good all around call?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

good all around call?

Postby norcalweaz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:00 pm

i mostly hunt ducks and have put a lot of time in to calling just ducks but the last couple of years have been slowly getting into some goose hunting. whats a reasonably priced call that i could use to target most species? if thats possible. i live in northern california and see a lot of snows, specks, and honkers. thanks for any tips or info. ive got a few cheap calls but figure a little nudge in the right direction might help me out quite a bit.
norcalweaz
hunter

Re: good all around call?

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:47 pm

Hard to use 1 call for 3 species without constantly retuning. I have never been able to get a decent speck sound out of a canada call. IMHO you should get 3 calls.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby berganser » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:30 am

norcalweaz wrote:i mostly hunt ducks and have put a lot of time in to calling just ducks but the last couple of years have been slowly getting into some goose hunting. whats a reasonably priced call that i could use to target most species? if thats possible. i live in northern california and see a lot of snows, specks, and honkers. thanks for any tips or info. ive got a few cheap calls but figure a little nudge in the right direction might help me out quite a bit.

One Call-----Grounds Half Breed :thumbsup:
Hey, Let's go Huntin'!!
Committed Custom Calls! Try one out!!
berganser
hunter

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 pm

Standard Half Breed does it all. Little higher pitched than most honker calls, but it's a Killer for sure. It can call in honkers, little geese, specks, and snows, if you learn to use it. If you prefer more of a straight honker style sound...try the new Half Breed "D". More expensive than the standard Half Breed, but has a deeper honker type sound. Honestly though, you won't find a better killer meat call than the Half Breed.
Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum