RNT Mongoose

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

RNT Mongoose

Postby TNAL45 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:38 am

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to run one yet, and if it is in fact an improvement over the G3.
cannon wrote:Rules, in general, are bad for me. Left to my own resources, I'm a fairly responsible citizen. Once rules are in place, I have an insatiable desire to break them repeatedly. It's a sickness.
TNAL45
hunter

Re: RNT Mongoose

Postby mayhem96 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:11 pm

I don't even now if they have released it to the public. Saw it on the FB page and the Refuge. I heard they were working on some BIG's....maybe, just maybe.....
mayhem96
hunter

RNT Mongoose

Postby TNAL45 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:12 pm

mayhem96 wrote:I don't even now if they have released it to the public. Saw it on the FB page and the Refuge. I heard they were working on some BIG's....maybe, just maybe.....

Check ye auction site...
cannon wrote:Rules, in general, are bad for me. Left to my own resources, I'm a fairly responsible citizen. Once rules are in place, I have an insatiable desire to break them repeatedly. It's a sickness.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun May 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Had I known that the release was this close, or had they had some tuned calls in the shop I've given one a run.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:33 am

I have a Warbird coming. Hopefully it lives up to my expectations with BIGs and new design.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby huntandride » Wed May 30, 2012 10:40 pm

Is there a reason that the warbird and mongoose arent on rnt's site at all yet?
huntandride
hunter

RNT Mongoose

Postby TNAL45 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:46 pm

huntandride wrote:Is there a reason that the warbird and mongoose arent on rnt's site at all yet?

Yes. RNT makes good calls, but sucks at logistics.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:05 am

huntandride wrote:Is there a reason that the warbird and mongoose arent on rnt's site at all yet?

Even when I called the shop they told me to try a retailer or eBay first and they wouldn't be selling directly from the shop until the end of June.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu May 31, 2012 9:57 pm

They're filling inventory for their dealer network. You can't blame them for supporting their dealers.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:39 am

ByersFarm wrote:They're filling inventory for their dealer network. You can't blame them for supporting their dealers.

True. Here is my review I wrote for the Warbird:

This is a great goose call. The BIGs are a nice addition. Very goosey, quick and has a good range. Need to tune it a little stiffer for my air presentation. Overall I would reccomend this new goose call. Next I will get the Mongoose which based on the Warbird will truly be BIG Goose because the low end on the Warbird is outstanding. The bell shaped end works out great. It fits my hand position great and it isnt' annoying like the Money maker.

For those who have RNT G3s this is a great addition. Alot different in size and sound.

Well done RNT!
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Hey guys, wanted to bump this back to the top of the board. I'm hoping to get into chasing dark geese this year and want a good call that I can grow into but not grow out of. Not looking for a starter call. I'm a relatively decent duck caller, a quick study and willing to put in the time it takes to practice. I'm interested in the Mongoose but haven't found much in the way of reviews on it. Has anybody gotten a chance to put in some time on one that can give me some thorough feedback? Thanks in advance.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Don't know if you've seen this clip they posted yesterday(?) or not, but it might be helpful:

Was surprised that the longer Mongoose seems more of a little Canada call (to my uneducated ear) than the Warbird, at least in that short clip.

(Didn't hear anything that would draw me away from my XXX or Dirty Bird for our Richardsons, but I've not had either of the new offerings in hand...)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:21 pm

Saw it on RNT-V the other day. Yea like Rick said, I was surprised with the longer one being more "goosey". I do have to admit, I like the look of them BIG's :thumbsup: Someone post up a soundfile soon :grooving:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Don't know if you've seen this clip they posted yesterday(?) or not, but it might be helpful:

Was surprised that the longer Mongoose seems more of a little Canada call (to my uneducated ear) than the Warbird, at least in that short clip.

(Didn't hear anything that would draw me away from my XXX or Dirty Bird for our Richardsons, but I've not had either of the new offerings in hand...)

Rick - I appreciate the observation. I think the lessers are what I'll most likely be running into. I've already got a good speck call from when I hunted the Eagle Lake area, but I need a good Can call. I did see the clip you posted on RNT-V the other day, but that's pretty much the extent of "official" information that I've found. Thanks again.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:29 am

Rick Hall wrote:Don't know if you've seen this clip they posted yesterday(?) or not, but it might be helpful:

I have a Warbird and based on what I heard as well the Mongoose sounds alot better. I think the constricted bore on the Mongoose pairs up better with the Bigs. The bore on the Warbird is so large that it takes some air to blow it.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:34 am

DMBgoosehunter13 wrote:Was surprised that the longer Mongoose seems more of a little Canada call (to my uneducated ear) than the Warbird, at least in that short clip.

I have a Warbird and based on what I heard as well the Mongoose sounds alot better. I think the constricted bore on the Mongoose pairs up better with the Bigs. The bore on the Warbird is so large that it takes some air to blow it.[/quote]

DMB - When you say "Bigs," are you referencing the Broke-In-Guts (BIGs) or the Big Canadas (as opposed to the lessers)? I'm looking at these to work lessers most likely, but don't want something that has limitations to versatility, range, etc.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby TNAL45 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:13 am

CutEm214 wrote:
DMBgoosehunter13 wrote:Was surprised that the longer Mongoose seems more of a little Canada call (to my uneducated ear) than the Warbird, at least in that short clip.

I have a Warbird and based on what I heard as well the Mongoose sounds alot better. I think the constricted bore on the Mongoose pairs up better with the Bigs. The bore on the Warbird is so large that it takes some air to blow it.

DMB - When you say "Bigs," are you referencing the Broke-In-Guts (BIGs) or the Big Canadas (as opposed to the lessers)? I'm looking at these to work lessers most likely, but don't want something that has limitations to versatility, range, etc.[/quote]

I'm 99% sure he means BIGs as in Broke-In-Guts.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:44 am

BIGs Broke-in-Guts.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby the cashman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:28 am

I heard a rumor that the gut mold broke. Not sure if that's true or not, but if it is, might be waiting a while for those calls!
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Sent RNT customer service an email yesterday requesting a breakdown of the differences between the Mongoose and Warbird or even a more detailed description of the two. I received a forwarded email that Shawn Stahl had sent to someone else last week with a link to the short clip posted above and a clip about running short reed goose calls. :no: Should I read this as them keeping these details close to the vest or bad customer service on RNT's part?
CutEm214
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:04 pm

CutEm214 wrote:Sent RNT customer service an email yesterday requesting a breakdown of the differences between the Mongoose and Warbird or even a more detailed description of the two. I received a forwarded email that Shawn Stahl had sent to someone else last week with a link to the short clip posted above and a clip about running short reed goose calls. :no: Should I read this as them keeping these details close to the vest or bad customer service on RNT's part?

They are duck guys, Shawn is their goose guy. Nothing to read into other than that they are always going to defer to his info when fielding questions about goose calls.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:10 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
CutEm214 wrote:Sent RNT customer service an email yesterday requesting a breakdown of the differences between the Mongoose and Warbird or even a more detailed description of the two. I received a forwarded email that Shawn Stahl had sent to someone else last week with a link to the short clip posted above and a clip about running short reed goose calls. :no: Should I read this as them keeping these details close to the vest or bad customer service on RNT's part?

They are duck guys, Shawn is their goose guy. Nothing to read into other than that they are always going to refer to his info when field questions about goose calls.

Trevor - I get that, but the rub isn't that they forwarded me a "non-specific" response, but that the response wasn't helpful nor was it what I asked for. The consensus on these two calls among forum members seems to be different from person to person as to what they are and what each is best suited for. I was hoping that going directly to the source would sort me out, especially if I'm going to drop $160 on a goose call...
CutEm214
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Cutem instead of spending it on rnt go somewhere else, like Trevor said they are duck guys, there are a dozen top of the line goose calls and goose call companies, in my opinion rnt is not one, I have blown the g2 , G3 and the warbird and have not liked any of them. To me there is no depth in the tone, no layers. it sounds like I'm blowing a call not putting feelin into it and expressing emotion. And 160 can go a long way to a great call.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Tipsntails7 wrote:Cutem instead of spending it on rnt go somewhere else, like Trevor said they are duck guys, there are a dozen top of the line goose calls and goose call companies, in my opinion rnt is not one, I have blown the g2 , G3 and the warbird and have not liked any of them. To me there is no depth in the tone, no layers. it sounds like I'm blowing a call not putting feelin into it and expressing emotion. And 160 can go a long way to a great call.

Tips - I'm mesmerized by the BIGs... :lol: I appreciate the recommendation, it looks like I'm going to have to give it some consideration the way this is going...
CutEm214
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:25 pm

I suspect that since the video addresses the differences, whoever fielded your e-mail thought forwarding its link would answer your questions. Don't know what sort of additional details you expected, but do know Shawn's a good guy who'll probably be happy to answer in greater detail if you contact him personally (shawn@rntcalls.com or by phone) with your specific questions.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Next

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum