Duck Hunting Forum banner

Molt Gear EX3

13K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  jjseman 
#1 ·
Anyone ran one? Specifically in delrin? The thought of a mellower $50 call has my ears perking up.

#3 ·
Don't have a Delrin but have the acrylic and let me just say this call is weird... It maybe has the most finicky guts I have ever tuned. Also it sounds like chite in doors or in the car. I had literally almost given up on it tell I went for a walk and took it with me. This call sounds nasty outdoors. It is probably the most realistic sounding call I've blown. It has a great low end. But seemed to suffer on the top end, probably because of the shaved reed. I threw in a full Reed and it is good to go. It's very strange and I've never experienced something like this. Where it sounds completely different in the car then Out in the field. It really has me baffled but boy does it sound GOOD!

#4 ·
Tipsntails7 said:
Don't have a Delrin but have the acrylic and let me just say this call is weird... It maybe has the most finicky guts I have ever tuned. Also it sounds like chite in doors or in the car. I had literally almost given up on it tell I went for a walk and took it with me. This call sounds nasty outdoors. It is probably the most realistic sounding call I've blown. It has a great low end. But seemed to suffer on the top end, probably because of the shaved reed. I threw in a full Reed and it is good to go. It's very strange and I've never experienced something like this. Where it sounds completely different in the car then Out in the field. It really has me baffled but boy does it sound GOOD!
Are you experienced with tuning? This call is one of the most realistic calls I have ever used. The tone that comes with this call is unmatched by others, it has a goosey hollowness to it. The speed is pretty amazing whether it is on the low end or high end. I don't even own this call and I think it is one of the best calls I have ever used, I've only tried out my brothers (for a few hours). But also, everybody has their own way of calling and their own comfort zone so you never know. Personally, I think it is lethal.

#5 ·
Bull Can said:
Tipsntails7 said:
Are you experienced with tuning? This call is one of the most realistic calls I have ever used. The tone that comes with this call is unmatched by others, it has a goosey hollowness to it. The speed is pretty amazing whether it is on the low end or high end. I don't even own this call and I think it is one of the best calls I have ever used, I've only tried out my brothers (for a few hours). But also, everybody has their own way of calling and their own comfort zone so you never know. Personally, I think it is lethal.
Why don't you own it then? Will you be purchasing the call? :huh:

#7 ·
Bull Can said:
I have a lanyard full of calls man. You go to college and try to justify why you should buy another $150 call when you have a lanyard full of calls that you also like. College budget. Not everybody can go out and just buy every call they like.
I was just curious. You seem to think it's the best call out there. Why wouldn't you sell other calls that you like but aren't as good as it? I am in grad school and do this quite frequently. I only own 3 high dollar duck calls and 1 goose call as I've weeded them out. I guess I'm just wary of advice that says, "Yes, this is the best call ever. Go buy it, but I don't own it."

#8 ·
Sorry if I stated that poorly. It's the best call I HAVE ever blown, go and TRY it and tell me what you think. Maybe it suits you, maybe it doesn't. Personally, I don't like to sell my goose calls, I'd much rather have a collection. Just like a fisherman, not every lure works for every situation; so why go and sell your lures and buy the same lure that worked yesterday when the others all have their time and place? What I'm getting at is, this: the EX3 is an extremely dynamic call with lots of power and low end, but just because it is a phenomenal call, I'm not going to jump ship on my other calls and get rid of them. I prefer not to sell my calls because I love breaking in my own guts, and that is something that not many people have the patience to do today. If I had the money right now would I buy an EX3? You're damn right I would. I can do everything technical on all of my calls on my lanyard that I can do on the EX3; it isn't some magical call that will guarantee a limit or a contest win. But, for the price, I would definitely say that it is the BEST goose call out there, in MY opinion of course. Good luck to you and I hope you find what you're looking for.

#9 ·
Not sure what about my post makes you think I'm inexperienced.. But yes I have and am able to tune calls, I to agree and love the sound but as instated it sounds muted indoors, and acts diffident then another call I've blown(not in a bad way). All that I was saying is that these guts are no walk in the park to tune. The down side is because the way the wedge is designed it has to be pressed in to a certain point to hold the guts together, to me this limits it's tuning capabilities because it eliminates the moving of the block.

#10 ·
I'm curious to hear this muted tone you are hearing. I was just wondering how much tuning experience you had, you are the one who assumed that I was saying you are inexperienced.Personally, I haven't had a tuning issue yet, but not all reeds are created equal. I have a pair of guts that I broke in very well a few years ago and now tuning it takes about an hour to find that sweet spot. Broke in guts tend to be a little more finicky then non-broke guts.

#11 ·
Tipsntails7 said:
Not sure what about my post makes you think I'm inexperienced.. But yes I have and am able to tune calls, I to agree and love the sound but as instated it sounds muted indoors, and acts diffident then another call I've blown(not in a bad way). All that I was saying is that these guts are no walk in the park to tune. The down side is because the way the wedge is designed it has to be pressed in to a certain point to hold the guts together, to me this limits it's tuning capabilities because it eliminates the moving of the block.
I would very interested in seeing a pic of these different guts,any way you could post one?

#12 ·
Bull Can said:
I'm curious to hear this muted tone you are hearing. I was just wondering how much tuning experience you had, you are the one who assumed that I was saying you are inexperienced.Personally, I haven't had a tuning issue yet, but not all reeds are created equal. I have a pair of guts that I broke in very well a few years ago and now tuning it takes about an hour to find that sweet spot. Broke in guts tend to be a little more finicky then non-broke guts.
An hour? I can take Broke in Guts (BIGs) out of a call throw them on my floor pick them up put them back together and put them in a completely different call with no problem.

#13 ·
Bull Can said:
Sorry if I stated that poorly. It's the best call I HAVE ever blown, go and TRY it and tell me what you think. Maybe it suits you, maybe it doesn't. Personally, I don't like to sell my goose calls, I'd much rather have a collection. Just like a fisherman, not every lure works for every situation; so why go and sell your lures and buy the same lure that worked yesterday when the others all have their time and place? What I'm getting at is, this: the EX3 is an extremely dynamic call with lots of power and low end, but just because it is a phenomenal call, I'm not going to jump ship on my other calls and get rid of them. I prefer not to sell my calls because I love breaking in my own guts, and that is something that not many people have the patience to do today. If I had the money right now would I buy an EX3? You're damn right I would. I can do everything technical on all of my calls on my lanyard that I can do on the EX3; it isn't some magical call that will guarantee a limit or a contest win. But, for the price, I would definitely say that it is the BEST goose call out there, in MY opinion of course. Good luck to you and I hope you find what you're looking for.
Different philosophies I guess. The fact they make a delrin version for $50 was a huge selling point for me. I may have to pick one up when they come in stock.

#14 ·
I guess when I say muted I mean they don't have that snap to them, but outside they do, maybe just my house not sure, but they sound different outside then in. I will try and post a pic of the block later tonight, the guts are also made out of much harderaterial then most, I'm guessing so they cannot be broke in anymore.

#15 ·
DMBgoosehunter13 said:
Bull Can said:
An hour? I can take Broke in Guts (BIGs) out of a call throw them on my floor pick them up put them back together and put them in a completely different call with no problem.
Congrats buddy! :clapping:

Did I say that ALL BIGS take an hour? I said mine, and that's tuning for competition calling. And when I say mine, I mean that when I got these guts there wasn't a groove at all. This is years of calling that I broke into these guts.

#20 ·
ColoradoGooser said:
diesel79 said:
I think he means pics of the guts/wedge.
:thumbsup: Bingo
I would to see what is so different about these guts.
Silly me.

#21 ·
TNAL45 said:
Bull Can said:
Different philosophies I guess. The fact they make a delrin version for $50 was a huge selling point for me. I may have to pick one up when they come in stock.
They are in stock at Molt Gear. I talked to Scott yesterday.

#22 ·
Tipsntails7 said:
My calls are all tuned to be high pitched, so if you're used to running a lower pitched call, your experiences may have been different than mine. But, I find that all my calls sound higher in pitch when run indoors. And, when I'm in my Tacoma, they sound higher in pitch and quite unlike they do outdoors. If my driver's side window is open, I can turn and call through the open window and the call almost, but not quite, sounds normal. It's like there is greater back pressure exerted against the call inside a confined space .... the more confinement the more the effect. If I'm indoors and am calling toward a wall across the room, then turn slightly so I'm directing the sound through a large opening into the kitchen, the call pitch drops slightly.

For those reasons, I always go outside to hear how my call really sounds when I'm in the process of tuning a call.

#23 ·

As you can see the guts are cut away in the middle. I really don't see how this benefits the sound at all cool ideas just not sure how practical it really is

#24 ·
Tipsntails7 said:

As you can see the guts are cut away in the middle. I really don't see how this benefits the sound at all cool ideas just not sure how practical it really is
My guess is that it might help "pin down" the reed better at the front of the wedge and at the rear. If you have a wedge which has a straight surface, any inconsistency in the fit of the tone board/reed/wedge in the insert tenon bore could make the wedge press down on a fairly small section of the reed, perhaps allowing it to rock while being run?

#25 ·
Thanks for a pic of the wedge,very different indeed.
Is the tone board any different?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.