Lawmaker and the Stranglehold! I love them both! I played around with some others but these sound amazing! George even has a program available where you can try them out so if they aren't a good fit for you, you can send them back. Worth a try! Good luck on the purchase!
Richard Visker
Big Al's Decoys Pro-Staff
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Dakota Hunting Retriever Club
SDWA | SDWF | DU
viskey
hunter

Next

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum