Reed adjustment question?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Reed adjustment question?

Postby jeepman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:07 am

i have just started to learn how to effectivly use a goose call. i have been learning off of the Bad Grammer DVD which is great but i haven't invested in a quality goose call yet. right now i am using 2 cheap calls a Buck Gardner Honkin Hammer ($50) and a Quack Head($25) to learn on. i like the buck gardner call sound alot better, but the reed is so stiff i struggle to blow notes consistantly compared to the quackhead. both are only few months old so neither are worn in yet i'm guessing. My question is, is there anything i can do to to buck gardner call to lighten the reed so i don't need as much pressure to blow it? i mean it's stiff enough compared to the other call i almost think there is something wrong with the it.
jeepman
hunter

Re: Reed adjustment question?

Postby erp10 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:44 am

Does your buck gardner have a shaved reed? If ot doesnt try that. At the end of the bad grammer dvd Scott shows you how and how to tune your call. Or you could just call Buck Gardner and see if he can retune it for you to break easier.
erp10
hunter

Postby jeepman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:28 am

Thanks for the tip i haven't gotten to the end of the second DVD yet but i'll check that out it might help.
jeepman
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:39 am

jeepman wrote:Thanks for the tip i haven't gotten to the end of the second DVD yet but i'll check that out it might help.

Trevor Shannahan has had a video up on T shaving a reed. It's easier to understand and to do than a conventional thinning of the reed by shaving or sanding. Whatever you do, I'd get a couple extra reeds to play with before you start altering things. Before you do anything else, mark the junction of your reed and wedge with a fine tipped Sharpie pen to help you get the reed back into the same location, if it comes loose or you decide to adjust it.

I just tune the call a little higher in pitch than I want to end up with. Mark the junction of the reed and wedge with a Sharpie pen, and draw a line from the wedge toward the reed tip about 2/3's of the way to the tip and let the ink dry. I shave the ink off the point where the wedge/reed touch and down the center. I usually test the call, then if I need it to run easier, re ink it and scrape off the ink again. Normally, two light shavings is all that is required.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pla ... +call+reed
tripleb
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum