Practice makes Permanent

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Re: Practice makes Permanent

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:52 pm

If you have any extra time I would maybe want to Skype a bit. I have it down pretty well but could use some pointers.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Skype name is: shootablegoose
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:41 pm

for a quick refrence, the way that you present air into a short reed goose call, is the same way that you whistle. Starting and stopping notes and cutting them off. Its a good way to pratice if your a beginer caller and dont have a lotta confidence in your abilities, or someone in person to help you.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:05 am

shootable Goose wrote:If you have any extra time I would maybe want to Skype a bit. I have it down pretty well but could use some pointers.

Sure thing SG
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:31 am

goosehunter64 wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:If you have any extra time I would maybe want to Skype a bit. I have it down pretty well but could use some pointers.

Sure thing SG

I need more info..my skype is not accepting just that name SG...why I don't know :huh:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:44 pm

goosehunter64 wrote:
goosehunter64 wrote:

Sure thing SG

I need more info..my skype is not accepting just that name SG...why I don't know :huh:

I have no idea. I'm completely new to Skype. :huh:
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:22 pm

shootable Goose wrote:
goosehunter64 wrote:
goosehunter64 wrote:

Sure thing SG

I have no idea. I'm completely new to Skype. :huh:

pm me your name and email....I'm pretty new to it as well :oops:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue May 01, 2012 10:01 am

jwoodcock wrote:No DVD, CD, or youtube video will teach you. You need to get with a person in person. It will speed up the learning curve, however make sure they are experienced and you personally like the sound of their calling. The heck with what other people say. It is you and the geese that are the judge.

Not sure if I completely agree with you on this. I learned by watching video of contest callers on YouTube and figuring out how to mimic the individual sounds on my own. When I got the basics down I discovered Bad Grammar. That taught me the more advanced notes and how to build speed. I became pretty proficient with that and just figuring stuff out my own. What really took my calling to another level was studying geese. It made my sounds much more natural sounding.

Maybe I'm not the norm, but video and geese were all I needed. I like you don't idolize anybody in the sport as I have found too many of them to be far different than the general public sees them. I do however recommend the Bad Grammar series based on the sheer depth of information it goes into. Scott is a heck of a caller, but its the fact of how well he explains how to create the sounds that really makes the series truly innovative and effective in my eyes.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby ctmsnow32 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:56 am

Hey guys thanks for all the talk and recommendations. I know it was a pretty vague way to describe my problems. I think I'm gonna give bad grammar a try. I think a systematic dvd might be helpful. Another problem that I have discovered is that when I try to get that deeper air from my gut and throat and get a lot of vibration through the call... Am I getting too throaty with it or is this just another thing I need to fine tune? thanks again
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue May 01, 2012 11:58 am

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
jwoodcock wrote:No DVD, CD, or youtube video will teach you. You need to get with a person in person. It will speed up the learning curve, however make sure they are experienced and you personally like the sound of their calling. The heck with what other people say. It is you and the geese that are the judge.

Not sure if I completely agree with you on this. I learned by watching video of contest callers on YouTube and figuring out how to mimic the individual sounds on my own. When I got the basics down I discovered Bad Grammar. That taught me the more advanced notes and how to build speed. I became pretty proficient with that and just figuring stuff out my own. What really took my calling to another level was studying geese. It made my sounds much more natural sounding.

Maybe I'm not the norm, but video and geese were all I needed. I like you don't idolize anybody in the sport as I have found too many of them to be far different than the general public sees them. I do however recommend the Bad Grammar series based on the sheer depth of information it goes into. Scott is a heck of a caller, but its the fact of how well he explains how to create the sounds that really makes the series truly innovative and effective in my eyes.

People learn through the use of their three senses .... auditory (hearing), visual (seeing) and kinesthetic (manual manipulation). Apparently, you're a person who learns effectively through your auditory sense. There are those of us (me), whose auditory senses are the least effective means of learning of the three senses. I can listen to a recording 100 times and not remember how to start off the sequence. But, if I play the notes ..... and it takes quite a few times doing so .... I can learn them. For me, visual and kinesthetic senses are the most effective ways to learn. You know how some people can take an instrument, hear a melody and repeat it with little practice ..... that ain't me. :lol3: That's why those simple hunting sequences are so helpful. They're not complicated by background music as is the case in most commercial hunting videos. They're relatively short in length and easy to learn with some repeated practice.
tripleb
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue May 01, 2012 12:03 pm

ctmsnow32 wrote:Hey guys thanks for all the talk and recommendations. I know it was a pretty vague way to describe my problems. I think I'm gonna give bad grammar a try. I think a systematic dvd might be helpful. Another problem that I have discovered is that when I try to get that deeper air from my gut and throat and get a lot of vibration through the call... Am I getting too throaty with it or is this just another thing I need to fine tune? thanks again

How does it sound? Does it sound more like a goose or less like a goose when you do it. You might have a friend listen to you from 75 to 100 yards away playing the call both ways and let you know which sounds the most realistic.

I'd recommend listening to echos, but I've found that there are few places where I can get an echo return reproducing the "buzz" of the call. Apparently, it's just something which does not reflect as well as a higher pitched cluck. I hear the "buzz" with my ear from the call, but the echo comes back pretty clean, without the "buzz".
tripleb
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue May 01, 2012 1:20 pm

ctmsnow32 wrote:Hey guys thanks for all the talk and recommendations. I know it was a pretty vague way to describe my problems. I think I'm gonna give bad grammar a try. I think a systematic dvd might be helpful. Another problem that I have discovered is that when I try to get that deeper air from my gut and throat and get a lot of vibration through the call... Am I getting too throaty with it or is this just another thing I need to fine tune? thanks again

You want deep clean air. Basically you are humming into the call. From what you say it sounds like you are growling not humming into the call.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue May 01, 2012 1:26 pm

I pretty much learn all three ways. I can read something once and remember it, that's how I got through school. I can do something repeatitively and pick it up, that's how I got my baseball swing and contest routines down. And I learned how to call by hearing and figuring it out.

It's funny my best calling in the field happens when I can hear birds before shooting time, because I can mimic them almost perfectly vs calling like I am used to running a call which is a little more mechanical
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue May 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:I pretty much learn all three ways. I can read something once and remember it, that's how I got through school. I can do something repeatitively and pick it up, that's how I got my baseball swing and contest routines down. And I learned how to call by hearing and figuring it out.

It's funny my best calling in the field happens when I can hear birds before shooting time, because I can mimic them almost perfectly vs calling like I am used to running a call which is a little more mechanical

I find, after spending a lot of time practicing your hunting sequences, that I can mimic them pretty well, too. But ........ an hour later, if its something I haven't practiced before I won't remember the notes well enough to repeat them in the sequences I heard the geese make. I am the same way with music .... I have a very good memory for speech I've heard or read, but music? If someone asked me to hum a few bars of my favorite tune, I couldn't remember what my favorite tune was, much less hum a bit of it. I've always been that way. Perhaps that's why, while I enjoy listening to it, music has never been very important to me ... and why learning goose call sequences is tougher for me than for some others.

And, its why I am trying to build up more of a repertoire of short calling sequences.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue May 01, 2012 5:18 pm

tripleb wrote:
Trevor Shannahan wrote:I pretty much learn all three ways. I can read something once and remember it, that's how I got through school. I can do something repeatitively and pick it up, that's how I got my baseball swing and contest routines down. And I learned how to call by hearing and figuring it out.

I find, after spending a lot of time practicing your hunting sequences, that I can mimic them pretty well, too. But ........ an hour later, if its something I haven't practiced before I won't remember the notes well enough to repeat them in the sequences I heard the geese make. I am the same way with music .... I have a very good memory for speech I've heard or read, but music? If someone asked me to hum a few bars of my favorite tune, I couldn't remember what my favorite tune was, much less hum a bit of it. I've always been that way. Perhaps that's why, while I enjoy listening to it, music has never been very important to me ... and why learning goose call sequences is tougher for me than for some others.

And, its why I am trying to build up more of a repertoire of short calling sequences.

Dang that must suck. Even though I dont play an instrument, music is honestly a necessity for me. It gets me through every day, I'm not sure what I would do without it.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby tripleb » Wed May 02, 2012 10:14 am

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
tripleb wrote:

Dang that must suck. Even though I dont play an instrument, music is honestly a necessity for me. It gets me through every day, I'm not sure what I would do without it.

There are some advantages. Think how much money you would have saved not having to buy music CD's or spend money on a high end home and/or car audio system. :lol3:
tripleb
hunter

Postby 2point » Wed May 02, 2012 9:04 pm

goosehunter64 I think you have it. I have the bad grammar DVD, a good call, and each time I practice I sound the same not very damn goosey. I wish I would accidently hit it right once in a while just to get some confidence and have clues on what to change. I am like why should I practice, it always sounds the same. It looks like you are going to be busy helping guys :yes: but I would love to skype with you sometime.
2point
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu May 03, 2012 6:05 am

2point wrote:goosehunter64 I think you have it. I have the bad grammar DVD, a good call, and each time I practice I sound the same not very damn goosey. I wish I would accidently hit it right once in a while just to get some confidence and have clues on what to change. I am like why should I practice, it always sounds the same. It looks like you are going to be busy helping guys :yes: but I would love to skype with you sometime.

Don't judge how your call sounds by how it sounds inside. You'd be surprised how much differently it might sound if run outside. It's usually lower in pitch ... sometimes quite a bit lower.

There's two main ways you change how your notes sound .... raising or lowering the pressure/volume of the air you push into the call and manipulation of your hands to change the back pressure .... and a combination of both of those two things done together. Sometimes, the only way you can figure out how to do those two things is to experiment and see what happens. If you make a note you like .... you have to figure out what you did to make it and try to make it again.

I found, using Grounds calls years ago, I was having the same issues described by you. Ultimately, when I switched to easier to run calls, like those made by Winglock, C&S Custom Calls and Gander Valley Custom Calls, I could make those extra notes. It wasn't that the Grounds calls weren't good calls ..... it's just that they required more air to operate properly than I could comfortably deliver at that time. So ...... my note repertoire was very limited ..... as was my inclination to practice more, since I couldn't see much improvement from the effort. When I started using calls which didn't require a lot of air to run, I could concentrate more on hand manipulation of the call and presentation of the air into the call .... I was getting "goose" sounds and that encouraged me to practice more.
tripleb
hunter

Previous

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum