Molt Gear EX3

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Re: Molt Gear EX3

Postby Tipsntails7 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:49 pm

No nothing special to me about the tone board, just a set of bigs
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:50 am

Had a chance to try the Delrin version of the EX3 this morning. I picked it up at the post office and played it in the truck .... Tipsntails7 was correct .... it does sound funky being run in a vehicle. On the way home I was thinking to my self: "I'm going to either have to retune this call for me, or put in a different set of guts." But, when I got home and tried it outdoors it did sound very good. It was a little lower in pitch than I prefer, so I shortened up the reed tip to wedge distance to raise the pitch ..... from .530" to .515". It's just a little higher in pitch than I want it, but it will drop when the reed limbers up a bit from being used. Fortunately, as I was running the call while sitting in the back yard, two different small groups of geese were passing by and I got to compare the sound of the call with their calling. It sounded good to me, same sort of goosey resonance as real geese .... and must have sounded good to the geese because both groups diverted from their flight paths enough to pass directly over me.

The call was pretty easy to run, too.
tripleb
hunter

Postby auzymoto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:47 am

I messed with the guts on my call a little thinking they were like any other call I tune! For the life of me I can't get it to sound right! I was wondering if someone could post pics of how they have their guts set up! I don't wanna send it in to Scott cause I like to tune my own call, and wanna learn how to tune the ex3!
auzymoto
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:24 am

auzymoto wrote:I messed with the guts on my call a little thinking they were like any other call I tune! For the life of me I can't get it to sound right! I was wondering if someone could post pics of how they have their guts set up! I don't wanna send it in to Scott cause I like to tune my own call, and wanna learn how to tune the ex3!

I won't post a picture because that won't tell you much. But, on mine, the wedge is in front (mouth end of the call) of the tuning mark. The original setting was .530" from reed tip to wedge. I didn't measure the tuning line on this tone board, but usually the front side of the tuning line is .550", or close to that. Make certain that the reed tip can be pushed down into the tone channel without it touching the back of the tone channel. If it does, you can usually hear a "tic" sound as the reed moves down, or back up. You can move the reed forward a bit, or use a fingernail board to lightly sand the spot on the reed which is making contact. Use another reed between the tone board and reed to protect the toneboard from being damaged during the sanding process. Sand a little bit, then test the reed/tone board clearance. Don't get carried away and sand the heck out of it. If it touches, it will be on one very small point .... usually. Only a couple thousandths (if that much) will need to be sanded. Lightly sand off the burr on the top of the reed and bottom, when you have clearance. Use another reed or thing piece of plastic to protect the tone board when you do so.

For me, the call was very easy to tune. The call will be higher pitched, so it may just sound different from what you're used to. If reed sticking is not an issue, try running the call where you can get a good strong echo so you can hear how it sounds better. I like the higher pitched calls as I have had much better luck with them over the years.

Edit:

I can't say that the guts in the Delrin version are broken in. I didn't remove them when tuning the call, but it doesn't seem to be deeply grooved, if they are. I know Mike Stelzner will offer some "started" guts for his calls and perhaps these are similar. However, I've noticed that these guts, like other guts I've used with a fairly narrow reed in a short call are breaking in very fast. After just an hour or bit more of playing the call, the call is running noticeably smoother on note transitions. I suppose I should have removed them and examined them closely, but I like the way it sounds and don't want to change anything at this point.
tripleb
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:42 am

I played with one this weekend. I was nothing short of disappointed.

The call felt cheap, and sounded as such. I don't consider myself to be a great caller, but I can usually pick up a call, and make it sound, to me, half decent. This was not the case with the EX3.

I would not buy one, unless it was selling for like $35.00.

My daily call is a real thang, and it is exponentially better, IMO.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:11 am

go get the bird wrote:I played with one this weekend. I was nothing short of disappointed.

The call felt cheap, and sounded as such. I don't consider myself to be a great caller, but I can usually pick up a call, and make it sound, to me, half decent. This was not the case with the EX3.

I've not tried a Real Thang, so I can't compare it to one. The EX3D is not going to be a call which will deliver a "big goose" sound. But, if you want a call which will make the high pitched sounds of real geese, the call should be able to deliver it. As the guts are wearing in, I've noticed an improvement in the low end of the call which continues the more I run it. I'm not real crazy about the sound I hear directly from the call .... but the echos I get back and the response I've had so far from real geese tell me it sounds like a real goose .... high pitched, like most excited geese.

I've noticed, though I can't say this is a rule, that guys who have small mouths .... relatively high pitched voices .... ones who would probably be tenors if they were singers, will run the calls I have tuned at a higher pitch than I run them. Sometimes I have been unable to retune the call for them to deliver a normal ranged note. If the call sounds thin and "tinny" to you, perhaps this could be the reason. Not all calls work well for all people.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Go acrylic.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:02 pm

go get the bird wrote:I played with one this weekend. I was nothing short of disappointed.

I'm curious as to what sort of sound you hoped to get out of the Delrin call? A deeper, mellow sound? Higher pitch ..... lots of "crack" to the notes? Usually, the main difference you hear between the acrylic and Delrin versions of the same call when they are tuned the same is that the Delrin call sounds a bit more "mellow" .... something like a wood call, but not quite.

I find the call sounding better the more I use it. And, it definitely has a better sound out in the open than in a confined area. To the immediate east and west of my backyard are two garages. When I play the call in the back yard, I get sound reflections off the garages to the east and west of me. When I step out to the front of the house, there are no obstructions to either side, though I get echos off the house and woods about 100 yards across the street. Out in front, the call and echos sound fine. And, this afternoon as I walked the dogs around a large park pond, a group of 5 geese swam about 200 yards across the pond and followed me around the perimeter as I would blow the call. Perhaps the call would sound better to you after a couple hours of breaking in the reed and guts. Or ..... you might try using some different guts in the call. I've had good luck with Saunders red or blue guts in a number of calls I have switched out. There may be others which work for you, too, in the call. You might have to bevel the substitute tone board as the call appears to have some glodo, which may account for the unique shape of the tone board which comes with the call.

Yesterday, I tried the call in the confined area of my office ... 24'X24' ..... and the call sounded like a polycarb Zink Power Clucker, thin and higher in pitch. It really does sound much better outside in the open. I don't know why that is .... just that it does and fortunately the geese I hunt are outside. :lol3:

Don't give up on the call yet. You may find that with some breaking in it sounds better for you .....or with a simple gut switch, it might turn out to sound like you want. Guts which are not broken in are relatively cheap .... usually around $5 to 7$ for a set. You can have a lot of fun messing around finding out which guts work for you in a given call and which do not ..... or get very frustrated ..... depending on how long the testing takes until you find some combination that does what you want.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Are you buying guts from call companies or straight from the manufacturer?
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:23 am

Bull Can wrote:Are you buying guts from call companies or straight from the manufacturer?

Some like Edge guts (E3 or E4), I buy from the call maker .... or a virtually identical gut (SR03)from WEBFoot Custom Calls. The SR03 is about the same as the GK Edge E4. Saunders guts I buy from the call maker. KOD's, I buy from guy who used to run Flocknockers. Most bigger call makers will sell you gut sets which they use in their own calls.

BTW .... last night curiosity got the better of me and I took out the guts of my Delrin EX3. It uses a conventional stepped wedge, not the one pictured above in this thread. And, while I can't swear to it .... it appears that the tone board is "started" on the break in process, rather than fully broken in. I don't think I've played my call as much as would normally be needed to form the grooves in the side of the tone channel as appear in mine .... that's why I think it's a "started" tone board.

Also, I remember seeing the same type of wedge as pictured above many years ago, but I can't remember what call it was in.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:29 am

Triple , the gut sets in the Delrin and acrylic are two completely different designs, the acrylic is the phantom bigs set, which is fully broke in and has that "phantom wedge". The Delrin has a set of regular started guts. From what I understand the Delrin is more of a traditional designed call as in guts and internal dimensions. Where the acrylic is supposed to have "groundbreaking guts and innerds". I say supposed because it really is just another goose call.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:21 am

Tipsntails7 wrote:Triple , the gut sets in the Delrin and acrylic are two completely different designs, the acrylic is the phantom bigs set, which is fully broke in and has that "phantom wedge". The Delrin has a set of regular started guts. From what I understand the Delrin is more of a traditional designed call as in guts and internal dimensions. Where the acrylic is supposed to have "groundbreaking guts and innerds". I say supposed because it really is just another goose call.

After taking out the guts and looking at them, I thought that was likely the case. I remember someone posting that the guts looked like standard BIGs, when referring to those in an acrylic all. The Delrin call has a bit of "glodo" construction to the inside of the barrel, which normally makes the call break over easier. The position and taper to the transition is what likely requires the tapered shape of the tone board. If a gut switch was attempted, I believe the tone board would also have to be tapered to fit properly.

Last night after I took out and looked at the guts, I decided to lightly shave the reed. That drops the pitch of the call a bit and makes it run smoother on note pitch changes. This morning, I noticed the call was dragging a bit on note changes. I just checked it and the reed tip is barely rubbing against the back of the tone channel as I push the reed down into the tone channel, so I will have to just touch it a bit with the fingernail board to eliminate the rubbing when I get home tonight.

I will say that I do like this call. It has a very realistic sound to it ..... though you have to blow it outdoors to hear the difference. I don't know whether that's due to the Delrin construction, the design of the call, or call guts, all or none of the above, but it works for me and seems, at this point, to work on the geese, too. I have mine tuned a little higher in pitch than it was when received. I think a guy who pushes a lot of air through a call might have issues with it, though.
tripleb
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:27 am

I took a closer look at the insert last night. I don't know how common this is in a goose call, but I'd never noticed it before. Most goose call inserts are a straight .618"-.625" bore .... sometimes with a flare to the bore to some extent. On the EX3D, I noticed that the bore for the guts extends past the exhaust end of the tone board by about 3/8" to 1/2" (I don't have the tools to do an exact internal measurement, so I have to eyeball some of them). Then, there is a short tapered step down in ID to 1/2" (verified with a 1/2" drill bit), which extends about 1/2", then a short tapered step up to .730" and a gradual flare in the next 1/2" to .830".

That's the first time I ever saw a "choke" in a short reed goose call, though Lohman used to make a flute which had interchangeable washer like inserts which had different ID's and fitted into the call at the exhaust end which served the same purpose, to increase or change back pressure.
tripleb
hunter

Previous

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum