Responsive Goose Call Help?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Responsive Goose Call Help?

Postby bigstump56 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:04 pm

I am looking to get more into goose hunting this up coming season and I'm trying to find me a good responsive call. I currently have a Ducklander Lowlife in burnt hedge/acrylic and it does the longer deeper sounds well but isn't as quick or responsive as I'd like. I'd like to get some feedback on what you guys like and don't like. I'm open to about anything, rnt, lmc, zink, grounds or anything else. Thanks in advance any feedback is appreciated.
bigstump56
hunter

Re: Responsive Goose Call Help?

Postby fowlboy14 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Field Proven Matrix
fowlboy14
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:13 am

I'm not familiar with that call, so I don't know whether it's a longer call or a shorter call. But, usually it's easier to set up a short call to be fast and require little air ..... of course, conditioned on the guts you use and how you tune it. Perhaps, getting it retuned can help and the call maker can do that for you if you ask him. Also, some guts are just easier to run fast. For example GK Edge guts have a tone channel on the narrow side. KOD's have a tone channel which is wider and deeper. The KOD's will often be able to give the call a better "big goose" sound, but at the cost of requiring more air to run and being slower to run. The Edge E3 guts allow you to use the narrow end of the reed, which will give a better low end than the wide end ..... starting out. The narrow end will dip deeper into the tone channel from early on in the break in process. Eventually, the wide end will do the same, but it will take a long time to wear the guts in with the wider reed.

The first thing I'd do is contact the call maker, tell him your issues and see if he would recommend making some changes in tuning .... and perhaps, send it back to him to have it done. That would be the cheapest solution to your problem if it's feasible.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:35 am

I suggest a PCS or XXX from Gander Valley Calls. Both of these calls drive excellent they have killer top end crack and are very easy to run. I have run a ton of calls over the years ans these two are stand outs! Give the owner a shout and ask him to run both for you so you can hear what I'm talking about. He offers the best service in the business, fair price and the best goose calls in my opinion.
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Postby fowlboy14 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:15 am

I second the notion about the G.V.C.C I have every call they make and I love the sound of them.
fowlboy14
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:54 pm

X3 on GVCC. I currently have the pcs and am Working on gettin the xxx and powerhouse. They are the best looking, sounding and easiest to blow IMO.
But also another call that is crazy responsive is the lMC reaper. It's a tiny little call that screams. It's the fastest call I own. Takes very little air. (I have it for sale in the classifieds)
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby bigstump56 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:52 pm

As of now I'm leaning towards the Gander Valley XXX. But ive also heard a lot of good things about the Field Proven Matrix. Any more specific pros or cons on these two, one over the other, or any other suggestions? Thanks again for all the feedback.
bigstump56
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:22 pm

I've never ran a matrix but one thing some people don't like on field proven and zink calls is that they have a flared insert compared to most other calls. The bell end doesn't bother me because I Have big hands, but some say it's uncomfortable. Also the bell end will give you a lot more tones and pitches with proper hand placement.
GVCCs are very comfortable IMO
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby bigstump56 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:51 am

Anybody have an opinion good or bad on a Foiles Strait Meat Honker in acrylic?
bigstump56
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 am

I used to use the SMH way back when and it was a good call, but to be honest you will much prefer the PCS or XXX from Gander Valley, at least I did. It has a better in hand feel, easier to get more variation out of and the best part is the calls at GVCC are a better value. That and if you call the shop for help or question you will actually speak with the guy tuning your calls. :beer:
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Postby fowlboy14 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:38 am

Marks a really great guy, he will even tune your call for you on the phone so you know exactly what your getting :D. He also has no problem giving some calling instructions over the phone for some of you less experienced callers.
fowlboy14
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:43 am

I've not run the SMH you're now asking about, but suppose I may as well add another voice to the GVC choir your hearing. I currently also own a Saunder's Traffic, GK Canuck, Heartland Pipsqueak and RNT Dirty Bird, but a Gander Valley XXX is the Canada call I find myself picking up most often.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:06 am

bigstump56 wrote:As of now I'm leaning towards the Gander Valley XXX. But ive also heard a lot of good things about the Field Proven Matrix. Any more specific pros or cons on these two, one over the other, or any other suggestions? Thanks again for all the feedback.

I have two GVCC Triple X's ... one in acrylic and the other in hedge. They're very nice calls and don't use a lot of air. They're not the fastest calls around, but they do have a very good sound and can be run fast enough to be effective on geese. I've never tried the Matrix, so I don't know how the two compare.
tripleb
hunter

Postby diesel79 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:29 am

I myself like the GK Canuck more than anything else I have tried thus far.
diesel79
hunter

Postby alloutwar13 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:59 am

Anything with Lynch Mob guts. I have a Slipknot and a Banded Crazy Train both have the same guts and work awesome.
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote "I would rather get raped by a dude than have that happen to my d^&%"
alloutwar13
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:43 pm

I used to run a few different shorter calls in the field. I like to have speed and volume on hand, the shorter calls seem to offer this better. I ran a canuck and traffic for quite awhile to fill this spot. Then I got a XXX from Mark at Gander Valley and I sold those calls in short order. I get more volume and just as much speed with a lot better real goose sound and tone. I also get better low end, murmurs and moans are as deep as some of my longer calls. The XXX for me has been the best call I have ran to date...It was like it was made for me.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby bigstump56 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:57 pm

How about a Gander Valley Powerhouse? I know its not the same short reed like the XXX but I thought it might be a good addition for my canada hunting....
bigstump56
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:25 pm

I have a Powerhouse, PCS, and XXX. The Powerhouse is a real nice call and it's the call that I learned on, but I find that it takes a bit more air than the XXX to run and isn't quite as quick. At least the way my calls are set up. Have you considered a Hybrid? It's a Powerhouse insert with a PCS barrel. IMO, with the shorter barrel it's a bit quicker, but it still has that nice, deeper goose if that's what you're looking for. Also with the longer insert, you don't have to be quite so precise with your hands like you do with a call with a short insert. Definitely give Mark a call and let him know what you're looking for. He can tune a call up the way you want it.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby bigstump56 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Outdoor Gal wrote:I have a Powerhouse, PCS, and XXX. The Powerhouse is a real nice call and it's the call that I learned on, but I find that it takes a bit more air than the XXX to run and isn't quite as quick. At least the way my calls are set up. Have you considered a Hybrid? It's a Powerhouse insert with a PCS barrel. IMO, with the shorter barrel it's a bit quicker, but it still has that nice, deeper goose if that's what you're looking for. Also with the longer insert, you don't have to be quite so precise with your hands like you do with a call with a short insert. Definitely give Mark a call and let him know what you're looking for. He can tune a call up the way you want it.

Well I just got what I consider to be a pretty good deal on a used Powerhouse and I'm going to give it a try for now. I'm still planning to call Mark and get a XXX in the coming weeks. I've heard nothing but good about Gander Valley and they're priced right so I don't mind getting a few.
bigstump56
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:54 pm

bigstump56 wrote:
Outdoor Gal wrote:I have a Powerhouse, PCS, and XXX. The Powerhouse is a real nice call and it's the call that I learned on, but I find that it takes a bit more air than the XXX to run and isn't quite as quick. At least the way my calls are set up. Have you considered a Hybrid? It's a Powerhouse insert with a PCS barrel. IMO, with the shorter barrel it's a bit quicker, but it still has that nice, deeper goose if that's what you're looking for. Also with the longer insert, you don't have to be quite so precise with your hands like you do with a call with a short insert. Definitely give Mark a call and let him know what you're looking for. He can tune a call up the way you want it.

Well I just got what I consider to be a pretty good deal on a used Powerhouse and I'm going to give it a try for now. I'm still planning to call Mark and get a XXX in the coming weeks. I've heard nothing but good about Gander Valley and they're priced right so I don't mind getting a few.

You just got that powerhouse for $65 didn't you...... If I would've seen that before it was sold I would've bought it Right then and there.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:06 pm

I saw that in the classifieds too. Great deal! You should like it. :thumbsup:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum