New to Short Reeds

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

New to Short Reeds

Postby dukkiller2012 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Hey guys. This last season my buddy finally got me switched from a flute call to a short reed. I like the fact that I can do a much larger variety of calls with it, but I miss the volume control I had with a flute. Do you guys know is there any short reeds out there that require little back pressure so you can tone it down a bit or is loudness just part of the package?
dukkiller2012
hunter

Re: New to Short Reeds

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:04 pm

I use and swear by Winglock Calls.
I have one of these Delrin calls...and some acrylics. This has mellow tones, great low end..and needs very little back pressure.
This call still has enough get up and go..to reach out there.

http://www.winglockcalls.com/goose_calls/delrin_sr.htm

Even the Longneck is a great call. A hybrid cross from flute and short reed. I have a hedge one and love it. Again, requires very little back pressure.

http://www.winglockcalls.com/goose_call ... ong_sr.htm
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby fsulaxer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Check out the Strait Meat honker from Foiles its one of the smoothest calls on the market the crew offers great customer service. call the shop as for drew 186683geese they will hook you up. The require very little back pressure and super easy to blow
Adam Sultenfuss
Foiles Migrators
Centreville Md
fsulaxer
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:56 am

Look into the POwerhouse by Gander Valley, this call is the easiest running short reed we have found. My boys had tried quite a few calls over the summer a few seasons back and the Powerhouse was the one that really helped them get it. The nice thing is you will not out grow this call, I love mine and I have been on a short reed for many years. It has a nice deep tone and fat murmurs. Yet it still retains the ability to provide outstanding range and nice crack to the notes. The design requires very little hand pressure and it can get low and soft real easy.
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum