Wood Goose Calls

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Wood Goose Calls

Postby Cliner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:55 am

Just wanted to get some opinions on wood goose calls. I, nor have any of my hunting partners, ever used wood goose calls. I cannot remember a single time when anybody I've hunted with has used a wood goose calls. We always have used acrylic and ery few polys.

So what is everyone's take on these? We usually are open cornfield hunting or over small, acre sized ponds in the early season. We also hunt pretty large canada geese, very few lessers.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Re: Wood Goose Calls

Postby Teddy Sherwood » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:16 am

Then a wood call would be perfect for you. Wood has a more hollow sound to it overall. You will get different sounds with different woods thought I personally like Hedge wood myself but I have used pecan as well and that is alot softer and less loud. Early on in the year through the last day I have pulled geese with a wooden call. I like to use mine in low to no wind obviously and over water those to me are the perfect times to use them. Like you, for early goose and for some time during the first weeks of regulation I hunt cut corn with ponds located around it and I use a Hedge call.
Teddy Sherwood
hunter

Postby Cliner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:39 am

Teddy Sherwood wrote:Then a wood call would be perfect for you. Wood has a more hollow sound to it overall. You will get different sounds with different woods thought I personally like Hedge wood myself but I have used pecan as well and that is alot softer and less loud. Early on in the year through the last day I have pulled geese with a wooden call. I like to use mine in low to no wind obviously and over water those to me are the perfect times to use them. Like you, for early goose and for some time during the first weeks of regulation I hunt cut corn with ponds located around it and I use a Hedge call.

Wow, it's refreshing to see a well thought out, relevant answer to a post. Thanks for your help Teddy, I may have to try out a hedge call for next season! :beer:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:25 am

Don't over look cocabola....its sharper and a lil louder and crisp IMHO. A call for leeser works great on large gesse but especially migrators. If all your buddies are in the market...I would go both types of wood.
Good luck with what you decide...
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Storm » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Haven't tried a ton of different woods besides a couple hedge and a maple lynch mob slipknot. I do like them but especially the maple slipknot. Wood definitly has a spot on the lanyard.
Storm
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:31 pm

About 85% of the calling I do while hunting geese is with a hedge dirtybird. only on the windiest of days do I really switch over to a louder acrylic.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Cliner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:32 pm

goosehunter64 wrote:Don't over look cocabola....its sharper and a lil louder and crisp IMHO. A call for leeser works great on large gesse but especially migrators. If all your buddies are in the market...I would go both types of wood.
Good luck with what you decide...

Never even thought about that. I didn't know they made goose calls in that wood.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby Cliner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Anyone have any recommendations on calls? I really like the way Foiles SMH sounds in acryllic, the low end is great for me. I also have a canuck, but don't use the high end too often. I was thinking something that has a good low-end would be awesome. Let me know what you guys think.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm not a Foiles/crimal fan. I have nothing good to say about him..so that's all I'm saying. A lot of great calls out there have great bottom end..but a lot has to do with the operator...just need to try a bunch out and have someone listen to you.. :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Cliner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:18 pm

goosehunter64 wrote:I'm not a Foiles/crimal fan. I have nothing good to say about him..so that's all I'm saying. A lot of great calls out there have great bottom end..but a lot has to do with the operator...just need to try a bunch out and have someone listen to you.. :thumbsup:

Didn't need to be said at all really. I'm not condoning what he did, he made a good call, that's all. Just trying to find out a call that sounds similar
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:33 pm

Cline wrote:
goosehunter64 wrote:I'm not a Foiles/crimal fan. I have nothing good to say about him..so that's all I'm saying. A lot of great calls out there have great bottom end..but a lot has to do with the operator...just need to try a bunch out and have someone listen to you.. :thumbsup:

Didn't need to be said at all really. I'm not condoning what he did, he made a good call, that's all. Just trying to find out a call that sounds similar

Sorry..he just leaves such a sour taste in my mouth...but I agree..he does make a good product.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:59 am

Cline wrote:Anyone have any recommendations on calls? I really like the way Foiles SMH sounds in acryllic, the low end is great for me. I also have a canuck, but don't use the high end too often. I was thinking something that has a good low-end would be awesome. Let me know what you guys think.

If you like the SMH, look for one in Maple. Great call, regardless of the man behind the brand. Pretty much every call maker out there offers one or two of their models in wood, be it cocobola, hedge, maple, walnut, etc. My favorites are burnt hedge and maple, but that's mainly for the aesthetics.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 am

Winglock makes a number of wood calls. I have been blowing a wood flute for more than 20 years and have always liked the mellower sound that I felt a walnut call gives me. We hunt a lot of big geese with a good number of migrators mixing in later in the season. They seem to work the deep mellow wood calls very well for us.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby wvugunner92 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:31 pm

Cline wrote:Anyone have any recommendations on calls? I really like the way Foiles SMH sounds in acryllic, the low end is great for me. I also have a canuck, but don't use the high end too often. I was thinking something that has a good low-end would be awesome. Let me know what you guys think.

Cline

I have both a acrylic and a cocobloa SMH and both stay around my lanyard. IMO the SMH cocobloa is deadly and would be a great choice to cover the volume and pitch spectrum. I normaly run my Acrylic foiles in windy or blue bird days when the birds tend to be a little higher being as that the Acrylic's crack seems to get their attention. On the water or overcast days i would much rather blow the Cocoblola because it seems to have a much more goosey sound. Most of this you probably already knew but I just wanted to let you know IMO how usefull a wood call can be.
Also, all this foiles hating around this site can get frustrating at times i can understand. His calls are amoung the top, and suit my style the best. The SMH is proven, and with the addition of the cocobola im sure you wont be dissapointed.
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Postby Cliner » Wed May 02, 2012 9:32 am

wvugunner92 wrote:

Cline

I have both a acrylic and a cocobloa SMH and both stay around my lanyard. IMO the SMH cocobloa is deadly and would be a great choice to cover the volume and pitch spectrum. I normaly run my Acrylic foiles in windy or blue bird days when the birds tend to be a little higher being as that the Acrylic's crack seems to get their attention. On the water or overcast days i would much rather blow the Cocoblola because it seems to have a much more goosey sound. Most of this you probably already knew but I just wanted to let you know IMO how usefull a wood call can be.
Also, all this foiles hating around this site can get frustrating at times i can understand. His calls are amoung the top, and suit my style the best. The SMH is proven, and with the addition of the cocobola im sure you wont be dissapointed.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to try out hedge and cocobola. I'm hoping Rogers has some wood calls I can go out and try.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Fri May 04, 2012 8:32 am

Hedge is where it is at with goose call. It has the best sound, very natural and mellow. I think that if you can tune the same call in various woods you will hear the subtle difference. I also like that way the Hedge wood ages....it gets darker and darker as the call gets used. The sun oxidizes the wood into a nice carmel color. I think that if you are going to own a wood call you should be prepared to take some extra care....good advice above. Good luck on the hunt, let us know what you ended up doing.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby waterfowl1030 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:52 pm

My low end call is a big sean's big kahuna with broke in guts, i run it in acrylic but he offers it in cocabola and hedge as well, excellent goosey sound to it
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
waterfowl1030
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Cocobola goose call on the far right. All calls are CCC:

2 hedge calls and and maple/acrylic insert. All Winglock:

Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby fsulaxer » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:25 pm

I have had the Foiles high plains in flammed hedge and birdseye maple i loved the wood calls, don't have any anymore but would def recommend giving the High Plains a shot its an awesome call in acrylic and wood. Give the guys in pittsfield a call drew or rascle will hook ya up
Adam Sultenfuss
Foiles Migrators
Centreville Md
fsulaxer
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:00 pm

I am a wood call fan, I have no goose calls in wood but truly like the sound. A buddy of mine blows a cocoabola triple crown and it is GOOSEY. Real nice mellow sound but can still get after it. I would never hesitate to use one especially to vary the sound of your hunting party.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Theircommited10 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:36 pm

For whatever reason it seems the majority of goose hunters have leaned towards that of the acrylic revolution the past 5-10 years, more so than duck hunters. I think alot of the goose guys are missing out on a good thing with a wood call. I started witha wood goose call 14 years ago now Im back to wood. Wood goose calls have been all Ive hunted the past 4 years and will probably be all I hunt the rest of my life. Love them ! :thumbsup:
Theircommited10
DHC Sponsor

Postby vt.honker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:56 am

Cline wrote:
Teddy Sherwood wrote:Then a wood call would be perfect for you. Wood has a more hollow sound to it overall. You will get different sounds with different woods thought I personally like Hedge wood myself but I have used pecan as well and that is alot softer and less loud. Early on in the year through the last day I have pulled geese with a wooden call. I like to use mine in low to no wind obviously and over water those to me are the perfect times to use them. Like you, for early goose and for some time during the first weeks of regulation I hunt cut corn with ponds located around it and I use a Hedge call.

Wow, it's refreshing to see a well thought out, relevant answer to a post. Thanks for your help Teddy, I may have to try out a hedge call for next season! :beer:

:hi: I HAVE JUST PUT A HEDGE SUPER MAG(9/10) UP FOR SALE IN THE CLASSIFIEDS OF GOOSE HUNTINGCHAT.ASKING $120.00 OR BEST OFFER....PAY PAL ACCEPTED :yes:
Last edited by vt.honker on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:01 am

Cline wrote:Just wanted to get some opinions on wood goose calls. I, nor have any of my hunting partners, ever used wood goose calls. I cannot remember a single time when anybody I've hunted with has used a wood goose calls. We always have used acrylic and ery few polys.

So what is everyone's take on these? We usually are open cornfield hunting or over small, acre sized ponds in the early season. We also hunt pretty large canada geese, very few lessers.

I currently have 3 wood goose calls ..... hedge C&S Prophet, Hawaiian Curl Koa Prophet and a hedge GVCC Triple X. The hedge calls have a certain resonance to them which makes them sound more like a real goose than a turned acrylic call. I hate to use them because the acrylic calls have worked well and they're virtually maintenance free, while you do have to take a bit more care to preserve the wood calls if you want them to look nice.

One other option to wood or turned acrylic calls are the poured (molded) acrylic calls. It's a bit softer than the turned acrylic and seems to have a sound more like the wood calls than turned acrylic. They're also cheaper than turned acrylic. C&S Custom Calls has a cast acrylic (molded) Disciple and Apostle and Addiction Calls has a cast acrylic model, the Habit. The C&S molded calls are seamless and start at $65 without a band ... $80 with a metal band. Addiction Calls is having a limited time special sale on his call ..... $45, plus shipping, with a regular price at $65.00. Both call makers also offer cast acrylic duck calls at their same prices.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:42 pm

I, like most here have many...many calls. That said the call that gets 99% of my attention is my maple Tim Grounds Super Mag. By far the best call I own. I WILL be buried with this call...
Attachments
Killer Combo.jpg
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:46 pm

I just got an Overload from Trevor Shannahan. It is a Birdseye Maple/Ebony with X-Factor guts in it. Took me several days to tune this goose call, as I have not had any experience with them. The X-Factors have a little more buzz than I would like, so I am still getting used to them and this call. The barrel is not a "glodo-type" which I am also not used to. Here is a picture. This call will simply be a hunting call.....nothing more...nothing less :thumbsup:
Last edited by mayhem96 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mayhem96
hunter

Next

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum