Acrylic Short Reed Call for Beginner.

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Acrylic Short Reed Call for Beginner.

Postby Specklebelly16 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some recommendations for a short reed acrylic goose call. I am mainly a duck and specklebelly hunter. I don't generally get to see a lot of Canadas while hunting down here in the south, but I would like to learn how to call in preparation for some future hunts. I'd like do a good bit of traveling and honker shooting in the future.

I have alot of support media, calling demos, instructional cds, etc. to work with. I am just looking for a quality call. The call needs to be just a basic goose call that works well in many general situations. It doesn't have to be the absolute easiest call to learn on (I don't want to sacrafice realism for ease of use), I am looking more for a call that will sound great and last. I practice my duck and speck calling quite a bit, so I plan to do the same with my honker talk.

Zink, RNT, Foiles, Tim Grounds, Sean Mann??

I have heard good and bad things about all, just need a little direction.

Honker guys help me out.
Specklebelly16
Newb

Re: Acrylic Short Reed Call for Beginner.

Postby mayhem96 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:49 pm

Find one that YOU like. Tons of good ones out there.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Thu May 03, 2012 7:40 pm

I would try lynch mob calls slipknot easy to learn look them up give them a call great customer service they will walk you threw every.call if you want im telling you wont look back
mojo coot
hunter

Postby alloutwar13 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Out of the calls you mentioned I own a ZInks MM, Foiles MH, Sean Mann Shorty, and a Lynch Mob Slipknot and I gotta say I like the Lynch Mob the best. Its the easiest to use and really works fast. The others are all good calls and I do switch it up alot especially if Im hunting the same geese for a few weeks in the early season. I do recommend alot of practice and you should check out the DVDs from Molt Gear like Bad Grammar they are really helpful.
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote "I would rather get raped by a dude than have that happen to my d^&%"
alloutwar13
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri May 04, 2012 6:54 am

I would also recommend trying out a variety of calls, preferably ones which have been run long enough to start the break in process (about 1 hour, or a bit more). If the guts aren't broken in, the reed limbered up a bit, it will normally be a bit harder to run and run rougher. In other words, I'd try some of the calls used by your buddies, rather than ones on display in a store if given the chance.

I will say that while my C&S Apostles are my favorite calls, the C&S Prophet and Gander Valley Custom Calls Triple X are the two easiest calls I've ever run, which also sound good. The Apostle is a very easy to run call because it uses so little air and is fast, but it does require more talent in hand control than most beginners will be able to deliver. The other two calls mentioned are more forgiving in terms of required hand control and while they require a bit more air than the Apostle, they're still very easy to run. The Prophet is a deeper sounding call while the Triple X is higher pitched. Both calls cover the normal pitch range of a goose well, though.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Fri May 04, 2012 8:13 am

I have suggested it before and have got nothing but good reviews...The Powerhouse from Gander Valley Calls. This call has a great system set up that requires very little hand work to get a great natural goose sound. I like the fact it is a call you can grow into as well. It will not limit you once you get better at using a short reed. The part I lied the most was the way it fit your hands. My boys used this call and bad grammar and they are way ahead of their time. I wish it was that easy for me, back in the day.

The best part of this is Mark will give you some pointers over the phone and by email. He was and has been more then helpful to me, my family and clients over the years. Hard call to best with a guy that treats you like a long lost buddy.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby MNkid7 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:57 am

I would also take a look at big Sean's championship calls the big kahuna is suppose to be good for beginners because the way he built it it's suppose to have "built in back pressure". Like others have said go to a outdoor store and try them out before you make up your mind.
MNkid7
hunter

Postby Croteau » Wed May 16, 2012 6:45 pm

The big K from Big Sean is really easy to blow. Field Proven Matrix would be a great one to learn on too.
Croteau
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:22 am

Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu May 24, 2012 11:12 am

A derlin GK Giant Slayer is a pretty nice call and wont break the bank. Only $69. My personal fav is my GK Canuck in Acrylic. Its a shorter call though and will require more advanced hands, but the range of sound is amazing.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:25 am

I learned to use a short reed with a Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II. It came with a dvd, a cd, and an electronic calling coach. It cost me $20. I had used a flute for 11 years when I picked this up. It took me a month to figure it out. It was the closest I have felt like crying in years haha.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sat May 26, 2012 5:37 pm

I would recommend the zink lm-1, (little man) this call takes almost no air to blow and is the fastest call I own. It can also get surprisingly low.
The only down side to this call is the big bell end. It doesn't bother me because I have big hands... :wink:
But I have heard from others that they don't like it. But, with proper hand positioning the bell end gives you a huge range of tones and pitches. IMO
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum