GK "OTE" guts

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

GK "OTE" guts

Postby Bigdawg22 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:43 pm

Got to try the new guts this weekend. Hands down the best broke-in guts on the market. They are easy to tune and sound amazing. For $20 a set they are hard to beat!
Bigdawg22
hunter

Re: GK "OTE" guts

Postby moneymaker » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:54 am

What makes them any better then the others out there?
knockemdeadd wrote:how could i put a pricetag on memories made with my son
So can i hunt with you now since i used a qoute from you?hahahahaha
moneymaker
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:39 am

moneymaker wrote:What makes them any better then the others out there?

That's like asking what's your favorite food? :hammer: How about try them? They are good guts. Great low end without sacraficing the high end. Best guts I have tried for BIGs yet. Haven't got my Molt Gear EX3 yet though to try his.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:11 pm

Just ordered mine today and they will be thrown into the Canuck :grooving:
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby the cashman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Big fan of these guts. I do prefer triple crowns, but shelling out 50bucks for a set of guts is a touch on the insane side. I like the volume they offer and think they might even be easier to tune than plain jane EDGE guts. They might run a touch heavy, but I'll agree that for twenty bucks, they're tough to beat. :thumbsup:
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Postby moneymaker » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:49 pm

So how about a sound file compared to other guts?Anybody up for it?
moneymaker
hunter

Postby the cashman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:53 pm

moneymaker wrote:So how about a sound file compared to other guts?Anybody up for it?

Man I wouldn't place too much faith in a sound file. Everyone is different, the tuning could be different, the air presentation, how tight the top and bottom end are, just way too many other things to consider that a sound file won't give you. Best thing you could do is just get em. For twenty dollars it's well worth it, and if you don't like them, throw em in a buddies call for 15. It's a great gut, definitely better than the old orange gk bigs and IMHO one of the top three or four guts out there! :beer:

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Postby moneymaker » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:59 pm

beg to differ,If them guts are better then any other gut out there then all the boys swearing by them should be able to prove what they can do,If not then i would have to say they dont have alot of call control and just any gut is just fine for them.
moneymaker
hunter

Postby the cashman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:54 am

moneymaker wrote:beg to differ,If them guts are better then any other gut out there then all the boys swearing by them should be able to prove what they can do,If not then i would have to say they dont have alot of call control and just any gut is just fine for them.

Yeah but that's exactly the point... That's what THEY can do with it, not you. You know certain calls just "fit" some guys better, same can be said for guts. The way the air is presented, the amount of air required to run, the ease of tuning, all those are things that you can't get from a sound file. I mean these things were molded from Wades gut man, you know they'll be able to do all the things needed to say, I don't know, win the world championship? And as for just any gut being fine for the average joe, alright to a point, but everyone of my buddies calls has a gut different from their stock gut because we'll st down, open the case, and swap guts and reeds until they find something they like the best. Sure they can't command a call that well, but they do improve almost instantly when they get a gut change. It's like a golfer getting his clubs custom fit... You might not think it'll make a difference but it absolutely does.

Team J.Mc All-Stars

the cashman
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:57 am

I just put these guts in my GK Giant Killer and the call takes half the amount of air to blow now and I can still get low and high. Definitly a big thumbs up to GK on these guts. :thumbsup:
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby Bigdawg22 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:27 pm

The reason I feel these guts are so good is because they are so easy to blow. They don't lose air like most other guts on the market. I've had 10 or so people try them in both a Canuck and a Giant Slayer and all have said the same thing. They take very little air to run but still sound good when you to push a lot of air into them. The other thing I like is I can run a full reed in them. Any other gut I prefer a shaved reed.
Bigdawg22
hunter

Postby Twisp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Wade Walling just posted a soundfile over on The Fuge. Ain't no way a goose call or caller can sound that sublime without nefarious aid, which is why I'll be lobbying Congress to start drug testing all comp callers on the big events. Just not fair to the guys too virtuous to use larynx growth enhancements or gilded tongue treatments. That said, you can be sure that some OTEs are in this old dudes future.
Twisp
hunter

Postby btharp2624 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Will these fit in a C&S apostle?
btharp2624
hunter

Postby the cashman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:18 pm

The gut is molded a little larger than a sub 5/8th bore, but isn't really snug in a 5/8ths bore either without a piece of tape. Not sure what I've bore that particular call is though...

Team J.Mc All-Stars

the cashman
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:27 am

btharp2624 wrote:Will these fit in a C&S apostle?

It should. Measure the tenon bore ID. If it's around .618", you should be fine with the new guts, though you may have to sand the top of the wedge to get the fit you want. If it's closer to .625" then you may have to shim them with a piece of tape.

I believe Mike made a switch from using .625" guts about 2 years ago. Calls purchased from him within the last year or so, ought to be using the .618" guts.
tripleb
hunter

Postby erp10 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Just got my OTE guts last friday. I put them in my Canuck and love them. You guys are right they do take little air to run. They were worth the money :thumbsup:
erp10
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:51 pm

Sent a LG to factory to have them install these guts. They are easy to blow as being forgiving and tey do take less air than the origionals.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 am

Last Comp Slayer I got came with the OTE's stock.I will say they are a great gut set,in my opinion head and shoulders above the newer WW2 green guts.
OTE's offer better control,easier to tune if need be,remind me alot of the older orange first run BIG's they came out with years ago.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum