Short reed tuning

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Short reed tuning

Postby Vt~Vinci » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:05 pm

Alright, so I just got a lannom airborne virus from the classifieds and I don't have a whole heck of a lot of experience on a goose call. I have a zink pc1 in poly that I used for what little goose hunting we were doing in past years but we are gonna be going in hot and heavy on Canada's this year. This call is completely different from the pc1. For starters it takes a whole lot more air to run. When I first got i messed with the reed a bit as I couldn't get it to break over for a honk. I've got that squared away but now it'll air lock after a little sequence. I've been messing with the reed position like crazy and made sure it was installed with the middle bow going down but can't seem to get a decent "goosy" sound out of it without having the air lock issue. Can anybody give me some pointers here? Will this call attain a deeper sound or is it strictly for higher pitched clucking? Am I blowing wrong? I'm not sure what the deal is. If anyone has had lock up problems and can just let me know what they did to resolve them I would appreciate it. Any help or ideas is and are better than none.

Thanks
Ryan
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Re: Short reed tuning

Postby Teddy Sherwood » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:23 pm

The reason that it seems this call is completly different is because I take it this one is acrylic and the PC1 is a poly call, starting on a poly call alot of guys recommend but when you transition to a different call that is not poly you will have a hell of a time almost re-learning your goose calling. The biggest thing is you need to have your air pressure, flow, and presentation down to a science with these calls when your used to poly calls this will help you greatly in calling on an acrylic call. As for the reed tuning. Make sure the reed does not hit the down channel THATS HUGE. 2 for now, I dont know if lonnom calls has a line on the tone channel but if it does just have the wedge there for now so you get used to blowing this call, then later move the wedge forward to create a high pitch and back for a lowertone. Hope this helps if not PM me and you can give me a call
Teddy Sherwood
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:10 am

Usually, when I have had issues with a short reed goose call locking up, it's for one of three reasons. (1) The reed tip needs to be able to drop into the tone channel .... even if it's just a little bit. If it can't .... you'll hear a "pfffftbbbdd" and the reed tip hits the tone board. (2) If the call isn't broken in, a pressure note (quick spit note, spit note, etc.) can cause the reed to lock up if you're pushing too much air through it, too hard. As the guts break in, this will stop. (3) The more common reason for the call locking up if you're not pushing too much air though the call is the reed tip touching the back of the tone channel. If you have the reed set very close to the end of the tone channel, with a minimum of clearance, the reed tip might be touching the back of the tone channel as it dips into it. Take your finger and slowly depress the tip of the reed into the tone channel. If it doesn't drop into the tone channel ........ there's your problem. If it drops into the tone channel, but you hear it rubbing, or clicking as it does .... there's your problem. You can either adjust the reed, or you can use a finger nail board to lightly sand away the portion of the reed which is touching. If you use a nail board, put something on top of the tone board so you don't scar the tone board in the process and sand away a little at a time where it's rubbing, trying the call in between.

I set my reeds very close to the end of tone channel, but still allow them to drop into the tone channel. I notice that with a new reed, the call will run clean and smooth .... but as the reed limbers up, it starts to slow down on note changes, requiring me to push more air into the call to run it. I normally just bend the reed tip up a bit. That provides enough clearance that the call runs smooth again.

I use a hemostat, bending the tip up about 45 degrees, then releasing it. You don't want a 45 degree bend in the reed tip, just bend it up that much and release. It will relax to about this point with use.

Reed is bent on the top side of the black line at the tip end of the reed.

Bent reed after it has relaxed with a little use.

Of course, the safe thing to do is to send the call back to the call maker to have him adjust it for you. You can tell him what your requirements are, and if he needs to make it run easier, he can shave the reed for you. Of course, since you didn't buy the call from him, he may charge you for his labor and certainly, you should send him money for return postage, in any case. When you get it back,use a Sharpie pen to mark the junction of the reed and wedge ... and if you have a dial caliper, you can measure the distance from the reed tip to the wedge and write that down for future reference, so you can get the call back to the same tuning point.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Vt~Vinci » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:51 am

Alright, so I checked and the reed has had the tip bent up. Also the guts are at least slightly worn and I've ensured the reed lines up with the wear marks. When I align the reed tip with the end of the tone channel and ensure it doesn't scrub I get an odd cluck sound, it's not clean it almost sounds like one cluck with a half one following. The reed has also been shaved. It's on either side then a more clean spot down the middle. Tried readjusting again and still can't get it right. I think it's gonna have to go for a trip to Altie unfortunately.
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Dont give up. keep trying. you'll thank me later.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 am

Vt~Vinci wrote:Alright, so I checked and the reed has had the tip bent up. Also the guts are at least slightly worn and I've ensured the reed lines up with the wear marks. When I align the reed tip with the end of the tone channel and ensure it doesn't scrub I get an odd cluck sound, it's not clean it almost sounds like one cluck with a half one following. The reed has also been shaved. It's on either side then a more clean spot down the middle. Tried readjusting again and still can't get it right. I think it's gonna have to go for a trip to Altie unfortunately.

Do you have a spare reed you can try the the call? Or, is the reed in the call the same shape on both ends? Most reeds are shaped differently on each end, but if yours is the same, you might try reversing the ends. In any case, if you send the call back for retuning, order a couple spare reeds. You never know when a reed might develop a bubble, though I've only had one which did, and it's nice to have a spare one handy.

Another option is to try some different guts in the call. if you have some available. You might find that you like different guts better than the ones the call maker used. The fact that the call maker chose to use a certain type of call guts in his call, doesn't mean it's the best choice for you. You may not have the air volume or skill level he has and need a different gut set to run the way you want it to run.

For example, just for "sh'ts and giggles", I replaced the KOD guts in my acrylic GVCC Triple X with some red Saunders guts last night. While the hedge Triple X I have still has the original KOD's and I like them, I like the Saunders guts better in the acrylic Triple X. Both calls run about the same now, in terms of ease of use.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Vt~Vinci » Wed May 02, 2012 7:54 am

Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up trying the reed from my pc1 and it didn't help at all but after spending a bunch of time frustratedly tweaking the reed and guts I think I may have finally hit gold. Haven't got to run it much yet but I think I have conquered the beast! Triple, any place in particular I can check out on the web for a good selection of guts and reeds to mess around with?
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 02, 2012 8:05 am

Vt~Vinci wrote:...after spending a bunch of time frustratedly tweaking the reed and guts I think I may have finally hit gold...

A tip that's greatly simplified goose call tuning for me is making the fine adjustments by lightly tapping the wedge or toneboard, as needed, with one end of the barrel, rather than trying to move one or the other in tiny increments with my fingers without going too far.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby tripleb » Wed May 02, 2012 8:25 am

Vt~Vinci wrote:Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up trying the reed from my pc1 and it didn't help at all but after spending a bunch of time frustratedly tweaking the reed and guts I think I may have finally hit gold. Haven't got to run it much yet but I think I have conquered the beast! Triple, any place in particular I can check out on the web for a good selection of guts and reeds to mess around with?

WEBFoot Custom Calls sell goose call guts for a very reasonable price. His customers favorites are usually indicated. His shipping is a little high if you buy just one set of guts though. Many of the call makers produce their own guts. Saunders, Zink, GK Calls, Lynchmob, are some examples. I've used Saunders, GK (Edge), Lynchmob (X factor) and KOD's. They will all work, though some work better in some calls than in others. Right now, I've got Saunders guts with the GVCC reed in my acrylic Triple X. It makes the easy to run Triple X even easier to run, since the tone channels are the same width, but the depth of the Saunders gut is .010" shallower. The end of the tone channel of the Saunders red guts and the KOD's used in the Triple X are virtually the same contour. And, I'm trying out the same combination, GVCC shape reed and Saunders red guts, in my Apostles. I have to use a nail board to lightly sand the wide end of the E3 reed to the proper GVCC profile, but the calls run smooth, easy and sound good in the Apostles. They did lose a little bit of the "high" end of the call, but gained on the lower end by the reed switch.

You might ask Lannom what other guts work in his call, other than the ones he likes to use. If you can't push as much air through the call as it needs with his guts, you may be able to do so with a different gut set. Be aware, though that most custom calls require a .618" gut set. Some guts are .625", for a larger insert bore. Make sure you know what your call needs before ordering.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Fri May 04, 2012 8:23 am

I think that you did the right this you kept at it till you figured it out. Being able to tune your own call is very important, helps you get the most out of that call for your style and for the way you hunt. I hate to have to depend on someone else to do most anything for me. Tuning just takes time, practice and some reeds, lol. I burned up a ton of mylar sanding, scraping, trimming but in the end all worth while.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum