Duck Hunting Forum banner

Recommend a call

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Blackfoot down 
#1 ·
Just got into waterfowling last year. I have a BG canada hammer II and double nasty. Also bought bad grammar and have practiced a little. I don't think the BG sounds bad, for some reason I can't get much of a hiccup note (probably me). At what point should I upgrade and what would you guys recommend?

Note I also have a flute call that is really deep and only good for honks. Don't think I could allow myself to part with $200 for a call, maybe $100. Which is why I've been looking at C&S.

#2 ·
A true hiccup is one of the hardest sounds you'll do on a goose call. It took me a solid two years to get it to the point where I felt comfortable enough to use it in the field. You might want to do cheat a bit and do a "cluck-moan" instead of a "moan-cluck." Most guys find that easier to do. If you're looking for a new call (which I'd recommend based on what you have and what you're trying to do) take a look at the sister site to this one, www.goosehuntingchat.com and their calling forum. There's a favorites thread you might find useful. Here's the links...

For calls under $80 bucks ~ http://www.goosehuntingchat.com/forum/g ... 15746.html
For GHC favorites ~ http://www.goosehuntingchat.com/forum/g ... 15747.html

#3 ·
A lot of guys will use what I call a "rolling hiccup" when hunting, rather than two distinct notes.. a moan and a cluck. It's not something you want to start doing if you're interested in contest calling, but it works effectively in the field. It's sort of like "aw-it, aw-it, aw-it" rolling from the moan into the cluck by bringing your tongue up hard to the roof of your mouth and increasing the air pressure to make the "it" portion of the note .... and cut it off.

This is the closest demonstration I could find to what I'm trying to describe as a "rolling hiccup", though Trevor's rendition shows a bit more of a clean break between the notes than I have usually heard in the field.

I happen to like the C&S calls. They don't require a lot of air to run and are higher pitched, like most of the geese I hear. Geese have responded well to them. But, they're not a call to get if you push a lot of air through a call.

#5 ·
kbooger said:
Well I'm not getting into competition calling any time soon. I've heard some of those guys, :bow: but I'll definitely try out what has been suggested.

I feel like I have to put a lot of air through my BG, so maybe that isn't helping me.
Have you learned tuning techniques? I wouldn't bother with trying any trick notes until you've figured out how to tune the call to your liking.

#8 ·
tornadochaser said:
kbooger said:
Well I'm not getting into competition calling any time soon. I've heard some of those guys, :bow: but I'll definitely try out what has been suggested.

I feel like I have to put a lot of air through my BG, so maybe that isn't helping me.
Have you learned tuning techniques? I wouldn't bother with trying any trick notes until you've figured out how to tune the call to your liking.
I pulled my call apart once, that is about the extent of my tuning abilities :lol3: I'll look into it.

#11 ·
noweil said:
Just practice with the flute. You can learn it in no time.
it only makes one note and is extremely hard to blow. Ok I could probably get more than one note but it does take some marathon runner lungs to run. My buddy bought the same one and we couldn't get it to sound like a goose so I'm afraid to take it apart.

#13 ·
kbooger said:
tornadochaser said:
kbooger said:

I pulled my call apart once, that is about the extent of my tuning abilities :lol3: I'll look into it.
Hope you've taken tornadochaser's advice to heart. I've not owned your particular call, but it's a fluke when any given call runs up to it's potential for any given caller without being tuned specifically for him.

#14 ·
A good call is always a nice place to start. If it is tuned nice and you can run it, if there is a nice fit even better. If not, it is nice to have done business with a company that will give you great service and help you get it set up for you. Sound and performance is something that can be built into a call but in the end you need to practice to get the full benefit. Practice and information is the key and there is a ton of good media to learn with. Give Mark at Gander Valley a shout and see what you think of the line up.

#15 ·
Go to a Cabelas, Bass Pro, Rogers whatever is near you and try as many calls as you can. Ive had calls from Foiles, Zink, Sean Mann, and Lynch Mob and I like them all. My favorite by far is the Lynch Mob calls I use that call 90 % of the time and use a Foiles Deeper tuned, and a zink high pitched the rest of the time.

#17 ·
I think most of the folks missed your point that you don't want to drop a lot of money on a decent call. In that case, get the Zink PC-1 for about $30. It is a great call for the money and better than any other cheap call, and most of the expensive ones, I have ever tried! The call requires very little air compared to the BG's. I had a Hammer and a Working Man, both of which took tons of air! I even tried swaping guts, shaving the reed and every trick I know to help the BG's break over easier with less air. No luck for me. The funny thing is that I would not sell my Buckshot duck call for any reason! I just never had any luck with their goose calls. The Zink PC-1 is easy to break in, blows loud or soft, and has a very goosey sound. The low end is amazing for murmurs. The PC-1 is actually a little lower pitched than lessers, but is about right on for greaters. I own several high end goose calls, but my old PC-1 was the call that I went from barely making a cluck to blowing advanced notes like a spit, train, double-cluck, donkey, etc... The PC-1 will always be on my lanyard as my old faithful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.