call tuning question

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

call tuning question

Postby zeus50 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:49 am

when retuning, what causes the reed to hang up on a double cluck?

what do i mean? if i try a double cluck, the first cluck comes out no problem, the second cluck just freezes, like the reed sticks down or something.

what is the solution to this? move reed down(my thoughts), tune board further in or out?
zeus50
hunter

Re: call tuning question

Postby zeus50 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:05 am

wanted to add, rest of the notes seem fine, just seems to hang up when i "try" to go "fast"
zeus50
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:07 am

Sounds like your reed is getting caught in the front of the tone channel. You need just a hair more space between the end of the reed and the tone trough. I've had the same issue but for me it usually happens on what most would consider a competition type hail (powerful honk). The call will blow slightly different when you fix the issue. Too far and it won't break over.......you're experiencing too close, so finding the happy medium is key.
jrode237
hunter

Postby tripleb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:18 pm

jrode237 wrote:Sounds like your reed is getting caught in the front of the tone channel. You need just a hair more space between the end of the reed and the tone trough. I've had the same issue but for me it usually happens on what most would consider a competition type hail (powerful honk). The call will blow slightly different when you fix the issue. Too far and it won't break over.......you're experiencing too close, so finding the happy medium is key.

Another option is to bend the tip of the reed up slightly. That will give you some extra clearance between the reed tip and end of the tone channel. It usually will make the call easier to run, though require just a little bit more air volume to operate. The reed tip is bent up about 45 degrees, starting to the right of the black line on the reed, using a hemostat, then released. You don't want to end up with a 45 degree bend, just bend it that far, release it and it will relax to about the point indicated in the picture.

tripleb
hunter

Postby DeonSchauer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:25 pm

try to make it so the tip of the reed just barely fits inside of the trough of the tone board when you push it down and i think that should help. If not see if the company makes it will do re-tunes on it like Zink will.
DeonSchauer
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:33 pm

Nothing really to add. Looks like jrode237 and tripleb covered it all :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:16 pm

also you reed may be upside down. reeds naturally bend a certain way. you can test this by holding the reed with 2 fingers at the very edges of the reed. then lightly squeeze it and it should bend the same way every time. you want the bottom of the bend to be facing down into the town channel, if its the wrong way, then it will get stuck exactly like you have mentioned.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:23 pm

shootable Goose wrote:also you reed may be upside down. reeds naturally bend a certain way. you can test this by holding the reed with 2 fingers at the very edges of the reed. then lightly squeeze it and it should bend the same way every time. you want the bottom of the bend to be facing down into the town channel, if its the wrong way, then it will get stuck exactly like you have mentioned.

Wade Walling says that is doesn't really matter...that's him...just saying :lol:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby zeus50 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:01 am

thanks guys, i had the reed correct, i think i just needed to have it in the "sweet" spot. It took a bit, but its running and sounds great.
zeus50
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:27 am

DeonSchauer wrote:try to make it so the tip of the reed just barely fits inside of the trough of the tone board when you push it down and i think that should help. If not see if the company makes it will do re-tunes on it like Zink will.

A thing which I forgot to mention. I noticed on my shorter calls (and most of mine are short calls), that after a couple of hours of running the call the call would become harder to run, requiring more air pressure to break into a cluck and run slower. I found that all my short calls would do this sooner or later, but it didn't happen as soon, if at all on my longer calls. Apparently, this is caused by the reed rubbing against the back of the tone channel as the reed tip dips into the tone channel, as mentioned by other posters. Either moving the reed forward a bit, as suggested by jrode237, or bending the reed tip usually resolves the problem. If you have a lot of air, moving the reed forward might be the best choice. Since I don't have a lot of air to run a call, it's easier for me to just bend the reed tip up a bit.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:34 am

mayhem96 wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:also you reed may be upside down. reeds naturally bend a certain way. you can test this by holding the reed with 2 fingers at the very edges of the reed. then lightly squeeze it and it should bend the same way every time. you want the bottom of the bend to be facing down into the town channel, if its the wrong way, then it will get stuck exactly like you have mentioned.

Wade Walling says that is doesn't really matter...that's him...just saying :lol:

This is actually incorrect, he stated that if you have the bend down its more of a crisp clean sound where the bend up creates more buzz / trash in the sound, yes you don't have to have the Rees bend down but it does matter on what your lookin to get out of the call.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum