How to fix a pitchy goose call?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

How to fix a pitchy goose call?

Postby saskhunter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm

So i just bought a Buck Gardener canada hammer II and it sounds like a party horn. Whenever i do my clucks it sounds absolutly terible. This is my first goose call and idk what to do about it. Does anybody have any idea what im doing wrong or how to fix this? :help:
saskhunter
hunter

Re: How to fix a pitchy goose call?

Postby tripleb » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:39 pm

It's hard to tell from the information given exactly what is the problem, but your having mentioned that it's your first goose call suggests that you probably need some good coaching on how to run it. I'd get a copy of Molt Gear's (Scott Threinen) DVD, "Bad Grammer" to start. Watch it several times and follow the instructions closely. If you have anyone near you who can coach you, face to face, that would be of great help. There's so many things you can do wrong on a call that it's nearly impossible to say what specifically you might be doing wrong.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:49 pm

I also suggest bad grammar and what I will say is since its your first call you are most likely not bringing the air up correctly, you are blowing into the call instead of pushing air through it.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:56 am

Call their shop and ask them to help you out, if they will not or can not. Then find a new company to deal with that will be there to have your back when you need it. Service is a huge part of this industry, but you need to ask to get. It is hard to give you advice on the tune or your calling with no audio to judge on. Best of luck!
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:58 am

Instructional video would be a great start. Learn the fundamentals of running a short reed and also learn the fundamentals of tuning a short reed. Lots of good videos out there for sale or on youtube.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:58 pm

tripleb wrote:It's hard to tell from the information given exactly what is the problem, but your having mentioned that it's your first goose call suggests that you probably need some good coaching on how to run it. I'd get a copy of Molt Gear's (Scott Threinen) DVD, "Bad Grammer" to start. Watch it several times and follow the instructions closely. If you have anyone near you who can coach you, face to face, that would be of great help. There's so many things you can do wrong on a call that it's nearly impossible to say what specifically you might be doing wrong.

Right on the money :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby TJP » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:28 pm

I also thought my Canada Hammer II sounded toy-like when I first got it. Make sure you're pushing air through the call correctly. The biggest thing I personally had to work on was hand position to create the right back pressure in order to get rid of the "party horn" sound.
TJP
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum