Beginning calling

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Beginning calling

Postby VAgooser » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Hey all, I'm looking for any tips you can give a beginning caller. i'm having trouble finding any definitive help on line on calling, though I have some guys that can help me out (probably not before early season though)

Also, what can i get for cheap calls that sound good. So far I've bought three short reeds (Buck Gardner Goose Hammer, Primos Honky Tonk, and RNT Goozilla) and have been doing well with clucks (still havent figured out the moan yet or the feeding chuckles, mainly because i can't get a low enough note out of the Primos or RNT (havent gotten the buck gardner yet)). Still trying to figure out cadence to the calling and the strings of notes to use at different distances or whatever. Honks and clucks will work to begin with, where to next?

ty
VAgooser
hunter

Re: Beginning calling

Postby VAgooser » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:25 pm

oh, also i have an Illusion goose flute, sounds great but extremely difficult to work with for a beginner like me!!
VAgooser
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Va. buy you a copy of Bad Grammer..... That will put you ahead of the calling game. :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby noweil » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:25 pm

You have 4 calls to practice with. Buy the Bad Grammar dvd and start practicing. To blow the illusion flute, cover the hole in the side of the call with tape. Use your hands for back pressure.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby VAgooser » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:58 am

the general consensus is that i should get bad grammar! haha thanks guys
VAgooser
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:14 am

VAgooser wrote:the general consensus is that i should get bad grammar! haha thanks guys

Yup, I've not owned your other calls but know the Goosezilla will moan like a... Well, let's just say it can do a lot more than you at this point. Bad Grammer should get you up and rolling on the calls you already own.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:36 am

Tend to lean toward Buck Gardner calls myself,both duck & Goose. Agreed, it take lots of practice ,plus call break in..... A copy of Bad Grammer will give you the "how too make" all the sounds of a Canada Goose! Good Luck :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
VAgooser wrote:the general consensus is that i should get bad grammar! haha thanks guys

Yup, I've not owned your other calls but know the Goosezilla will moan like a... WILDEBEAST Well, let's just say it can do a lot more than you at this point. Bad Grammer should get you up and rolling on the calls you already own.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum