Easy to use high end call?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Postby richyrich307 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:52 am

Fairly new to goose calls and am having a hard time making a decision on what call to get. I want something that is pretty easy to blow but I also want something that I can progressively get better with. Here are the calls I am looking at. Please help me decide guys.

Zinc COD
Zinc Money Maker
Tim Grounds Super MAG
Tim Grounds Pro Super Mag
LMC Closer
LMC xfactor
Field Proven Matreix
richyrich307
hunter

Re: Easy to use high end call?

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:03 am

richyrich307 wrote:Fairly new to goose calls and am having a hard time making a decision on what call to get. I want something that is pretty easy to blow but I also want something that I can progressively get better with. Here are the calls I am looking at. Please help me decide guys.

Zinc COD
Zinc Money Maker
Tim Grounds Super MAG
Tim Grounds Pro Super Mag
LMC Closer
LMC xfactor
Field Proven Matreix

I can only speak for the zink calls you have mentioned. One of the things I here most from people is that they don't like the bell end on zink calls. For some it's uncomfortable, others can get used to it, and some people just don't have big enough hands to comfortably and correctly hold the call. So if your hands arent small, I would give zink calls a try. They are easy learn on and of course sound great, and they leave you lots of room for improvement, to expand into more advanced notes. If possible, go to a cabelas and try out all the calls.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:55 am

I have heard the same thing. Especially with the bell on the money maker. My wife is headed to cabelas right now to return a SR-1 I purchased as I am at work. Couldnt get a note out of it so I opened it up to find a huge chunk missing from the tuning board. I just spoke with her and told her just to get the PC-1. Like I said I am new to calling and the season opener is just around the corner. Figured I would play it safe and pick up something I can blow super easy as I do not have much time to figure the call out. I want to be shooting birds not scaring them away. I think after I figure the pc1 out I will be looking into more LMC's stuff or possibly the COD.
richyrich307
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:10 am

richyrich307 wrote:I have heard the same thing. Especially with the bell on the money maker. My wife is headed to cabelas right now to return a SR-1 I purchased as I am at work. Couldnt get a note out of it so I opened it up to find a huge chunk missing from the tuning board. I just spoke with her and told her just to get the PC-1. Like I said I am new to calling and the season opener is just around the corner. Figured I would play it safe and pick up something I can blow super easy as I do not have much time to figure the call out. I want to be shooting birds not scaring them away. I think after I figure the pc1 out I will be looking into more LMC's stuff or possibly the COD.

The power clucker is a great call. I have it in poly. It's probably the easiest of all calls to do honks and clucks. And I think you already know this, but it's pretty limited as far as double clucks, and other fast notes go. But it's also great for moans and murmurs. The pc1 will definitely kill geese for sure. If you need any help just pm me. :thumbsup:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:53 pm

shootable Goose wrote:
richyrich307 wrote:I have heard the same thing. Especially with the bell on the money maker. My wife is headed to cabelas right now to return a SR-1 I purchased as I am at work. Couldnt get a note out of it so I opened it up to find a huge chunk missing from the tuning board. I just spoke with her and told her just to get the PC-1. Like I said I am new to calling and the season opener is just around the corner. Figured I would play it safe and pick up something I can blow super easy as I do not have much time to figure the call out. I want to be shooting birds not scaring them away. I think after I figure the pc1 out I will be looking into more LMC's stuff or possibly the COD.

The power clucker is a great call. I have it in poly. It's probably the easiest of all calls to do honks and clucks. And I think you already know this, but it's pretty limited as far as double clucks, and other fast notes go. But it's also great for moans and murmurs. The pc1 will definitely kill geese for sure. If you need any help just pm me. :thumbsup:

Will do. Thanks I really appreciate it!
richyrich307
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:42 pm

All calls are easy to blow of you watch Bad Grammar.
The Tim Grounds Pro May is an awesome call.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Triple Crown
Takeem406
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:43 pm

For me, out of the calls you listed, I would tend to lean towards the COD :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Rajah » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 am

I'm more of an average caller and I find the easiest to use are GK. Add the LG-1 to your list.
Bazinga!!
Rajah
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:36 am

It is not on your list, but it has been the call I read about often and have had success with helping others learn on. The powerhouse or HYBRID that Gander Valley Calls produces. It fits your hand properly, long insert makes the call easy to run and it sounds amazing. My boys had tried many calls and this one was the call that really helped them to get over the hump. It was nice that the owner offered free lessons to help them get going.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:55 am

I started with the PC-1 last night and was already able to get decent honks and clucks out of it (well they seemed decent to me anyways). I also ordered Bad Grammar this morning. Once I really get this call figured out I will be looking into the high end stuff again. I still like what I am hearing and reading about LMC though. I guess it is a toss up between LMC, Gander, and TG's. I just think once I get the PC-1 figured out switching over to any of these guys calls will be much easier.
richyrich307
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:48 am

Pro super mag hands down.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum