RNT Specklebelly call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

RNT Specklebelly call

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Anybody run one? How do they compare to other companies speck calls?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Re: RNT Specklebelly call

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:58 am

I like 'em. When one of the first poly RNTs came my way, the two then-current acrylic darlings of the speck calling world I was alternating between both went down the road, and I now own two acrylic RNTs: one that's on the lanyard and one to experiment with reeds and their tuning. That said, I've been running calls with much the same working dimensions as the RNT since 1983, so I'm quite comfortable operating calls with what are now considered "small guts".

The trend now is toward "big guts" like those used in Redbone and Riceland calls. And while Jason Cambell managed a 2nd in the "Worlds" against them with a $10 poly RNT some years back, big guts now dominate most competitions and have set the current tone standards for them (at least to my tin ear). An oft cited advantage to big guts that I'm now inclined to agree with is ease of use. They're apparently more forgiving of back pressure variance. (Saw that for myself when a little farm release gator tore up my index finger, which I wouldn't think critical to back pressure, and I couldn't run an RNT with the wound but had no trouble with the Riceland that shares the lanyard with it.)

As to field application, each type is setup to have it's own tone and volume advantages, and whether I use the Riceland or RNT depends largely on where I am, what the birds are doing and what other hunters around me are doing.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks for the info Rick. I appreciate your oppinion, bought one today should be here in a week.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:42 pm

It seems Rick and I share something else. I just got my hands on a riceland recently, but have been using an RNT for years. My riceland requires less air to run than my RNT, and in turn makes it a little quicker to run. They're both great calls, just different in some ways.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby BDK » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:10 am

I just picked a rnt acrylic speck call looks brand new.from someone for 70 bucks couldnt pass it up now have to.learn to use it
BDK
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:12 pm

They're great calls. I hope you enjoy it.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby BDK » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:26 pm

I dont think mine is tuned Rightso doesnt get.that brake over.sound so iv been moving the reed.in and out.tryin.to.find sweet spot . when you do a yodel to u pinch each note off or is it one big note
BDK
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:15 am

Try watching some of the videos on youtube on speck calling.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Since you're messing with tuning, this instructional might be useful, with special attention to what follow the two minute and forty second mark:
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby BDK » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks
BDK
hunter

Postby zbitner82 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:23 pm

I am new to speck calling. I recently bought a RNT Acrylic Speck call. I am starting to get it figured out....one problem I am having is the reed will start to lock up on me after I have been calling for a few minutes. I have to take the insert out and blow in the reverse end of the call to get all of my spit out! HAHA I have been duck calling and Canadian Goose calling for a long time and have never had a problem with that. It must just be the different way of blowing in to the call along with it having small guts. Is there anything I can do to the call to prevent or at least help this problem? I am sure it will be even worse on those real cold days when the call wants to freeze on me.
Semper Fi, Marines
zbitner82
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum