Little help please!

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Little help please!

Postby grizz18 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 am

I'm relatively new to the goose game, but have quickly become addicted to it. Still love the ducks more, but goose hunting (Canada geese) is something I want to get better at.

I want to learn to call. I have a POS call, and I can make some sounds but I know its nothing the geese want to hear. If you could recommend 1 call and 1 instructional (preferably DVD) what would it be?

I don't want to drop more than $50 on my first decent goose call. Is that reasonable? Are there any good youtubes that anyone knows of? I have a CD for duck calling, but I'm much more of a visual learner and would rather a DVD or movie of some sort.

Thanks in advance for any help. :thumbsup:
grizz18
Squatch Life

Re: Little help please!

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:52 am

Buy the Bad Grammar DVD and/or CD and buy a Grounds Poly Super Mag.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:14 am

tornadochaser wrote:Buy the Bad Grammar DVD and/or CD and buy a Grounds Poly Super Mag.

Thanks man! Whats the difference in the regular poly super mag and custom? Besides $30? :lol3:

Any other opinions out there?
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:22 am

Zinks poly pc1 combo with the waterfowl university DVD is great. It's a great call to learn on.
Also field proven is breaking down their adrenaline video and uploading it to YouTube in 20 parts. So far I think they've uploaded about 10 of them. You should check it out.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks shoot.

So...whatcha guy think?

The Zink w/ CD is ~$30.

The Tim Grounds is $30, then $19 for the DVD. Is it worth the price difference. Realistically will I know a difference since I'm just getting started?
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:16 pm

I wouldn't want to hazard a guess at which call, in any price range, might best suit another individual, but Bad Grammar is probably going to be hard to beat as an instructional DVD.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:51 pm

I've been googling around at the Grounds Super Mag. Why are most $130+, and then some $60, and then the orange one $30??

What one were talking about tornado?
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:30 pm

grizz18 wrote:I've been googling around at the Grounds Super Mag. Why are most $130+, and then some $60, and then the orange one $30??

The acrylic ones are the expensive ones. Poly is cheap.
Honestly if your going to get serious I would just go ahead and buy an acrylic. It sounds a lot better and will last a lifetime. Poly calls break if you drop them wrong.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:58 am

Bad grammar is a nice learning tool, Scott does a good job.
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:39 pm

the gk slayer in delrin is a nice call for a good one too. Its better if you can get it with the orange BIGS or the the OTE's
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:52 am

Huntfish12 wrote:the gk slayer in delrin is a nice call for a good one too. Its better if you can get it with the orange BIGS or the the OTE's

Yeah, like someone who stated they're new at goose hunting and doesen't know why one call is 30.00 and one is 130.00 is going to have a clue what your talking about. :no:

Those are guts for the call, Grizz, and that's the last thing you need to worry about with your first goose call.

Like people have said, the Bad Grammer DVD is the one to get and the Zink calls take a lot less air pressure to break over (easier to blow), than the Grounds calls, from my experience at least.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:46 am

shootable Goose wrote:
grizz18 wrote:I've been googling around at the Grounds Super Mag. Why are most $130+, and then some $60, and then the orange one $30??

Honestly if your going to get serious I would just go ahead and buy an acrylic. It sounds a lot better and will last a lifetime. Poly calls break if you drop them wrong.

Acrylic might sound better to YOUR EARS, and is why most contests are won using an acrylic call. I said most, because there have been some major contests won with poly calls. Contest judges are human and the human ear just seems to like a sharper, more intense sounding goose call. Have you EVER heard a goose sound like an acrylic call making sounds on a contest stage? Run three of the exact same calls out in a field in an actual HUNTING situation, one acrylic, one delrin and one poly and walk off from the calls about 50-100 yards. Do you think you or the geese will be able to hear the difference? I would bet dollars to doughnuts you...or the geese wouldn't know the dif. The acrylic up close (and especially indoors or in an enclosed environment) might have a little more crack to the sharper notes, while the delrin will have, imo, a more natural, slightly more mellow sound to it, and the poly will have a blend of both. The deciding factor to all this though is how the calls are tuned. My Delrin Gen II slayer has way more high end crack to it than my acrylic calls because that's the way I have them tuned and what guts I run. I aslo don't recommend BIGs to a new caller. A new set of guts with a full reed will give you the best base for becomming a better caller than trying to force yourself to use somebody else's broke in guts and if you like the call, you can always break them in yourself. :thumbsup:

You have also apparently never dopped an acrylic call on a hard surface before have you?! :eek: Drop a poly call and an acrylic call on a hard surface on a COLD morning. I will almost guaranty you the acrylic will shatter while the poly might crack, if it doesn't bounce and a delrin call will quite likely not even develope a scuff. Acrylic is brittle by nature and is considered more durable simply because of its hardness when compared to other call materials. This is untrue. It is this inherent hardness that can actually make an acrylic call more succeptible to breaking or cracking if struck sharply, especially in temperature extremes. Acrylic can be made in a vast array of color combos and swirls and can be easilly made all nice and pretty with a good shine job to it, but to say an acrylic is more durable and always sounds better than a poly, or for that matter a delrin call is a statment made from someone who hasn't heard a good poly or delrin call tuned and run by an experienced caller/hunter To the OP, I would seriously look at a delrin call or a poly call as your first call, that way, if you end up not liking it or you just decide to give it up alltogether, you won't be out a bunch of money in the first place.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:52 am

dsm16428 wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:

Acrylic might sound better to YOUR EARS, and is why most contests are won using an acrylic call. I said most, because there have been some major contests won with poly calls. Contest judges are human and the human ear just seems to like a sharper, more intense sounding goose call. Have you EVER heard a goose sound like an acrylic call making sounds on a contest stage? Run three of the exact same calls out in a field in an actual HUNTING situation, one acrylic, one delrin and one poly and walk off from the calls about 50-100 yards. Do you think you or the geese will be able to hear the difference? I would bet dollars to doughnuts you...or the geese wouldn't know the dif. The acrylic up close (and especially indoors or in an enclosed environment) might have a little more crack to the sharper notes, while the delrin will have, imo, a more natural, slightly more mellow sound to it, and the poly will have a blend of both. The deciding factor to all this though is how the calls are tuned. My Delrin Gen II slayer has way more high end crack to it than my acrylic calls because that's the way I have them tuned and what guts I run. I aslo don't recommend BIGs to a new caller. A new set of guts with a full reed will give you the best base for becomming a better caller than trying to force yourself to use somebody else's broke in guts and if you like the call, you can always break them in yourself. :thumbsup:

You have also apparently never dopped an acrylic call on a hard surface before have you?! :eek: Drop a poly call and an acrylic call on a hard surface on a COLD morning. I will almost guaranty you the acrylic will shatter while the poly might crack, if it doesn't bounce and a delrin call will quite likely not even develope a scuff. Acrylic is brittle by nature and is considered more durable simply because of its hardness when compared to other call materials. This is untrue. It is this inherent hardness that can actually make an acrylic call more succeptible to breaking or cracking if struck sharply, especially in temperature extremes. Acrylic can be made in a vast array of color combos and swirls and can be easilly made all nice and pretty with a good shine job to it, but to say an acrylic is more durable and always sounds better than a poly, or for that matter a delrin call is a statment made from someone who hasn't heard a good poly or delrin call tuned and run by an experienced caller/hunter To the OP, I would seriously look at a delrin call or a poly call as your first call, that way, if you end up not liking it or you just decide to give it up alltogether, you won't be out a bunch of money in the first place.

To-shay

I have dropped an acrylic call and it landed on concrete. It got a tiny scuff and that's all. I think if you buy an expensive call, you will take care of it better and not drop it in the first place. And I was halfway joking when I said a poly call will break if you drop it wrong. But, I have cracked a poly call just when I was putting guts into it.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:10 pm

shootable Goose wrote:To-shay
I have dropped an acrylic call and it landed on concrete. It got a tiny scuff and that's all. I think if you buy an expensive call, you will take care of it better and not drop it in the first place. And I was halfway joking when I said a poly call will break if you drop it wrong. But, I have cracked a poly call just when I was putting guts into it.

I have had that problem with a few poly calls myself actually. I have a "bad habit" of not being able to NOT mess around with calls and guts and tuning and definetly have noticed that the more and more you change guts in some poly calls, the more you risk cracking the insert. A lot of gut systems like to be TIGHT in a call barrel to work right and acrylic and delrin is by far better at taking that stress than most poly calls for sure. I know what you mean about wanting to take better care of a "higher end" call too. I have probably $600.00 in calls on my regular lanyard and make it a point to always try and know where it's at at all times, especially while setting up and breaking down a set. Would hate to have it get tromped on or banged into a metal game cart or accidentally thrown around! It gets cold here but I don't think it ever gets as cold here as it does out west like where you're at! I have seen what can happen when anice acrylic call gets tossed in the layout on a 5 degree mornig while setting up and the guy reaches down to pick up his lanyard and one of his calls banged against the blind frame and cracked right in half! Talk about pi$$ed?! :mad:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum