Length of a short reed Goose call Barrel

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Length of a short reed Goose call Barrel

Postby Flon18 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:11 pm

A few years ago I bought the guts to a short reed goose call and and now getting around to it. I am planning on turning the barrel. The Guts are 3/4 of an inch wide. How long should the barrel be. Im sure there are a lot of factors to this but what would be a good length to start. thanks
Flon18
Newb

Re: Length of a short reed Goose call Barrel

Postby tripleb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:56 am

Flon18 wrote:A few years ago I bought the guts to a short reed goose call and and now getting around to it. I am planning on turning the barrel. The Guts are 3/4 of an inch wide. How long should the barrel be. Im sure there are a lot of factors to this but what would be a good length to start. thanks

What kind of guts are you using? And, are you planning on making a higher pitched call or a lower pitched call? Usually, a longer barrel is used for a call which the maker wants to be capable of lower pitched notes, though I have seen calls with short barrels and longer inserts, which can do the same. Also, think of the Grounds series of calls. Small changes in barrel length, insert length and bore ID can make a difference in how the call sounds and/or runs.

Most guts are for either a .618" or a .625" insert tenon bore. The 3/4" measurement sounds off, though I know there are other sizes marketed.
tripleb
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum