Duck Hunting Forum banner

speck call

8K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Klondike 
#1 ·
whats a good speck call. I'm not real experienced on a speck call but want to get a decent want. i have a haydels now and killed a few specks over it last year but don't really like it would like to get something a little better quality thats forgiving to learn on. I'm a real big fan of echo duck calls but don't have a clue about speck calls thanks in advance

#2 ·
I don't know which Haydel you're dissatisfied with, but their calls have helped kill a mess of specks, and the SP-04 is one of my two picks for effective, easy to run, inexpensive speck calls. RNT's Quackhead series poly speck call is the other.

That said, I've come to think my big-gutted Riceland may be a bit more "forgiving," than the RNT I've been running years longer, and it and the similarly big-gutted Redbone are the two current darlings of competitive speck calling. In addition to wood and acrylic, Riceland has a less expensive poly model for $65 that the boys are mighty proud of.

Anyway, I run a hedge Riceland and an acrylic RNT with a lighter than stock reed to get two very different tone and volume ranges, and you'll probably see several other personal favorites suggested, but I'm afraid the bottom line with any call is always going to be that the best fit for any one of us may not be for the next man. Just no way to really know what's "best" for you without trying a mess of them.

#5 ·
That's their "compensator speck" which I've zero experience with, other than to note that most everything in life that supposedly compensates does so poorly. I'd want another call and to learn to use my hands for proper back pressure.

#8 ·
Listen guys if Mr Rick Hall or QuackerWhacker AKA speckleberry speak of the Bar Belly listen closely my friends! These gentleman know there stuff in regards to specks! If I could hunt with anyone to learn specks it would be with Mr Rick and Mr Mic. I have only been hunting specks for a couple of years, but because of an understanding wife and a good job I have been able to get under several specks from Saskachawan to Louisiana. I would not have enjoyed the success that I have without 1)Asking both these men questions, and LISTENING to them.(Always the hard part for us youngsters). 2) Researching there post on this forum and on several other websites. It should be noted that I have never hunted with either, bt both are always more than willing to help.

#10 ·
Thank for the replies so far guys. Went to town today to try some calls and nobody had any. So I guess I'll just half to order one and hope for the best. Still don't know what one to get. I've blown the haydels of my buddies and like it a lot better than mine. I'm kinda leaning toward the riceland poly bc of all the reviews I've read I haven't read one bad one on any of the ricelands. What are some of yalls other recommendations on some good calls for a beginner under$100 the only speck calls I've blown are the 2 haydels thanks

#12 ·
mgerlach said:
i personally run a redbone and have never tried a riceland. but as crazy as it may sound, with some practice flextones predator call can make some really good speck sounds and there only like 12 bucks.
That's not crazy at all, as most hunters probably still use "speck" calls that were originally marketed as "predator" calls or close replications thereof. Olt predator calls may well have been the first really good speck calls and a huge step up from the Faulks with metal squeak toy reeds. And the "predator" connection was so strong that when Olt tried to market the same call with a different colored insert and "specklebelly" stamped on the barrel many argued loud and long that the Olt "speck" call wasn't as good as their "predator" call. One of the names that's bound to pop up on speck call threads is the venerable Chien Caille - originally an Olt predator call a fellow with that nick name (meaning "spotted dog") put a thicker, louder homemade reed in and which his friend, Mervis Saltzman, made the next big name in speck calls. The original Olt and its CC variation little doubt remain the most popular speck calls here in Southwest Louisiana, with the latest popular twist on that Olt predator call being home-cobbled reeds made of Haydel DR-85 top reeds.

On a personal note, while also auditioning every "speck" call I could get my hands on, I did most of my speck calling with a $3 clearance sale Thomas predator call until infirmity forced its retirement after 18 seasons:

And I'll make no bones about favoring the RNT because its working dimensions so closely resemble, or duplicate(?), my favorite predator calls. When one of the first poly RNT speck calls came my way, the two "more advanced" and acrylic, then-current darlings of the speck calling world that I was then using went in the classifieds before that inexpensive poly's first season afield ended.

#13 ·
quack-n-stack, the vote of confidence is appreciated if not particularly deserved. Would like to think mine is far from the last word in speck calling and hope I've still much to learn. Know there are a guys whose blinds I'd sure like to quietly hide in a corner of just watching and listening.

Have just found calling specks such an interesting, and frustrating, puzzle that trying to figure it out has become a passion I can get pretty windy over.

#18 ·
Jerrod Denton said:
He sounds awesome on that rnt it's hard to make a decision on what to get
I have been lucky enough to do alot of hunting with Jason, it doesnt matter what call he is on it just sounds plain awesome. I personally am running a hedge Riceland and RNT speck, which seem to work really well together. The Riceland, though is my main call that i like to use. At first it is a little different from running small bore calls, but once ya get the hang of it, it sounds awesome. If ya dont want to spend the money on a riceland acrylic or wood, go with the poly. The poly has a small metal sleeve in the insert right below the tone board that makes it sound almost the same as an acrylic and it plain rocks!!! I am by no means an expert at calling like Jason or Mr. Rick Hall(from what i have heard around), but thought i would put in my two cents.

#22 ·
Jerrod, I'm sorry I let this get past me. All I'd suggest at this point is working on really getting simple two and three note series and a bit of ground clucking absolutely down pat. Don't worry about doing fancy contest type riffs, just nail the basics a single speck or two will do so well that you'll not be hesitant to use them in the field.

#24 ·
i'm sure nathan write is the same way, but i REALLY like my red-bone.. its not something you can pick up out of the box and be great at, (probably not even good at) but when you learn to run it, it is possible to really make it sing.. and the dvd and cd are a big plus.

#26 ·
In my opinion Nathan Wright is the best in the world hands down. As stated above,if you actually take the time to utilize the cd and dvd that comes with the call,your chances of achieving good results are very good. It is not easy,it takes hours of practice,and it is not for everyone. One big advantage if you are a novice,you won't have to unlearn many years of bad habits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.